Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > biography discussion forum

Fao David mitchell

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Feb 2011 22:38:36 GMT
A Boy From Nowhere
To insert a link, like that above is made quite easy for you by amazon. At the top left of the box where you're typing your message is a button that says "insert a product link", if you click on this then a pop up will appear where you can select a department and then type in the title of your book, when you select go then amazon will bring up what it thinks are the most relevant items for your search criteria. When I did this it just brought up your 2 books, you just choose the right product. Until your post is published it doesn't look like a link but gets transformed when your message is published.
There's a novelist called JA Konrath, who has a blog, if you google you should find it. If you work through his blog he's shared what's worked for him when he's been trying to publicise his kindle books. He's actually published the various selling prices he's tried, how many sales he got and what this meant commission wise.
I think you've been unfortunate in sharing your name with the author of The Cloud Atlas as from looking at your reviews anyone who has read your book has enjoyed it but this has been overshadowed by those people who expected something completely different from purchasing your book based solely on your name.
The only other option I can think which might help is to offer a few copies of your book for free in return for reviews. This seems to be quite a popular thing on goodreads.com or through your own website (although I wouldn't have a clue how to go about setting this up).
Hope I've helped a little, sometimes it's just nice to have a fresh pair of eyes - but feel free to tell me to butt out!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Feb 2011 14:58:55 GMT
Hallo Louise - Very many thanks for your explanation as to how to insert a product link - it is nice of you to help people in this way. Anyway, I posted my books(s) as product links and the first time I did it (without sending a message) my two books came up at once. But on sending this message I did it again and this time a whole host of books came up including some with only similar names. It is a jumbled mess and a bit offputting for someone looking for a special book.
Must I do this every time I send a message then - or is once enough ?
Regarding review copies - I can't recall the number sent out by my publishers but it was quite a few. For a time I felt quite famous as I was contacted by various papers and mags. I was even invited to appear on BBC Radio - which I did. But did all this help ? Not much. But I admit this is unquantifiable.
Re the other DAVID MITCHELL - yes, this reared it's ugly head when my first book was published. But only two chaps complained. I actually wrote to my namesake through his publishers apologising to him for any confusion between him and me - especially after I was asked to be AUTHOR OF THE MONTH by Librarything.com for a month. I received some messages which were obviously meant for him - and they even poublished his photograph instead of mine ! But he is a nice fellow and told me not to worry about any confusion - he didn't know I existed ! I have no wish to climb on anyone's back - but I do claim the usage of the name because I have been using it much longer - since 1928 in fact ! Went up to London last weekend (from Exeter region) for the Christening of my great-granddaughter and there I renewed acquaintance with a lady author who had a total horror story to tell me - her publisher went bust owing her a lot of money. She is not well versed in contracts and her rights in such matters and I have volunteered to help her as much as I can. We must all try to help each other. But I had a long conversation with her about PUBLIC LENDING RIGHTS as she is of the view that as many as 36,000 copies of her book have been sold - and she has hardly received a penny ! I do not know if many members of this 'group' know about this but if one's books are in the public libraries domain (mine are) then via PLR you can get paid each time one of your books is lent out ! Not a lot of people know that !
Bye
David
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the biography discussion forum (214 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
45 6 Apr 2015
the rose coloured wish by florence bone 25 22 Dec 2015
Laugh out loud books? 52 28 Aug 2015
Biographies on gay Alan Turing show he had parental neglect as a kid (mygenes.co.nz) 282 19 Aug 2015
Bio on Benny Hill shows he was considered funnier than watching paint dry 30 31 Jul 2015
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 33 20 Jul 2015
Bio on Man Of Truth showed he had repetitive word syndrome called Hill! (delusional.com) 28 25 May 2015
Bio on Benny Hill shows he was considered funnier than Monty Python by various TV stations 363 23 May 2015
HELP! Recommendations for history novels authors please 52 18 May 2015
I have forgotten the title of this book 73 7 May 2015
Best Biography? 464 16 Mar 2015
A desperate young man, ex coal miner, grabs an opportunity and now mixes with film stars 2 21 Jan 2015

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  3 Feb 2011
Latest post:  8 Feb 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions