Customer Discussions > childrens books discussion forum

kid's book from 70s or early 80s about a wizard

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Nov 2011 20:08:42 GMT
illumina says:
Can anyone remember any children's books from this time period about a boy learning magic from a wizard in his village? (Obviously WAY before Harry Potter). I can remember there's a slightly older girl also learning, with odd coloured eyes, who can turn into a cat.

Posted on 8 Nov 2011 22:55:45 GMT
P. Cobb says:
Doubt very much if this is what you're after, but it's from the period, about a wizard and although started as a TV series, 2 books were written.

"Catweazle
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Created by Richard Carpenter
Starring Geoffrey Bayldon
Country of origin United Kingdom
No. of episodes 26
Original channel ITV
Original run 1970 - 1971

Catweazle was a British television series, created and written by Richard Carpenter which was produced and directed by Quentin Lawrence for London Weekend Television under the LWI (London Weekend International) banner, and screened in the UK on ITV in 1970 and 1971. There were two series, both with 13 episodes at 25 minutes each.

The series was broadcast in Ireland, Britain, New Zealand, The Netherlands, Germany, Australia, Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Czechoslovakia, and Nicaragua.

The series featured Geoffrey Bayldon as the title character, an eccentric, dishevelled and smelly (but lovable) old 11th century wizard who accidentally travels through time to the year 1969 and befriends a young red-headed boy, nicknamed Carrot (Robin Davies), who spends most of the rest of the series attempting to hide Catweazle from his father and farmhand Sam. Meanwhile Catweazle searches for a way to return to his own time whilst hiding out in 'Castle Saburac', a disused water tower, with his familiar, a toad called Touchwood.

The second series featured a 12-part riddle which Catweazle, once more transported to 1970s England, attempts to solve one clue per episode, with the solution (as he thinks) being revealed in the 13th.

Catweazle mistakes all modern technology for powerful magic (see also Clarke's third law), particularly 'elec-trickery' (electricity) and the 'telling bone' (telephone).

The entire series was shot on 16mm. The first series was mostly shot on location at Home Farm, East Clandon, near Guildford in Surrey, England in 1969. The second series around the Bayford/Brickendon area in Hertfordshire in 1970.

There are two novelisations by Carpenter, one for each series: Catweazle and Catweazle and the Magic Zodiac."

Posted on 9 Nov 2011 17:18:57 GMT
E. Barnes says:
It's not Catweazle - although Catweazle is a cracking book, well worth reading.

I would have a look at books by Diana Wynne Jones, I can't think of a title that fits, but she has written a lot of books so it might well be one of hers.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Nov 2011 00:51:24 GMT
Could be The Weirdstone of Brisingamen by Alan Garner...

Posted on 10 Nov 2011 13:54:03 GMT
M. Grice says:
Mr Majeika prehaps?

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 08:45:39 BDT
illumina says:
Thanks for the suggestions, but none of these match what I remember. It's definitely not Diana Wynne Jones or Alan Garner, I read lots of those when I was a kid. It's also not set in a school - the boy learned spells in the wizards back garden!

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 08:54:50 BDT
Wizard of Earthsea?

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2012 09:07:50 BDT
illumina says:
Nope. Sorry, I should also have said that the book was set in modern Britain!

Posted on 21 Apr 2012 22:52:38 BDT
Have a look at Eva Ibbotson's stuff - there are echoes of her in Harry Potter too!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Apr 2012 09:56:57 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jun 2012 13:57:18 BDT
A. Peterson says:
I think it might be The Ghost of Thomas Kempe by Penelope Lively.
The Ghost of Thomas Kempe amusing and highly recommended!

Posted on 1 Jun 2012 00:18:52 BDT
Could it be Snow Spider by Jenny Nimmo? Set in the welsh mountains, about a boy who learns to become a wizard.

Posted on 1 Jun 2012 00:20:35 BDT
Could it be Snow Spider by Jenny Nimmo? Set in the welsh mountains, about a boy who learns to become a wizard.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jun 2012 08:03:49 BDT
illumina says:
Sorry, it's not - it was published 2006, I'm looking for something published before about 1987. It looks interesting though!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jun 2012 15:50:36 BDT
S. Ashe says:
If you mean the Snow Spider was publishedi in 2006 I'm affraid you're wrong it was first published in 1986

Posted on 12 Jun 2012 13:07:42 BDT
illumina says:
Whoops, my bad! Sadly still not the one I'm looking for though.

Posted on 20 Sep 2012 21:09:06 BDT
Could it be the series of books by Sheila K Mccullagh? Tim and Tobias, Tim and the Witches etc?? Much sought after now very expensive.

Posted on 23 Sep 2012 15:35:43 BDT
Harris LBB says:
Odo and the Time Children is an imaginative story about Odo, a talking time traveling cat, Meadowsweet and her brother Turnip. The children find themselves with a big problem on their hands, when Odo appears. A talking cat isn't something you can ignore, and when he offers to help the children find the lost golden coin, they can't say no. Little did the children know that this would involve traveling through time and running into some not very nice people.

Che Dee has woven a delightful tale that makes it hard to put the book down. Her imagination draws you in and keeps you until the last page. Set in Saxon times, modern times and several times in between, you get a sense of what it would be like to travel into the future where everything was strange and wonderful at the same time.

This book is great for children around nine and up. Odo and the Time Children will spark their imaginations and they will learn a little about Saxon England at the same time.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Odo-Time-Children-Che-Dee/dp/1617662232/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1345750321&sr=8-9
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the childrens books discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  8 Nov 2011
Latest post:  23 Sep 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions