Customer Discussions > childrens books discussion forum

Looking for dog books with happy endings

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Jul 2014 16:40:09 BDT
broxi3781 says:
Hi, I am looking for fictional dog stories with happy endings for a nearly 6 year old boy. He has outgrown most picture books so we would need something a bit longer but so many of the good dog stories end with the dog dying.
So far his favourite ahs been Kavik The Wolf Dog - and I have ordered another book by the same author.
A close second is : One Dog and His Boy

I am afraid you can not answer this without some spoilers so anyone really against spoilers should most likely skip the replies. I very much want spoilers rather than a sad child over bedtime stories. He does prefer books for much older children in general though, we just don't want anything too depressing.

His favourite breed is the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, followed by wolf dogs and German shepherds. In addition to dogs he likes war stories, especially Stalingrad, but then any dog story set during the battle of Stalingrad is apt to end with dinner. He especially likes stories that include a boy as well.

If you are the author of a book of dog stories for older children, please let us know you are the author when replying. I'll still have a look at it, but a recommendation from the author is not quite the same as reader recommendation.

Posted on 14 Jul 2014 19:17:28 BDT
BM says:
He might be a bit young yet but there is a series of books by Josh Lacey called the Grk series which features a dog and a boy (actually 2 boys and a girl). My son adores this series still (he's now 9) but he started them around the age of 7.5 or 8, reading them himself. If you were going to read them to your son he might be able to manage them. I think they are well written and the stories are quite gripping to for that age group. (They need reading in order though. The first one is this:
A Dog Called Grk (A Grk Book)

Posted on 15 Jul 2014 08:51:31 BDT
BM says:
Sorry too not to!

Posted on 17 Jul 2014 09:46:58 BDT
BM says:
And I thought of another one with dogs in. The Mudpuddle Farm series by Michael Morpurgo (which is about the only books he's written where no animals die!) which are for 5-8 year olds I would estimate and are brilliant....

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2014 21:43:13 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Jul 2014 22:08:05 BDT
LEP says:
Try the Animal Ark series. There are two age levels, Little Ark 4 - 7 and Animal Ark 8+. They are animal stories. Animal Ark is a vets clinic and the stories are based on the vet's daughter and her friend and different animals that feature in each book. If you type in Animal Ark into Amazon Search, Books, above, it will come up with a list. My son loved them.

Michael Morpurgo has written several books featuring dogs, but they might be a bit old for him as yet. Try Dick King Smith he has written as least one book featuring a dog and his books are about the right age-range, e.g. The Guard Dog; The Invisible Dog; Titus Rules, OK.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  14 Jul 2014
Latest post:  19 Jul 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions