Customer Discussions > childrens books discussion forum

Desperate need of new teen series!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-45 of 45 posts in this discussion
Posted on 17 Jan 2011 13:46:09 GMT
P. Cobb says:
If you enjoyed HP, I can heartily recommend a trilogy by Charlie Fletcher called Stoneheart, Ironhand and Silvertongue which feature 2 14 year olds, male and female, set in an alternative London. There is some action to keep the stories fast flowing, but similar to that of HP.

I would have thought these would be RIGHT up your street. My 13 yr old is on the 3rd book at present and loves it. You will never look at London in the same way again! Magical, without it ever being referred to as 'magic'. What happens just 'happens' in this alternate London layer.

Also, if you have never seen them, try the 'Tunnels' series (think it is now 4 books) and Inheart/Inkspell/Inkdeath.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Aug 2011 11:29:14 BDT
Jason Ellis says:
Amelia Maylock, book one; The 12th year awakening. (Amelia Maylock)

Hi,
I've included a link to the first book in my 'Amelia Maylock' series of which there are 4 at the moment, with a minimum of 9 in the full series. They are in paperback and Kindle, with hardcovers being added.
They have been compared to Harry in reviews so may be something you will like.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Aug 2011 13:17:36 BDT
How about 'Dunerheid McCan't', Kindle edition, by Clare Parker? It has a touch of magic, but is firmly rooted in real life. There is also the beginnings of a romance. There will be at least two more novels in this series. Well worth a try!

Posted on 2 Aug 2011 13:51:52 BDT
N. Vickers says:
I know this started ages ago but I had to recommend the books called "Uglies", "Pretties" and "Specials". My daughter found the skater theme a bit off-putting but it's really not that important. Here's something about the book I got from the author's website (Scott Westerfield) - from which I also found that they're filming the first book... Set in an Orwellian future in which teens undergo surgery on their sixteenth birthdays to become supermodel "pretty," UGLIES is the story of Tally Youngblood, one such "ugly" teen who is forced by authorities to forgo her transformation until she infiltrates The Smoke, a community of rebels who choose to retain their appearance and live outside of normal society. Tally soon discovers appearance isn't everything and her world is not all that it seems.
I hope this appeals, let me know if you like it...

Posted on 3 Dec 2011 12:03:28 GMT
If you want comedy, check out reviews on Amazon for Diary of a Parent Trainer by Jenny Smith published by Scholastic - comic novel for 10-15 year olds which touches on serious issues but with heartwarming ending. Good fun ;-)

Posted on 3 Dec 2011 19:32:50 GMT
Mr. Ns Whyke says:
Hi
If you have a Kindle look at my 'Black Crystal' and 'Doome' series or go to my website;
www.sites.google.com/site/neilwhyke/home. Both are suitable for teenagers, have strong female characters and plenty of humour.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2011 15:28:00 GMT
11 o'clock Chocolate Cake!!

Posted on 4 Dec 2011 16:20:17 GMT
Jess says:
Hunger Games! Read them about three years ago when I was 13 and absolutely love them

Posted on 5 Dec 2011 21:00:49 GMT
Hi there,
You could try http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/0956536816/ref=cm_cr_dp_synop?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#R398ALL9E2B4FI
Plenty of humour, not a vampire in sight and a sequel due out in the Spring.
Tinax

Posted on 5 Dec 2011 21:03:38 GMT
Sorry, this is the right link...
Ellie Foster's English Coursework
Tina

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2011 14:51:00 GMT
JebTech says:
The Un-familiar Cat
Try this book by Gavin Rees-Jones. It is brilliant for any age. It has magic, wizards, and humour but is written in a way I found addictive to read. Check out the authors website. www.gavinreesjonesnovels.co.uk He's working on a second series that puts a new spin on magic and fantasy adventure. If you liked HP, his new series for older children will blow your socks off. Read the un-familiar cat now but check the site for more info on the new series. You can even ask him questions via the online form.

Posted on 6 Dec 2011 17:17:34 GMT
Philip says:
I'm 16 years old and have recently gotten back into reading, these are some of the books I recommended:
The Sisterhood of travelling pants by Ann Brashares is really good. There are 5 books my favourite is the 5th one.
The Hush, hush series by Becca Fitzpatrick it's not vampire but it is about fallen angels which may put you off.
A similar series is Fallen by Lauren Kate which is also about fallen angels.
Sophia Bennet has brought out a series called threads which looks at fashion and the story behind it such as the slave trade. It's also a good read.
Another good series is Louise Rennison Angus, thongs and full-frontal snogging. It's really funny and a good laugh.
Hope this helps.
Hannah.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2011 21:39:05 GMT
School girl says:
Hi. why not try some by new unknown author Alexis Fox. My mum, brought me the first book in her series and I thought it was pretty good. since like me, you like series, you might enjoy this as it is a series.
Hope this helps.

Posted on 7 Dec 2011 07:56:47 GMT
Dragonfire is an exciting fantasy story set in Edinburgh. It involves dragons, magicians, magic carpets and monsters. It is set, however, in the present day
so when the dragon takes to the air to investigate an incoming BA flight, the police arrive in force. Neil and Clara, the children who become involved in
the dragon's adventures, live in the real world, using both mobiles and magic carpets. There are six books in the Dragonfire Series -- the latest, Dragon Seeker,
was published this year.

Posted on 7 Dec 2011 10:27:41 GMT
hunter says:
have you read Diana Wynne Jones, either the Chrestomanci (start with 'The Lives of Christopher Chant', written after but set before Charmed Life) or Crown of Dalemark (4 books) series? These are both set in alternate universes - similar to ours but with magic. They are not partic for 'teens', but then nor is HP...... Sounds like you are geting lots of interesting suggestions - happy reading!

Posted on 7 Dec 2011 18:23:56 GMT
N. J. H. says:
Divergent by Veronica Roth is a young adult romance you might like but I also agree with previous comments "The Hunger Games" is unmissable, a series of three books already published and a movie of 2012.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Dec 2011 21:35:38 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 25 Mar 2012 23:59:32 BDT]

Posted on 9 May 2012 16:56:00 BDT
BeckyF61 says:
You could try the Laurel series by Aprilynne Pike-they are about fairies but are actually quite a good series
Also could try the following series (in addition to the suggestions everyone else has made):
-The Black Magician Series by Trudi Canavan- magic books for adults but very suitable for teenagers- fisrt book is The Black Magician.
-The sequel series to the Black Magician series of the traitor spy trilogy-also by trudi canavan-about same characters but different stories but still gripping-first book in the series is The Ambassador's Mission.
-Inheritance series by Christopher Paolini-first book is Eragon
-The Shiver Series by Maggie Steifvater- Shiver, Linger and Forever- about werewolves
-The Northern Lights Trilogy by Philip Pullman-if you have not already read these they are good.
-This series by Amanda Hocking-about trolls- and a girl who finds out she is a changeling- Switched, Torn and Ascend.
Enjoy!
P.S. If you do change your mind about vampires you should try the house of night series by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast (first book marked)- as it made me believe vampire books can be good-even after how bad the twilight series was. You could also try reading the vampire diaries series and the vampire diaries the return series by L.J. Smith.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 May 2012 17:11:39 BDT
sophie says:
Hi
I think you'd like the new Mother Swap series by Debbie Richardson although it's only available on KINDLE at the moment or your PC

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2012 10:28:39 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 13 May 2012 13:24:14 BDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the childrens books discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  44
Total posts:  45
Initial post:  21 Dec 2010
Latest post:  12 May 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions