Customer Discussions > childrens books discussion forum

Books for 5 year old aspergers child

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 May 2012 18:19:26 BDT
I have a just turned 5 year old daughter with aspergers who reads fluently, she is a free reader at school but has difficulty choosing books so sticks to the ORT books of her own choice (routine and inability to change). Put anything in front of her and she can read it even though she may not understand it. She has no interest in reading long passages of text though so we need to find books that are bright and colourful with lots of pictures but which still contain plenty of text and it needs to be text which will keep her interest.

Does anyone know of anything that would be suited to a 5 year old in terms of actual topics (she loves anything animal, especially cat, related) and is bright and colourful, but is not too inane or reliant on humour since her sense of humour is not the same as a normal 5 year old as her mind is very logical with good vocabulary and plenty of it?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2012 20:06:40 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 May 2012 20:30:56 BDT
LEP says:
There's Gobbolino the Witches Cat. I'm not sure whether it is illustrated or not.

The Owl who was Afraid of the Dark - Tomlinson, and her other books

Percy the Parkkeeper series

Posted on 24 May 2012 10:11:30 BDT
How does she like factual texts? What about something like the guiness book of records? I know most 5 yr olds wouldn't be able to read it, but it might appeal to her (and teach her a few things in the process) especially if she can look through it with u?? I taught an 8 yr old with aspergers who loved his copy. hope it is of some use

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 14:07:26 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 24 May 2012 18:22:16 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 19:02:29 BDT
LEP says:
I wondered whether she'd like non-fiction books. Literal facts about animals that she might like e.g.:

Pebble First Guide to Nocturnal Animals - Joanne Mattern
The Usborne Little Book of Cats and Kittens - Sara Kahn etal

Posted on 9 Jun 2012 21:21:23 BDT
SueB says:
My children adored Winnie the Witch books. Beautiful, very colourful pictures, not much text but interesting vocabulary.

Posted on 10 Jun 2012 17:04:08 BDT
Try Andy Stanton books ( Mr Gum). My son loved them although he was 6 when I used to read them to my kids. He's got asperger's as well, he found the language and absurd characters hilarious. Lots of pictures as well.

Posted on 10 Jun 2012 18:10:16 BDT
Frenchie says:
My 7 year old boy has Autism. He absolutely loves all the Usborne Beginners books, especially the Night Animals (Usborne Beginners), How Flowers Grow (Usborne Beginners), Stories of Dogs (Usborne Young Reading: Series One),... With his 9 year old sis, he has read all the Rainbow Magic Colour Fairies Collection 7 Books Pack Set (Series 1 to 7) RRP £27.93 ( Ruby the Red Fairy, Amber the Orange Fairy, Saffron the Yellow Fairy, Fern the Green Fairy, Sky the Blue Fairy, Izzy the Indigo Fairy, Heather the Violet Fairy ) (Rain... too, but there are long passages of text. At one stage, he had a Scooby Doo phase, so, all the books he reads were from Super Spooky Double Storybook (Scooby-Doo! (Scholastic)). And all the Oxford Reading Tree - Read at Home Full Pack - 31 Book Collection series Set RRP 123.69 (Level 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 Includes The Snowman, Funny Fish, The Monster Hunt, Featuring Kipper, Chip, Biff, Floopy and others) (Read at Home) - I did not buy all the books from Amazon, got some from the Library, Oxfam, Book People etc...

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jun 2012 19:46:37 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 10 Jun 2012 20:21:43 BDT]

Posted on 19 Jun 2012 21:00:25 BDT
Frenchie says:
I found these delightful books, maybe your daughter will like them (you can also buy them individually) Puddle the Naughtiest Puppy Collection 4 Books (Magic Carpet Ride,Toyshop Trouble, Ballet Show Mischief, Rainforest Hide and Seek)

Posted on 20 Jun 2012 20:59:57 BDT
J. Wilson says:
She might like the Dorling Kindersley Readers series - some have quite old topics but not so much text. Here is a link to the Level 4 readers but obviously you could find a level which suited her - I dont see one there about cats unfortunately ! good luck in the hunt - this seems to be a constant problem tho for all - the mismatch between content and reading ages, http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dorling+kindersley+young+readers#/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dk+readers+level+4&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Adk+readers+level+4

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jun 2012 00:15:28 BDT
New childrens book Henry the Horse by author Eric Pullin makes for a lovley little story with full colour illustrations. It is written in simple verse style, but there is some good vocabulary in it. There is not many Horsey stories out there, so may be something different for your daughter to read.

Henry the Horse

Posted on 28 Aug 2012 11:27:18 BDT
Susan Keefe says:
My new series on kindle Fantasy Farm Tales has plenty of pictures of our animals amongst the text, the first is an adventure about goat kids called Billy and Daisy's Big Adventure Billy and Daisy's Big Adventure (Fantasy Farm Tales) My paperback book Toby's Tails about our Border Collie and his life on our smallholding has been very helpful to a child with ASDs including ADHD as you can see from the comment on my website http://www.tobys-tails.com/my-book-tobys-tails/

Posted on 3 Sep 2012 11:22:20 BDT
The Kipper the dog picture books by Mick Inkpen are really lovely - lots of big colourful pictures.

Posted on 3 Sep 2012 16:26:55 BDT
Miss Jones says:
Hi,

You could have a look at books published by Barrington Stoke. It's a small publisher, but their books are designed to be easily digestible and cause as little visual stress as possible. All of their books are in dyslexia friendly font, so they may be more likely to understand the other problems that children face whilst reading and those that are relevent to you and your daughter. Their books are also broken up into shorter sentences that might work well for your child and lots of illustrations in their younger age titles.

Here is the link: http://www.barringtonstoke.co.uk/About-us.html

You might also want to look at long series that she can really get her teeth into, as she is a strong reader I would recommend the Dinosaur Cove series, which are adventure/time-travel based which may appeal to her imagination. It will also provide challenging words such as the Dinosaur names.

I hope this has been of some help.

Posted on 4 Sep 2012 09:26:45 BDT
Another thought - Ladybird books are designed for learning and vocabulary like the ORT books, and have good age range indicators, so you'd be sure to find something suitable. They do all the fairy tales and more, I remember using them when I was little to learn to read independently. Lots of colourful pictures too: http://www.ladybird.co.uk/adviceandresources/index.html
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the childrens books discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
81 18 Sep 2013
Looking for a lost children's book from the 90s 0 18 hours ago
searching for children's book from the 1970s-1980s 95 4 days ago
desperately seeking a children's audio book 36 24 days ago
CHEVALIER: THE QUEEN'S MOUSEKETEER series (Fairy tale, fantasy, rhyming, bedtime story/picture book, for kids 4-10) 1 26 Oct 2014
Box sets for advanced 8 year old reader? 19 25 Oct 2014
Funny books for a 5 year old girl 24 19 Oct 2014
Old-fashioned children's books 134 19 Oct 2014
FANTASTIC NEW BOOK: Children's Books: MARTY MOUSE FINDS A HOUSE (Very Funny, Rhyming Bedtime Story/Picture Book for Beginner Readers, starring Marty Mouse the Lonely Mouse, Ages 2-8): Illustrated Story Book 0 9 Oct 2014
Old children's book (1990s) part remembered, can you help 4 1 Oct 2014
Help finding a childhood book 1 1 Oct 2014
Search for classic children's book 63 1 Oct 2014

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  23 May 2012
Latest post:  4 Sep 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions