Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Up to 70% off Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > childrens books discussion forum

Books for a nine year girl old with an older reading age....without snogging and too much boy stuff

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 214 posts in this discussion
Posted on 23 Apr 2013 22:11:31 BDT
Paolo's Pizzas is my book. No one as read it yet. Took me 10 years to write, on and off. I like it.

Posted on 24 Apr 2013 15:36:28 BDT
A Midsummer Night's Dream the Graphic Novel: Quick Text (Classical Comics)

As a publisher of books for schools I'm biased, but how about a Shakespeare title? A lot of the graphic novels we produce are for an older age (because of story content) but this one should be suitable for a 9-year-old wanting to expand their reading scope: A Midsummer Night's Dream the Graphic Novel: Quick Text.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Apr 2013 16:57:43 BDT
The Bollywood Series! http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=bollywood%20series

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Apr 2013 20:03:24 BDT
If she likes short stories.... Whoopee (Whoopee: Vintage Fun Book 1) Whoopee 2 has more for girls maybe, or there is a combined version just out http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CHRACY8
Would love some feedback if you do buy or borrow...can find me at www.facebook.com/jharringtonauthor
All the best
Jonathan (UK)

Posted on 25 Apr 2013 21:18:08 BDT
I would recommend the Warrior Cat books by Erin Hunter. There full of action. And there are 4 series, each with 6 books. That should keep your daughter busy!

Posted on 25 Apr 2013 21:20:20 BDT
P.S book 1 is Into the wild

Posted on 26 Apr 2013 08:14:36 BDT
Ian says:
What is really boring on this page is the people who go on about other authors self promoting.The books they are promoting MAY actually fit the bill.It's becoming as snobbish as the publishing world in general.How are new authors going to gain recognition.The very reason they self publish is because the world of publishing is so difficult to penetrate and they have a monopoly.Kindle is meant to overcome that monopoly and give everyone a chance.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Apr 2013 16:22:08 BDT
L O Farrell says:
would she be interested in something more 'old school'? - pun intended - boarding school adventure where a student befriends a ghost and the two get up to all sorts - geared at teens but suit serious preteen readers - this is girls boarding school stuff - along the lines of Mallory Towers but with a different slant - check out the link
K-Girls (Kylemore Abbey School Book 1)

Posted on 26 Apr 2013 16:56:51 BDT
broxi3781 says:
There is a page for authors to self promote. its called the authors page. Look at the responses here - the only people wanting authors to promote are authors. And most of these posts are years old, authors lok for anything to slap their advertisements on burying any genuine conversation - but the worst of is - I've looked at the first pages of many of these books - and most are horrid. Who would subject a child to that? Everyone wants to be an author but just as many people who stand up on a karaoke night are not really talented singers , most of the ones so desperate to sell a book no one wants to read, are not really talented authors.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Apr 2013 18:41:52 BDT
Eli says:
There's a trilogy: My Friend Flicka, Thunderhead, and The Green Grass of Wyoming that was written before the word snogging first appeared.
They're about horses and a rancher's family - I still love them.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Apr 2013 19:08:00 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
If authors behaved responsibly then we wouldn't have these "boring" posts complaining about self promotion. It has nothing to do with "being snobbish"; it's about behaving with integrity, and treating potential customers and other writers with respect. It has been made abundantly clear that self promotion is not only unwelcome on these threads; it actually breaks Amazon's rules. Of course authors need to promote their work, but there are right ways and wrong ways to do this; fly-posting illicit adverts on these threads is a totally wrong way.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Apr 2013 07:20:35 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 27 Apr 2013 12:18:03 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Apr 2013 07:25:05 BDT
Ian says:
Boring,like I say...I'm now off to check out Jonathan's book because his post looks quite interesting and answers the ladie's question.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Apr 2013 07:54:58 BDT
Ian says:
Jonathan,I tried to download a sample of your book and it hasn't' downloaded for some reason.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Apr 2013 08:00:37 BDT
Ian says:
Sou weather,I don't agree.OK Amazon have now made the rules but this is a way of bringing buyers and sellers together.Surely that benefits everyone including Amazon...but who am I to talk about marketing?

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Apr 2013 09:16:09 BDT
Sorry to hear that - no idea why! There's Whoopee or Whoopee 1&2 or drop me a note to jharringtonauthor on Facebook and I'll send you some.
On the other issue I'm fairly new here and was just answering the question - but hey no wish to offend anyone
Thanks
Jonathan

Posted on 27 Apr 2013 12:03:00 BDT
broxi3781 says:
Ian - you have the authors page to share each others books, but many of us would like to buy books for our children. We can't discuss books because all of the other parents have been driven off the site. The only ones who want to read the authors books are other authors - so why not post there and let buyers have a site as well? I have however started an authors thread here as well - if Amazon doesn't delete it. if the authors could keep to one thread it would be fine. and please don't pretend any of you are really trying to help a parent who posted years ago find a book. the only reason people dredge these posts up is self promotion but let me ask you would you read a book with 20 pages of ads for every page of text? No - but that is exactly what you have turned this forum into.

Posted on 27 Apr 2013 23:17:14 BDT
My 8 year old girl has a reading age of 12, but she still loves books written for 8 year olds as the content is appropriate. Her comprehension of more advanced works is fantastic, but she likes to read for fun and enjoys things like The Wimpy Kid series, India Kidd series and similar. She is reading The Dork Diaries just now, which I think is aimed at an older group than her as the girl in it is 14 and there is a love interest, but they only hold hands - no snogging, and it is more about her relationships in school with her best friends, her family, her enemies and so on. She also loved The Hunger Games and The Hobbit.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Apr 2013 09:41:14 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
Absolutely. Authors spamming here isn't bringing them together with readers - it's driving a dirty great wedge between them.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Apr 2013 10:06:52 BDT
KarCup says:
Hi. My books in the Eidland series are what you are looking for. They are fun and good Reading material. They are not one bit 'too much boy stuff' quite the opposite. These books are fantasy, but there is a serious element, as they do relate to things that go on in the world. You won't be disappointed. Best of Luck. Karin Cupper,
Author, Eidland.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Apr 2013 16:27:52 BDT
Bird lover says:
If she likes animals and birds, a good story mainly in dialogue between a 9 year old and a retired old farmer with 190 colour pictures to make it a living experience for her. Its called "Tales of Hollow Tree Farm" and see what some of the reviewers have said it is a MUST.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Apr 2013 16:31:16 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
For a start, spamming and self promotion on these threads is against the rules - as anyone who'd taken the trouble to actually participate in these discussions would soon realise. However, more objectionable is the fact that this author seems to have given their own books 5* reviews; showing a marked lack of modesty and also breaching Amazon rules.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Apr 2013 20:11:36 BDT
Am Basteir says:
try Eva Ibbotson - Dragonfly Pool or Journey to the River Sea

Posted on 30 Apr 2013 20:00:23 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 30 Apr 2013 22:11:11 BDT]

Posted on 30 Apr 2013 21:47:19 BDT
Try the Fishing Buddies. The female character tends to get the better of her male counterparts.
The Fishing Buddies: 3 (A Visit to Pawpaw's)

Also Our Good Neighbors and Friends. ( Please forgive the "Americanized" spelling of neighbours.)
Our Good Neighbors and Friends: 2 (A Visit to Pawpaw's)
This book has strong female role models without being too over the top. It is also in kindle formats. Thank you.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  172
Total posts:  214
Initial post:  29 Sep 2012
Latest post:  23 May 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions