Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > childrens books discussion forum

Historical fiction for a 10 year old reading age

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Dec 2012 21:34:05 GMT
SQ320 says:
My daughter has read the Willard Price series (which have an adventure / nature theme).

I'd like her to read fiction with an historical or science context. Any suggestions welcome.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Dec 2012 21:57:23 GMT
gille liath says:
Rosemary Sutcliffe's stuff is good for that age group, eg Mark of the Horse Lord, Warrrior Scarlet, Shield Ring.

Also Henry Treece's Viking trilogy, beginning with Viking's Dawn

Posted on 18 Dec 2012 22:32:23 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Dec 2012 22:42:11 GMT
Leon Garfield is good e.g. Smith and The Strange Affair of Adelaide Harris (18th century). Nina Bawden (Carrie's War (Puffin Books) and Robert Westall (The Machine Gunners) have WW2 stories. The 'My Story' books are a good introduction to a large variety of historical events and my children have all enjoyed them (fictional diaries) e.g. Pompeii - a Roman Girl's Diary AD 78 (My Story) and Viking Blood; A Viking Warrior AD 1008 (My Story).

Posted on 21 Dec 2012 19:45:29 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Dec 2012 16:28:16 GMT
broxi3781 says:
Mrs Mike is ancient but I loved so much as a child. the story is about the wife of a Canadian Mounty. In fact i am thinking to order myself a new copy soon I also enjoyed The Summer of My German Soldier, The Hiding Place, and Island of the Blue Dolphns. . Aquilla magazine is also an excellent resource for science and history. Personally though - I'd let her read whatever she likes most. My sons tastes in books swing wildly about - but as long as they truly enjoing books I am happy.

Posted on 23 Dec 2012 18:05:27 GMT
SQ320 says:
Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I remember reading the Machine Gunners myself!

She's enjoyed Journey to Jo'burg, so anything with serious underlying themes would also be very useful.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Dec 2012 23:36:15 GMT
RJS says:
i would recommend The Secret Lake in which the children travel back in time to the Edwardian period. It's has a classic feel but with a modern twist.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Dec 2012 09:28:56 GMT
Barbara Willard's 'Mantlemass' series is set in the countryside and has some lovely descriptions of nature. The series tells the history of a family from the late Middle-Ages until the Civil War.
Janice Robertson's historical novel 'Eppie' is again set in the countryside and nature is a central theme. There is plenty of action and adventure in it and it kept me guessing where the story was going next.
K. M. Peyton's 'Flambards' is another wonderful history series which deals with the impact of science/ technology e.g. the appearance of aeroplanes, on rural life in the early 20th C.

Posted on 28 Dec 2012 20:15:40 GMT
roundtable says:
She may like The Winged Watchman by Hilda van Stockum. It is a story about a family living in a windmill in Holland during the second world war. It is exciting and authentic and raises a lot of interesting questions for a child of this age about why people behave the way they do, in wartime and any time. Moving but not harrowing.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the childrens books discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  18 Dec 2012
Latest post:  28 Dec 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions