Customer Discussions > camera discussion forum

Does your Amazon-bought Canon 650D DSLR camera have the "turning white" issue?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Aug 2012 10:57:53 BDT
Reviews Guy says:
Canon EOS 650D Digital SLR Camera - Black (Inc. 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens Kit)

Canon UK issued a message to owners of the 650D indicating that the rubber grips will turn white due to a bad batch of rubber they used for some cameras, this batch may also cause allergies. Canon offers on their website a place to input the serial number of the unit so you can see whether you are affected or not. If your unit is affected, Canon will replace the front of the cameras and the grips free of charge.

Now you're buying a very expensive product, would you like it to be defective right before you opened the box? I'm not sure about your feelings about warranty repairs but my experience is that whenever something is opened by a technician, it is not the same quality anymore. Expect issues to happen from that point.

So if you're that kind of person, you'll be quite annoyed to know that Amazon will only replace your unit ONCE, if the second unit they send you is affected, they WILL NOT replace the unit. I can confirm this because it happened with me. Amazon just refuses to replace it. They gave me a partial refund, which is okay, but a few months from now, I'll have to take the camera to the technician to be fixed, and my camera won't have that original sealing it had from the factory. You just can't replicate the same build quality from a factory in a shop, no matter what they tell you.

So your options are, not to buy from Amazon, go to the high-street and check the camera, take a smartphone and input the serial number into Canon's website and see if it's affected, or buy the camera and suffer the consequences of bad repairs later...

I personally believe that Amazon should stop selling this model until Canon only has good ones in their warehouses. Amazon made me wait three weeks for the replacement, only for me to find that it was plagued by the same issue.

Here's the address to the page on Canon's website that explains the issue in details:

canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_650D.aspx?type=important&faqtcmuri=tcm:14-948234

Here is the page where you can input your Serial Number to see whether your unit is affected or not.

web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/serial/eosdigital1/x6i-650d-t4i.html

PLEASE WRITE A RESPONSE ABOUT YOUR AMAZON.CO.UK-BOUGHT CAMERA ONLY! I'm trying to see whether Amazon is selling a lot or only a few of the affected units, so please write whether your unit is affected or not.

Posted on 16 Aug 2012 09:51:28 BDT
This is a strange problem you have. It has been my experience that when a product 'recall' occurs, like this one, with serial numbers published by the manufacturer, the dealer, from Amazon down to the small camera dealers, are asked (by Canon, in this case) to return any new unsold stock for replacements.

What happens then, is that Canon either repair them and then re-issue them as 'refurbished' or return them to the factory for a 'factory fix' and then re-issue them as new.

I think you'll find that Amazon have broken consumer law by knowingly selling you a published (via serial number) faulty item. They should replace with stock unaffected with the problem (outside the batch of serial numbers published) or accept the camera back for a full refund.

What surprises me is that you even have the problem, and that Amazon, if what you say, is correct, have not already emailed you and asked you to return the camera at their expense for that replacement / refund.

Keep us posted, and, if I were you, I would write to Amazon and ask them why they are issuing stock which is publicly declared as faulty, via the Canon information published online. Canon would have undoubtedly circulated all dealers, including Amazon, prior to going online with the issue and serial numbers affected.

Ross

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Aug 2012 09:49:17 BDT
As reported in Amateur Photographer on line:
"Some Canon EOS 650D users were wrongly informed that their DSLR was safe to use when the camera may be among those found to trigger a skin allergy.
Canon EOS 650D
As reported in Amateur Photographer last month, Canon warned photographers that a chemical used in the rubber grip on some Canon EOS 650D DSLRs may turn white and cause an allergic reaction to skin.
Canon UK advised affected users to consult a physician if medical symptoms develop.
The company is offering a free repair service after thousands of units were caught in the glitch worldwide.
However, Canon Europe has since been forced to revise its customer advice after its latest database revealed that `additional serial numbers' have been hit.
`Customers who previously checked the serial number of their camera on our website and received an "unaffected" message are asked to please recheck the serial number,' states the Canon Europe website.
The units affected were produced between 31 May and 27 June 2012, according to Canon.
Customers are being asked to re-enter their 12-digit serial number to find out if theirs is among the affected units.
The news comes as a US consumer safety body reports that someone developed a 'minor rash' from simply touching a surface where the DSLR had been.
On Monday, the US Consumer Product Safety Commission issued a statement, telling consumers to stop using affected units 'immediately'.
The government agency says '68,200' units have been hit.
But, it is not clear whether this figure includes models sold in Europe.
A spokesperson for Canon Europe had yet to respond to a request for comment at the time of writing.
It is unclear whether anyone in the UK has suffered an adverse reaction to the 650D's rubber grip.

I don't know whether this means Canon will be more amenable?

Posted on 1 Sep 2012 15:04:02 BDT
Reviews Guy says:
So far my camera has not developed the white rubber issue even though it is affected. When it develops this issue, I will take it to the shop to get it fixed, BUT if my fixed camera has a single scratch, I will demand Amazon to fully refund me or I'll take it up with trading standards.

Thanks for everyone's responses, let's see if anyone else has affected units.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the camera discussion forum (32 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  camera discussion forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  3 Aug 2012
Latest post:  1 Sep 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions