Customer Discussions > childrens books discussion forum

Fantasy for older children/teens

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Posted on 1 Apr 2013 00:09:26 BDT
Broxi
Everything you say is perfectly true.
But as for books only selling if they are any good...how would you know unless someone has been curious when the book has been brought to their attention.
bit like the chicken and the egg really...which comes first?
I actually am an author of childrens books (eleven so far), mainly older children and young adults, and I am happy to say that I have sold a few, and recieved some good reviews.
but I wouldn't dream of pushing them here...I pop off to the meet the authors forum to do that.
But someone else could legitimally push them for me...how weird is that?

Posted on 31 Mar 2013 20:11:25 BDT
I know of her - but wouldn't buy her book on a bet. As to authors - why would I condemn authors? I love books. Real books - and many real books do fail - but there are far too many people who think just because they have self published something on kindle that others will want to read it. Not every Kindle book is going to make it - and I expect the vast majority will fail. I do make up stories myself every night - I don't expect anyone but my own sons would want to read them - nor would it make me an author if I did self publish and torture people hoping someone would buy them.

I have actually been published - The Observer for starts - a magazine review - but I don't consider myself an author, just a lover of quality childrens books and publications.

There is a meet the authors thread just for authors to promote their own books on - why not advertise books there? Why keep pushing them on the forum for parents and children? If these books were any good - they would sell. The fact that the same authors spend months on here harrassing people implies that the books really were not very good to start with.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2013 15:14:23 BDT
Broxi

Actually this thread has only had sixteen posts, and Nina levison was not one of them....Perhaps you have your threads mixed up.
I posted Nina's books, because they are very good for younger children (and I had my threads mixed up, as this one is for older children.).
And, incidently, all authors, except for a very few, are desperate for exposure so that people will read their books out of curiosity, if nothing else.
Most of the threads on the Amazon discussion forums are for books. and without authors, you don't have books...so good or bad, don't knock them. They work very hard at writing the book, only to find that without marketting or exposure of some kind, their book disappears in amongst the millions of others out there.
I don't necesarily condone Nina's tactics to get herself noticed, but you know of her..so something must be working.
I also appreciate that nothing you have said is insulting, my point was a general one, aimed at those who do.

Posted on 31 Mar 2013 10:42:45 BDT
I have never insulted anyone here. But this thread just keeps getting bumped up to advertise, when it should be let die. Nina Levinson was the absolute worst of all the authors here for spamming - and it looks like Amazon has finally gotten around to removing most of her spam - and here we seem the books advertised again. I can't imagine that they could possibly be any good - or such desperate tactics would not be needed.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Mar 2013 21:40:59 GMT
Broxi
Sorry but I'm not quite sure I understand..
I have certainly made a mistake with the three books I suggested.
Unfortunately with all the threads around it is easy to do.
Parts of the books can be categorised as fantasy, but for younger children..so I am sorry for that.
And if I read the second part of your post correctly...I totally agree.
But my point is that no matter how incorrect their actions are or how arrogant you may think they are..Insulting them does not achieve anything. Be nice to them and mostly you will find that they come back with an apology.

Posted on 30 Mar 2013 20:15:02 GMT
Robert AV Jacobs - its quite obvious no one is requesting a type of book here - why advertise some? And why can't those trying to make a sale be nice too and follow the rules?

Posted on 30 Mar 2013 08:30:13 GMT
For even younger children, you could not do better than

Growing Up With Princess Lizzy and Her Friends

by Gma Mary Adkinson

Posted on 30 Mar 2013 08:17:56 GMT
Last edited by the author on 30 Mar 2013 08:18:27 GMT
For younger children, both of the 'Jess' books are worth a look.
Jess and the Ghost of Black Rock Castle (The 'Jess' series)
Jess and the Magic Wishing Well (The 'Jess' series)

both by Nina Levison

Posted on 30 Mar 2013 08:04:21 GMT
Last edited by the author on 30 Mar 2013 08:22:01 GMT
Thanks Fly High...at least someone remembers that this forum is for promoting or discussing childrens books.

I Sympathise with D.E.M Hall, and wish Him (her?) well with his (her?) book.

Now before I am jumped on, by people who have nothing better to do than jump on people, I know I could have clicked on D.E's profile to determine gender. (or not apparently...just did it)

The correct reaction to D.E.M Hall's transgressions, would have been to explain the error of his(her) ways in a friendly and non confrontational way, rather than uneccessary and public insults which tend to show more about the insulters personality than the insulted.

Be nice, it doesn't cost anything.

Now go and read...it will do you good.
Jess and the Ghost of Black Rock Castle (The 'Jess' series)

Posted on 6 Mar 2013 07:03:53 GMT
Fly High says:
Classics: Orion is one that is absolutely brilliant. The Elfstones Of Shannara: Number 2 in series is another. Ender's Game (Ender Saga) awesome. Newer would be Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone still the best of the series. Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief great. Others in no particular order: Frost Burned: Mercy Thompson Book 7 Ashalon (The Ashalon Chronicles #1) Hunted (Iron Druid Chronicles)

Posted on 5 Mar 2013 19:56:18 GMT
I appreciate your replies, especially as they're a lot more palatable than the one from donegalgirl. I'd have liked to have explained what I did, and why, originally but felt that I wouldn't have been believed and would have enticed even more slights than 'stupid, despicable, pathetic, irresponsible and desperate' (though the latter I owned up to, for various reasons).

God's honest truth, I was posting on other forums as she's picked up on, all for children's books - in total, six I think - which, in the main, were asking for recommendations. It was late on Saturday night and I was absent-mindedly adding these posts after just reading the headline and opening paragraph of each thread. For the reasons already described, I don't quite agree that putting the title of my book to be much different from putting that of another author's. As it was a free download, I also didn't really see myself as heavily self-promoting (I say not 'heavily', not that it was 'non-existent').

Once I'd seen the first post here, which was after I'd put my link, I saw that this was a no-no, so I didn't post any more on other forums. Otherwise, I'd have probably gone on all night, as part of the 'desperate' mindset. I completely agree I could (and should) have removed my posts but I reasoned to myself that it was only Amazon I was particularly upsetting, (I won't detail my feeling about their monopolising, as I'd only then be tarred hypocritical for having my book up here in the first place). Therefore, without putting any more thought into it than that, I let them stand.

I accept all the things donegalgirl said about my ethics, and I understand how easy it is to be angry when most authors only seem to post on these forums to self-promote. Having read more into other authors' experiences of KDP and the free promotional tools, I can see there were places I could have legitimately put my link, but we can all do things in hindsight. I get spam from all sorts of places and I guess it's something I could live without, and we all react to things differently. I can quite see how disagreeable it must be to those looking for contributions from fellow readers.

I'd set the free weekend (the first time I've done it) earlier last week and forgot until Friday teatime that it was about to start the following day. Having not had a sale in over six months (for lots of reasons, predominantly because I can't get round to doing any sort of marketing whatsoever to position my book amongst the masses - or perhaps my book is just dross) I did get carried away after seeing people wanting my freebie. Over 200 people downloaded the book, which was a double-edged sword; it was great to see my rankings move from half a million to the hundreds, even if you know that these same people wouldn't pay the pound it was previously up for.

When you've spent three months writing a book, around a full-time job and raising two kids, one with autism, I guess you feel giving your work away ain't that great. I'm not telling you my background for empathy, sympathy, to start an argument, to disagree/agree with anyone (I've already said I agree with donegalgirl's points - I completely hold my hands up) - the reason I'm going into such personal detail is to explain why bending a rule slightly, one that I already didn't wholly agree with, when looking at the bigger picture - and from my side of the fence - it doesn't appear to be so untenable.

However, looking at things from other people's points of view, I can see why it would be. So, for that, I apologise. I was in the wrong. I shouldn't have posted here, and I definitely should have removed it. I should have done practically everything differently than I did this weekend, to fully get the benefits of the KDP Select freebie promotion, but I guess sometimes you can only learn by seeing your mistakes. Because that's what it was. It wasn't a wholly 'me, me, me' thing; I could have plagued every forum thread going, when my book carried a price, and even after people complained. I was ignorant to the rules, and when I found out what these were, I made a poor decision to not back-track my actions. Of that I'm guilty. None of what I did came from a bad place, I hope you can see that. I'm not excusing what I did at all, under no circumstances - it was a selfish action.

But perhaps not despicable.

Thanks for letting me explain. *Tips hat*

Posted on 5 Mar 2013 13:20:14 GMT
The fact is, this is not a request by anyone for help finding a book. It was a self promotion thread with the original message deleted by Amazon.
The problem is these self promtions are continually brought to the top by selfish individuals to flog their own books, drowning out any legitmate discussion.

As to meet the authors. I've tried it several times - but failed to find any real discussion - just "buy my book - buy my book" which sadly is what we get here. The fact that few people go there simply shows that people really do not want to read blatant self promotion.
And I do realise 3 million books are printed a year, including a very large number of kindle books which would never ever see a printers press. the problem is if every hopeful author posts here - it is just like the Meet the authors page - but a few always feel theya re above the rules and so special that rules should not apply to them.

Posted on 4 Mar 2013 23:08:42 GMT
R. Rivett says:
I think it's a shame the baby gets thrown out with the bathwater here. I don't see why you shouldn't recommend a book that you happen to have written if it genuinely meets the criteria, provided it doesn't come with the hard-sell spiel which I think people find off-putting and which probably then works against the author anyway. If it's a book in a short list of other good-read recommendations, would anyone really object??

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2013 19:56:05 GMT
Marand says:
The problem you've got is that Amazon do not permit promotion other than in the 'Meet our Authors' forum. Here is the message (it is posted at the top of every forum - Amazon Important Announcement.

"Amazon recently created a new community for authors. The `Meet Our Authors' community is designed to give authors a space to engage with one another and promote their latest and greatest works.

With the advent of the new community, we will no longer allow self promotional posts in other communities. Starting on December 15, 2011, all "shameless self promotion" activity will be limited to the `Meet Our Authors' community. Promotional threads outside of these forums will be removed.

We invite authors and interested readers to come join the discussion at:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/meet%20our%20authors

We look forward to seeing you!"

Amazon do delete promotional posts and a few people have lost their ability to post to forums where they have abused or ignored the rules. The reason Amazon banned the promotional postings was that the forum threads has just become an enormous advertising board.

I daresay that the MOA is not ideal for authors as it is unclear how many non-authors go there and the relentless promotion pushes everyone down the list until they next promote. That said, the general forums were much the same pre-MOA. The sad thing is that a relatively small group of people who promoted their books repeatedly ended up affecting all SP authors, even those who seldom promoted and who participated in the forum discussions rather than just advertising.

Posted on 3 Mar 2013 16:50:18 GMT
demhalluk says:
Not that I expect the majority to understand but perhaps you've hit the nail on the head. It's hard not to be 'desperate' when your book is one of 3 million published each year. I'm not wanting to get into a flame war here as I don't think you'd ever see where I'm coming from, but I don't feel I should burn in hell for putting a book name in-front of someone who may be interested in reading it, just because it was one I penned. I'm not making any financial gain from the posts, as the book is a free listing, and the places I put the link, I felt, were all relevant to readership and all were asking for recommendations.
Where does the line get drawn from 'promotion' and 'self-promotion' to make it hateful if it's relevant to the discussion? It's the one and only free weekend I've participated in, and I felt it was the only time I was justified in placing the title under people's noses - who were looking for suggestions - because it's back to obscurity on Monday. Again, I stress, I doubt few would agree with me other than fellow authors; delete the post and apologies for intruding.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Mar 2013 02:17:39 GMT
donegalgirl says:
Can't you read? The post immediately preceding yours explains that Amazon don't allow promos but you are so stupid, or so despicable, or so desperate that you post your promo regardless. At least the other author had the decency to delete his post. This is the children's book forum and you have just shown children that its OK to ignore the rules in order to satisfy their own selfish needs - pathetic and irresponsible!

Posted on 2 Mar 2013 23:22:24 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 5 Mar 2013 20:08:17 GMT]

Posted on 27 Jan 2013 10:43:37 GMT
Paul Tapner says:
I'm afraid Amazon wont allow you to advertise your own book here. please read the thread at the top of the page entitled 'important announcement from amazon.' Thanks.

Initial post: 27 Jan 2013 08:05:48 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 27 Jan 2013 20:04:54 GMT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  27 Jan 2013
Latest post:  1 Apr 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions