Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > childrens books discussion forum

Books for a nine year girl old with an older reading age....without snogging and too much boy stuff

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 214 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 14 Oct 2012 17:40:27 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 Oct 2012 15:10:43 BDT
LEP says:
Lord of the Rings is incredibly hard going even for adults; The Hobbit yes!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Oct 2012 17:42:09 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 Oct 2012 18:08:23 BDT
LEP says:
My Family and Other Animals - Gerald Durrell

The James Herriot Vet series, there's nothing a nine year old shouldn't read in them. If Only they could Talk, is the first book.

The White Giraffe - Lauren St. John

The Diamond of Dury Lane (Cat Royal series) - Julia Golding

His Dark Materials series - Philip Pulman

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Oct 2012 20:34:59 BDT
Strongly recommend 'The Winterfew Child' a new book on Kindle, by a first time author, Shaun Kenaelly.

Posted on 14 Oct 2012 22:54:40 BDT
St.Michael says:
I loved Shannon Hale's 'The Goose Girl' and series..
all of Terry Pratchett's books for young readers, especially the 'Tiffany Aching' series...a great introduction to the Discworld series, also 'Johnny and the Dead', etc...
Michelle Paver's 'Wolf Brother' series is FANTASTIC

If you want a modern, non-fiction alternative to fantasy, try Bethany Hamilton's 'Soul Surfer'
or Travers, Maisie and Angus McNeice's 'The Lion Children'

Malorie Blackman writes quite tough, edgy, true to life stories...try 'Noughts and Crosses'

Posted on 15 Oct 2012 13:26:18 BDT
R. M. EDSER says:
oh yes my 9 year old has just enjoyed Malore Blackman's Thief and I'd also recommend her Pig Heart Boy and Hacker.

I'd leave her Noughts and Crosses till a bit older though, quite teenage themes (it's a cleverly modernised Romeo and Juliet with lots of issues)

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Oct 2012 14:09:59 BDT
N Way says:
Have you tried Ruby Redfort by Lauren Child. Ruby is a fantastic new character - she is a code cracker; secret agent and a schoolgirl. She lives in hollywood, is very clever and very cool! girls love it, so its worth giving it a go.
good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Oct 2012 16:05:37 BDT
M says:
Have you tried 'Quest for the Rainbow Crystals' by Sally Sweete very funny and entertaining

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Oct 2012 16:06:32 BDT
M. Gibson says:
Seriously Sassy series from Puffin.

Posted on 25 Oct 2012 23:58:47 BDT
My daughter thrived on the Animal Ark series. She loved having them read to her first so that she could picture the characters when she read them herself later. She has just published her own horse adventure story from the horses point of view, its had some good reviews and may be of interest. One Last Run

Posted on 28 Oct 2012 10:53:09 GMT
Mrs Wheels says:
Carbonel by Barbara Sleigh. Talking cat...mild peril...snog free. I loved it as a child and passed it to my daughters.

I was really pleased to read your post! I am a long way into writing a book for children with a high reading ability at a younger age - who like gentle fantasy and kittens/puppies and suchlike and who aren't yet ready to grow up and be 'too cool for school'. I started it for my own daughter - who could read a Magic Kitten book in an hour or so but wouldn't move on to anything more challenging word-wise and with a higher word count.

A lot of the advice books I've read about 'how to write and get published' say that such books won't get published as they won't sell because there isn't a market for them - but how can they know when they won't publish them, so no-one gets the chance to buy them and show how popular they could be?

Posted on 29 Oct 2012 12:06:44 GMT
Ersatz Expat says:
I fully agree with many of the above lists. At 9 my favorites were....

the Dark is Rising Sequence
Little House On The Prairie
Any Rosemary Sutcliffe Books (truly excellent historic fiction aimed at children of around 8 and up)
The Woolpack
James Heriott
The Rats of Nimh (for younger children but enjoyable at any age if not read earlier)
The Chronicles of Narnia (for younger children but enjoyable at any age if not read earlier)
The Railway Children
5 Children and It
The Secret Garden
Carrie's War
Carbonel Books (for younger children but enjoyable at any age if not read earlier)
The Hobbit (Lord of the Rings from about 11 up)
Hillaire Belloc poems (very funny and great for reading aloud)
Sherlock Holmes (the original stories - excellent for a family reading session on a weekend by the fire but a precocious child will manage these alone from about 9 up)
My Friend Flicka
The Silver Brumby
The Young Carthiginian (and Henty in general)
Flambards
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Stories from Shakespeare (abridged for children but with a lot of the original language - very accessible without being dumbed down)

Posted on 29 Oct 2012 12:11:24 GMT
Ersatz Expat says:
I should have added the link for the Shakespeare book as there are so many. I loved this one Shakespeare Stories and have bought the second volume to supplement it for my own children.

Posted on 29 Oct 2012 14:35:24 GMT
Ryan Denyer says:
Try the History Keepers by Damien Dibben!

Posted on 29 Oct 2012 16:29:30 GMT
I'd definitely recommend the wee free men series by Terry Pratchett. The Wee Free Men: (Discworld Novel 30) (Discworld Novels) A Hat Full of Sky Wintersmith: (Discworld Novel 35) (Discworld Novels)

Also the Noughts and Crosses trilogy and sequel by Malorie Blackman. Noughts & Crosses (Part1 of Noughts & Crosses Trilogy)

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Oct 2012 00:26:59 GMT
My girl is in to books about Family life without being too much boy stuff -

The Saturdays series - Elizabeth Enright
The Penderwicks - Jeanne Birdsall
Stories of the Wild West Gang - Joy Cowley
Family from one End Street - Eve Garnett

They all are nicely written with complex language that will stretch her.

Posted on 31 Oct 2012 11:06:32 GMT
My daughter is the same age and has read and re-read most of the books mentioned in these posts: Potters, Malory Towers, anything by Jacqueline Wilson, The Penderwicks, Eve Garnett. L.M.Montgomery, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Eva Ibbotson...

Her other favourite reads include:

Anne Fine's Crummy Mummy, The Granny Project, Flour Babies, Charm School...
Jenny Nimmo's Charlie Bone books
Georgia Byng's Molly Moons
anything by Astrid Lindgren (especially Pippi and Brothers Lionheart)
anything by Roald Dahl - she keeps re-reading The Witches, The BFG ...
Louise Fitzburgh's Harriet the Spy
Eleanor H. Porter's Pollyanna
Gillian Cross's all Demon Headmasters and The Great Elephant Race
Penelope Farmer's Charlotte Sometimes
Erich Kastner's Emil and the Detectives
Susan Patron's The Higher Power of Lucky and
Jennifer L. Holm's Our Only May Amelia
We'd like to recommend other Newbery Honor/medal writers, such as Jack Gantos, Scott O'Dell, E.L. Konigsburg, Elizabeth George Speare...

Posted on 31 Oct 2012 12:48:26 GMT
colliswoman says:
I have just written a childrens book called "The Waiting Room", it's an adventure story involving a 'ghost boy' and friendship. It also covers deafness and sign language as an integral part of the story and although the main characters are teenagers there is only a few chaste kisses involved.
Another is soon to follow, please enjoy.
Jan Collis

Posted on 1 Nov 2012 09:55:01 GMT
Bookworm says:
I would recommend "Frozen in Time" by ali Sparkes, the Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness, which starts with "The Knife of Never Letting Go" and Gemma Malley's "The Declaration" series. These are all interesting, futuristic books with strong female characters and all are suitable for a 9 year old strong reader. (you'll probably enjoy them too - I did!)

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Nov 2012 10:18:17 GMT
Mr. D. Hill says:
If she likes animals, I have just finished writing Hugo and Oscar Go Travelling book 3. It is a first geography/history book for 7 to 10 year old with lots of facts about the countries the dogs travel in, as well as fictional adventures of the two dogs, Hugo and Oscar.
I was a teacher and feel this would be ideal for your daughter.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Nov 2012 11:04:03 GMT
Robert Dee says:
Your daughter sounds like the target age for my children's novel (no snogging and apart from a couple of annoying brothers, no boys!). Perhaps she'd be interested:

Daisy Cooper and the Sisters of the Black Night (Daisy Cooper: International Schoolgirl)

Posted on 1 Nov 2012 14:14:07 GMT
In an earlier post, I forgot to mention the fantasy classic,
Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain books (5 altogether), starting with The Book of Three, continuing with The Black Cauldron, etc.
My daughter and I both loved them. My daughter also read Diane Wynne Jones before Harry Potters (so did I):
the Chrestomanci chronicles, which begin with Charmed Life, took my breath away: Wynne Jones was a fabulous writer. My daughter has also recommended Howl's Moving Castle by Wynne Jones and continues to give me hard time because I have not had time to read it yet.

More realistic reads would include Beverly Cleary's Ramonas, Nina Bawden's The Peppermint Pig and Humbug. My daughter has read them many times.

I loved Antonia Forest's Autumn Term but my daughter found it a bit too difficult. Your daughter might be fine with it: it is a classic boarding school novel with wonderfully round and exciting characters. And no snogging.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Nov 2012 14:31:37 GMT
Helen Lawton says:
I just bought The Prince, The fairy and The Fouly. available at www.wilddogbooks.co.uk - Brilliant! - a really well written and exciting story

Posted on 1 Nov 2012 14:42:13 GMT
The Adventures of Caitlin Haq

Posted on 1 Nov 2012 22:37:39 GMT
Can I add to Rosemary Sutcliffe, Susan Cooper, Laura Ingalls Wilder (totally agree with all of these) - anything by Penelope Lively, "Abraham Hannibal" by Frances Somers Cocks (there are two books, my son had both from Amazon), The Boy with the Bronze Axe (Kathleen Fidler, who wrote many more books as well). Also Ajax the Warrior (Mary Elwyn Patchett) although I seem to recollect it has a sad ending (it's a very long time since I was a 9-year old!).

Posted on 3 Nov 2012 16:57:16 GMT
Emily Slater says:
Try "The Witcher Keys" by Ian Johnson. An exciting and chilling tale inspired by real life events, perfect for young teenagers to adults. The Witcher Keys
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the childrens books discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  172
Total posts:  214
Initial post:  29 Sep 2012
Latest post:  23 May 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions