Customer Discussions > childrens books discussion forum

Books for a nine year girl old with an older reading age....without snogging and too much boy stuff

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 214 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Sep 2012 19:16:42 BDT
Hi there trying to find books for my nine year old to read. She has read Michael Morpugo and jacqueline Wilson. Im trying to find books that will stetch her and are interesting but are without too much boy stuff snogging etc.
Thanks for reading
T

Posted on 29 Sep 2012 19:49:29 BDT
Depends on how far you want to stretch her, but at 9 I was reading some of the Anne McCaffrey books (specifically Dragonsong and Dragonsinger, as far as I remember the only boy stuff is her making friends.) In teenage books there's the Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot, Withering Tights by Louise Rennisson, Percy Jackson books by Rick Riordan, Strange Angels by Lili St Crow, Karen McCombie (the Ally's world book has about 16 in it now I think). Depending on what you want your child to read I'd recommend getting them out the library and scanning through them

Posted on 29 Sep 2012 20:41:18 BDT
Frenchie says:
If she likes animals, I would suggest all the books in the series of Animal Ark.
Here is one of them:
Kittens in Trouble: Kittens in the Kitchen AND Kitten in the Cold (Animal Ark)

my 9 year old daughter enjoyed them and there is definintely no snogging.

Posted on 29 Sep 2012 22:35:54 BDT
Andrea says:
Try Gatty's Tale by Kevin Crossley Holland. Great story.

Posted on 29 Sep 2012 22:48:19 BDT
Jan says:
What about The White Dolphin by Gill Lewis or the David Walliams books, or maybe The Chronicles of Narnia or The Hobbit. My grandaughter has even read some of The Famous Five books by Enid Blyton

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Sep 2012 11:16:26 BDT
old scot says:
"The Ship that Flew" by Hilda Lewis

Posted on 30 Sep 2012 13:44:02 BDT
Ruthie says:
Some of the old-fashioned books are best as there's definitely no snogging! I remember enjoying all of the 'Little House on the Prairie' series when I was at primary school, along with 'Swallows and Amazons' and 'The Hobbit'.

Posted on 30 Sep 2012 20:30:27 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Sep 2012 20:35:06 BDT
P.J. Taylor says:
Hi Miss Powell,

I agree with some of the suggestions on here already such as The Hobbit. I would also recommend The Ghost of Thomas Kemp and also Moondial and Brian, His Granddad & the Cup of Ages. The latter two books both have strong female characters in them.

Best wishes.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Oct 2012 14:04:18 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Oct 2012 10:52:38 BDT
LEP says:
Go for some of the more classic books including modern classics, the language used is usually slightly harder than contemporary books anyway, so will probably stretch her more.

e.g.
Tom's Midnight Garden - Philippa Pearce
Carrie's War - Nina Bawden
Five Children and It - E Nesbit
Tom Sawyer - Mark Twain
Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
Anne of Green Gables series (takes Ann from childhood upto marriage) - L Montgomery
The Railway Children - E Nesbit
Stig of the Dump - Clive King
The Borrowers - Mary Norton
The Indian in the Cupboard - Lynne Reid Banks
Swallows and Amazons - Arthur Ransome
Ballet Shoes series - Noel Streatfield
The Silver Sword - Ian Serraillier
Clockwork - Philip Pullman
The Secret of Platform 13 - Eva Ibbotson (+ many more books)
His Dark Materials trilogy - Philip Pullman
Children of the New Forest - Captain Marryat
Moonfleet - John Meade Faulkner
A Wizard of Earthsea - Ursula Le Guin
The Wolves of Willoughby Chase - Joan Aiken
The Call of the Wild - Jack London
The Owl Service - Alan Garner
The Chronicles of Narnia - C S Lewis

No snogging, clean and appropriate for children, however, Captain Marryat does introduce the first ever teen hero LOL.

Posted on 1 Oct 2012 21:24:41 BDT
biba123 says:
Maybe try some of the classics?
Little House on the Prairie or The Railway Children are cute, light stories
Also anything Enid Blyton, i always liked the "Naughtiest Girl" series and I also agree with the Hobbit, its a great read

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Oct 2012 21:51:16 BDT
Gordinflon says:
Try Timekeepers by Simon Lee, my niece enjoyed it.

Posted on 1 Oct 2012 21:54:25 BDT
Mrs S says:
Sally Gardner books are fantastic-Maggot Moon, The Red Necklace/ Silver Blade, and The Double Shadow. They are fantastically written and really exciting stories, all very different without snogging/ sexual content for the sake of it.

Posted on 2 Oct 2012 11:05:59 BDT
I agree with many of the above, especially Tom's Midnight Garden, The Hobbit, Ballet Shoes, Little House on the Prairie and The Wolves of Willoughby Chase.

Would also recommend A Little Princess and The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgeson Burnett, Black Beauty by Anna Sewell, and books by David Almond - Skellig is the most famous. She might also like some Judy Blume if she likes Jacqueline Wilson - most of them are more about friendships than boyfriends, like Just So Long As We're Together and Blubber.

Tamora Pierce is a fantastic writer if she doesn't mind a bit of magic - The Circle of Magic series is really good and starts with The Magic in the Weaving (in the US it is called Sandry's Book).

Will let you know if I remember any other gems, hope you find something she likes!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Oct 2012 11:19:57 BDT
Taff Lovesey says:
My own series The Portal Chronicles may be interest.
Just search for Taf Lovesey on Amazon.

Note too that I am arrranging for the first in the series, The Spider Gem, to be available as a free download on Amazon from 10th - 14th October so a chnace to try it out for free.
If your daughter likes reading the fatasy genere (Harry Potter, Narnia, Garth Nox etc;) then I think she'd enjoy this series - but of course I am a little biased :-)

Rgds
Taff Lovesey

Posted on 2 Oct 2012 14:11:45 BDT
Faye Frances says:
Captain Twig and the Sky Pirates are an excellent series

Posted on 2 Oct 2012 17:05:10 BDT
Rosie Pink says:
My daughter loved the first 2 Val Rutt books, as well as myself and her grandmother! They are called The Race for the Lost Keystone and The Mystery of the Darkstone. Great fun, riveting sci-fi ish adventure with a brother and sister as the central characters, a biker great-aunt and her evil sister, and a talking cat and dog! My whole family also really enjoyed Ready, Steady, Dig! and Gnome or Mr Nice Guy by Rosalind Winter, available on kindle. Again silly fun and highly entertaining, starts off with a young girl who I think is around age 9 discovering a Roman ruin and the lares who guard the treasure within.

Posted on 3 Oct 2012 12:12:47 BDT
AF says:
Just to add to LEB's excellent list, "The Dark is Rising" series by Susan Cooper and "Urn Burial" by Robert Westall.

Posted on 3 Oct 2012 16:38:36 BDT
CGC Daniel says:
My daughter loved Julia Golding's 'Cat Royal' series.

Maybe your daughter might like to take a look at Harriet - the Thing from Beyond...

Posted on 4 Oct 2012 01:28:52 BDT
Angela says:
Jennie by Paul Gallico is amazing. It had such a profound effect on me as a child and the memory of it still stays with me, a good 20 years ago now. A true classic. I even wrote a book review on it for school.
Essential Modern Classics - Jennie

Posted on 4 Oct 2012 11:22:55 BDT
The 'My Story' and 'My Royal Story' series are good. Fictional characters in the My Story books set around historical periods or events. The 'Ingo' series by Helen Dunmore are fab too!
I reckon classics are a good bet too ......

Posted on 4 Oct 2012 13:59:43 BDT
Book Worm says:
Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian

Posted on 4 Oct 2012 18:56:49 BDT
Journeys of the Guardians' Key would be perfect.

Posted on 4 Oct 2012 21:59:29 BDT
Every single thing that user LEP said above plus The Babysitter Club books.

Posted on 4 Oct 2012 22:09:15 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 15 Feb 2013 04:57:09 GMT]

Posted on 5 Oct 2012 12:16:37 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Oct 2012 18:29:42 BDT
Dassie says:
Try the SHADOWS FROM THE PAST series by Wendy Leighton-Porter: time-travel adventures featuring three 10-year-old children and a Tonkinese cat. Aimed at the 8-12 age group, but will definitely stretch readers, as there's lots to learn as well as being exciting adventure stories. The Shadow of Atlantis, The Shadow of the Minotaur and The Shadow of the Trojan Horse are the first three in the series.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the childrens books discussion forum

This discussion

Participants:  172
Total posts:  214
Initial post:  29 Sep 2012
Latest post:  23 May 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions