Customer Discussions > childrens books discussion forum

Recommendations for books for 8 year old girl with a reading age of 11

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 235 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2012 12:15:01 GMT
Ian Atkinson says:
Many thanks - Is yours being 'Kindleized' at all in the near future?

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2012 16:50:33 GMT
JDA says:
Hopefully...that's the next step in the process.

Posted on 5 Jan 2012 19:39:54 GMT
Wonderland says:
My daughter is the same age and while she has a high reading age she is very nervous of anything remotely scary. She re-reads all the Noel Streatfield books (Ballet Shoes. The Painted Garden etc). Chris Riddell's Ottoline series is perhaps a bit young now but great fun, also his other titles: Fergus Crane/Corby Flood/Hugo Pepper; David Walliams' books recommended; the series of My Story (Historical novels written in diary form); Eva Ibbotson's Dragonfly Pool; Roman Mysteries series....

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2012 20:13:07 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Jan 2012 20:35:21 GMT
LEP says:
Try Michael Morpurgo's books, he's written a lot of animal books e.g. Shadow; The Butterfly Lion (which is lovely, if a bit sad in places).

Then there's the Flambards series by K M Peyton.
Fly-by-Night - Peyton
Follyfoot - Monica Dickens
My Friend Flicka - Mary O'Hara
National Velvet - Enid Bagnold
The Silver Brumby - Elyne Mitchell
A Stable for Jill - Ruby Ferguson
Sky Hawk - Gill Lewis
Tom's Midnight Garden - P Pearce
Swallows and Amazons series - Arthur Ransome
Library of Athena series - Christine Norris
Five Children and It - Nesbit
The Railway Children - E Nesbit

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2012 22:18:22 GMT
LEP says:
Non-fiction - Bumble the Brave Kitten: In Association with Cats Protection by Samantha Hay

Posted on 6 Jan 2012 20:39:51 GMT
Gerta Life says:
Try this one, it's the ultimate escapism into the World of Fantasy and the Animal Kingdom at it's very best!

The Kindred Chronicles - Book One - The Corvid Prophecy: Part One - Jo-Jo Feather & The Fledgling Prince

Posted on 7 Jan 2012 10:16:10 GMT
JDA says:
A newly published book, Sky Lights by Barclay Baker, comes highly recommended by children from 8 - 12 years of age in UK and USA.

Posted on 7 Jan 2012 14:33:27 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 7 Jan 2012 14:34:04 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2012 22:27:05 GMT
Lindzz says:
I'm a newly published author of a book aimed at 9-12 year olds. The book is called The Firestone Crystal, and hopefully, may appeal to your daughter. Sample chapter is available for reading on Amazon.

Regards

Linda

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2012 15:54:48 GMT
First Review says:
Molly Perkins-Time Travel Detective! Try this funny adventure. It's free on kindle for three days from tomorrow 9th Jan

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2012 23:04:24 GMT
starzi says:
A new book out on Kindle aimed at 8- 14 year olds.Galastra (The Space Adventures of J.B.R.)

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Feb 2012 16:47:16 GMT
W. RULE says:
ballet shoes is good!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Feb 2012 21:20:52 GMT
My daughter is the same age and is devouring Michael Morpurgo books at the moment and some of them are tying in well with historical things that she is doing at schoo. Before this phase she enjoyed all of the Dahl books....but she has moved on! Hope this helps. She has just finished Kaspar the Prince of cats and the other one she loved was Adolphus tips....good luck,

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2012 20:32:53 BDT
M. Sheridan says:
If she likes animals I have a series of three books out on Kindle about a rescued feral kitten called Mikie:
Mikie Finds a Family
Mikie Family and Friends
Mikie and the Great Kitten Christmas
Fun, for her age range but also some positive learning about challenges and relationships. She may also like "A Wilder Quest" about a boy who can talk to animals he, his friends and grandfather are asked to help take the last English Wild cat to Scotland.

Mandy Sheridan

Posted on 2 May 2012 23:27:00 BDT
M. Byrne says:
i was similar at that age and my favourites were:

obviously harry potter
anything by enid blyton (st. clare's and mallory towers are probably most reading age appropriate or perhaps the faraway tree).
anything by roald dahl
anything by michael morpurgo
anything by jaqueline wilson (beware though some of her books are aimed at older children, avoid love lessons and kiss for a while yet)
the secret garden
black beauty
the fire within by chris d'lacy
the wind in the willows
his dark materials (maybe wait a few years on that one!)

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2012 18:31:23 BDT
Mybe you should get her the 'warrior cats' (by Erin Hunter) I started reading the books at 10 and they are really good! The first book in the series is 'Into the wild'

In reply to an earlier post on 5 May 2012 11:12:21 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 5 May 2012 22:18:25 BDT]

Posted on 5 May 2012 18:31:16 BDT
Emily H says:
I really enjoyed Roald Dahl between those ages, so i would recommend Matilda and The giraffe the pelly and me if she likes animals :)

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2012 10:50:31 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 13 May 2012 13:21:32 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2012 19:50:32 BDT
chrisader says:
Some other good books could include
Carol Barton - Princess Wishes Series Princess Wishes (World of Wishes)
Carol Barton - Mermaid Wishes Series Mermaid Wishes (World of Wishes)
Carol Barton - Unicorn Wishes series Unicorn Wishes (World of Wishes)
Gerald Durrell - The Aye-Aye and I The Aye-aye and I: A Rescue Mission in Madagascar (Revival)
Karen McQuestion - Celia and the Fairies Celia and the Fairies
L M Montgomery - Anne of Green Gables Series Anne of Green Gables (Centenary Edition)
Helen Moss - Adventure Island series Adventure Island: The Mystery of the Whistling Caves
Jules Bronte - The Royal Wedding Adventure The Royal Wedding Adventure: Trouble-Solving Trio

Posted on 14 May 2012 13:50:29 BDT
AK85 says:
Pigeon Tails

Posted on 15 May 2012 13:52:25 BDT
Lovebooks says:
Andrew Norris books - Matt's Million Matt's Million is a great read, funny and thought provoking about a boy who suddenly becomes a millionaire. His best friend is a girl who puts him straight about a few things too. Aquilla is another of his excellent books. If she likes one she will most likely enjoy all his other books.

Posted on 20 May 2012 08:05:05 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 22 May 2012 18:29:30 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 20 May 2012 17:51:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 May 2012 18:05:23 BDT
Henrietta says:
May I suggest Monica Edwards' ""Romney Marsh" and "Punchbowl Farm" series? Although she was writing from the 1940s to the 1960s they are not in the least dated. The "Romney Marsh" series are the more adventurous, including ponies, smugglers, and modern themes such as conservation issues, over-fishing, commercial development of sensitive sites and are based in a vilage called Westling which is based on a not very disguised Rye Harbour in SUssex where Mrs Edwards lived as a girl. The first two books would be the best to start with - "Wish for a Pony" and "The Summer of the Great Secret" in that order. The books take the main characters and their friends through from the age of ten to mid teens and they are well written, do not patronise the reader and are a jolly good read.

The "Punchbowl" series are told from the point of view of Lyndsey, one of 4 children of a family who buy a rundown farm in Surrey with no electricity or mains water by "accident". In addition to her sadness about the modernisation of the farm there are threads about the wild and domesticated animals living on and around the farm and a two of the books have a gently supernatural time-shifting thread running through them which is not in the least bit frightening to younger children. Again, the setting of the stories is the farm where Mrs Edwards and her family lived and which she acquired in a very similar way to the family in the story.

I can't recommend the books highly enough.

The books have been re-published by Girls Gone By Publishers and original copies are widely advertised although thethe latter can attract silly prices.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2012 11:51:11 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 22 May 2012 18:28:26 BDT]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the childrens books discussion forum

This discussion

Participants:  195
Total posts:  235
Initial post:  25 Oct 2009
Latest post:  29 Mar 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 20 customers

Search Customer Discussions