Customer Discussions > biography discussion forum

If you like biographies about ordinary people...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 158 posts in this discussion
Posted on 22 Feb 2012 21:19:27 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Feb 2012 21:20:24 GMT
Jonna Ivin says:
Will Love For Crumbs - A Memoir

Product Description
Raised by an alcoholic mother and without a father, Jonna learned at a young age to put her needs on the back-burner. After her mother dies of cancer, she goes on a spiritual journey looking for enlightenment and a purpose for her life. Eventually, she ends up as a volunteer in the relief effort following Hurricane Ike. There she meets a man who will forever change her life.

In the swamps of Louisiana and the hills of Arkansas, Jonna follows her heart to build a life with an American hero - a 20 year veteran of the Army Special Forces. Only after uprooting her whole life, leaving everything and everyone she knows behind, do the pieces of this fairytale start to unravel. Realizing the man of her dreams is actually the stuff of nightmares; Jonna must once again go within and discover why she is a woman willing to love for crumbs.

About the Author
Jonna Ivin is a playwright and screenwriter. Presently she is resting her head in Vancouver, Washington, cuddling with pugs and waiting to see where the next journey will take her. Jonna is currently working a screen adaptation of Will Love For Crumbs.

Posted on 23 Feb 2012 20:28:15 GMT
Omar says:
Try Coming To Astoria (Growing up in NYC in the 1970's) (free today).

Posted on 25 Feb 2012 01:25:35 GMT
Try Why? by Charlotte Cunningham Why?

Posted on 25 Feb 2012 09:30:34 GMT
A T Moraes says:
Try Lar de Isaura by A de Moraes, This book is based on a true story, Maximiniano is a young man, who Emmigrated From Portugal in 1919 to work with his father in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Maximinano's illegitimate daughter Isaura, would marry a man whose alcoholism destroyed his own family, both had twenty two children while living a hard life, this is the first chapter of the Lar de Isaura.

Posted on 26 Feb 2012 16:51:34 GMT
Last edited by the author on 26 Feb 2012 23:37:33 GMT
Samphire Coast I highly recommend Samphire Coast especially if you ever consider starting a business or venturing into life changing adventure - I had to read it twice because I enjoyed Robert's adventure and journey of discovery so much. If you have ever hovered at a cross road in your life with a burning ambition /dream screaming to be fulfilled Samphire Coast will inspire you to take up the challenge and travel new roads. By far the best read this year. Robert Greenfield's life experiences are beautifully crafted on to the page. His work is colourful and humorous with an underline message that with risk, tenasity and focus you can achieve anything your heart desires. No matter what life throws at you. Robert's wonderful odyssey would make a brilliant television play and an excellent self help aid. I want to read more Robert Greenfield!!

Posted on 26 Feb 2012 16:56:29 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 26 Feb 2012 23:35:20 GMT]

Posted on 18 Mar 2012 15:25:12 GMT
phleabas says:
I have enjoyed reading 'Emigrating Home' by Yasseen, it can be quite funny.
Emigrating Home

Posted on 19 Mar 2012 06:49:43 GMT
andy evans says:
You could try our very own 'Displaced' by Andy Evans and Vesna Kovac
West Yorkshire native re-discovers his roots in the former Yugoslavia.
Born into the coal-mining industry, Andy Evans spent his childhood dreaming of another place, one not blackened by industry, but green and pure, the land his grandfather, Maksim Culumovic, had once called home.

Maksim was a `Displaced Person'. Originally from the former Yugoslavia, he had left his country of birth during the bitter fighting of World War II, where, in 1941, he had survived a brutal attack on his village that had left his neighbours, friends and the majority of his family ruthlessly slaughtered. The once peaceful community he had fought so hard to protect was destroyed in one single despicable act.

Following the horror of that day, he had left what remained of his family, including his older brother, Ostoja, his friends and everything he had ever known and after time spent in resettlement camps in Germany and Italy, Featherstone became his new home.

Like most of West Yorkshire, Wakefield, Huddersfield and Halifax had become home to `alien' communities, encouraged over by a western power that had suffered heavy casualties in the war and needed a new workforce to run the heavy industry at home.

For the next 40 years, Maksim worked hard and built himself a new life, far away from the one he had started with. The shadow of his past hung over him, but he remained silent on the subject.

When he died in 1988 aged 79, it was his grandson, Andy, who set out to find the past, so well hidden to both family and friends that it would take a twenty-year search to uncover the truth.

Displaced is a joint work between Andy, and his Bosnian cousin Vesna Kovac, granddaughter of Ostoja, bought together finally to show both sides of this emotional story. The hardships of the coalmine and a heartbroken grandchild are bought into sharp contrast with a young woman's trials in a post-Yugoslav civil war that would once again scar the landscape of what is now Bosnia, Serbia and Croatia.

Their stories combine to create an enthralling text and finally answer the question that Andy, now 45, has spent the last twenty years trying to discover.
Who was Maksim?

Posted on 19 Mar 2012 09:36:55 GMT
"Eight to Sixteen, an Interval of Time" my first book, listed, but as yet no comments, this covers my life from eight to sixteen years old during the war years, very traumatic with the early loss of my father, and everything that followed.
Ronald. G. Moore.

Posted on 20 Mar 2012 06:40:33 GMT
Sou'Wester says:
Scrolling through this and other Biography threads they do still seem to be dominated by authors promoting their own work. This may be an appropriate time, therefore, to remind contributors that Amazon now only permits sef-promotion within the "Meet Our Authors" community and not elsewhere. For further details see the thread "Important Announcement from Amazon" which should appear as the first discussion in this forum.

Posted on 25 Apr 2012 01:10:04 BDT
Poked and Prodded- A Humorous Medical Memoir

Memoir Description:
This is a story about a man. A man who felt he had developed a potentially life-threatening sickness, only to be told "you're fine". This is a story about this man's struggle to deal with and overcome this all-too-common medical drama.

So, sit back, relax. Gather your family round. Call up your pets. Invite your family physician to sit next to you as you journey into Poked and Prodded.

General Surgeon's Warning- Reading the following story may cause one or more of the following symptoms:

*Uncontrollable laughter
*Sudden sadness
*Loss of appetite
*Gain of appetite
*Pessimism
*Optimism
*Increased Heart Rate
*Decreased Tension
*Goosebumps
*Flatulence
*Vivid Dreams
*Sleep Paralysis
*Excessive Sweating

Posted on 25 Apr 2012 01:22:15 BDT
Lord of the Dance.(memoir) (Me myself and Wendy. True life. Book 1)
try lord of the Dance in the kindle store, A true memoir child abuse, dissociation. Heart rending but also a positive outcome.

Posted on 25 Apr 2012 01:36:06 BDT
Crushed My NHS Summer
I am a very ordinary person as referred to in the title of this forum. I have just published the story of how I was crushed under a tractor & rescued by an Air Ambulance & the NHS. Its a bit different & I will be donating from proceeds to various Air Ambulances
Thank you

Posted on 26 Apr 2012 11:33:54 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 Apr 2012 11:34:28 BDT
Jenny says:
Re: Crushed My NHS Summer - that sounds like a terrifying experience, I will put it on my "to read" list.

My own suggestions for biographies of ordinary people are;
Lapping it up, an ordinary woman, who lived an extraordinary life. (Soft Target Series)

Miss Sharpe Takes Control - Memoirs of a Dominatrix
and
Secrets of a Webcam Girl: A Memoir

They are all about women who get involved in rather "taboo" occupations but all are jolly good reads and just goes to show what goes on behind closed doors

Posted on 26 Apr 2012 13:16:04 BDT
BarryB says:
I've just read Miss Sharpe Takes Control - Memoirs of a Dominatrix. The account of how a downtrodden housewife escapes a unhappy relationship by becoming a dominatrix. They do say that fact is stranger than fiction. One part is almost a DIY manual on how to set up as a dominatrix. Good read.

Posted on 26 Apr 2012 19:57:39 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 26 Apr 2012 19:58:53 BDT]

Posted on 1 May 2012 23:26:14 BDT
Leah says:
The last 8 months

A short personal Autobiography, only available as an ebook, could be of interest to some women, written in diary form and is from personal experience

Thanks

Posted on 2 May 2012 10:11:13 BDT
It's plugging my own father's book, I know, but, hey, if you don't ask.... His memoirs are about his time growing up on the east coast of Scotland, his travels round the world and how he didn't take kindly to authority.

Loads of pictures, funny and bitter-sweet anecdotes.

Have a look anyway.

A Short Life - The First 90 Years

Posted on 3 May 2012 09:12:49 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 3 May 2012 09:14:20 BDT]

Posted on 3 May 2012 09:13:41 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 May 2012 09:14:12 BDT
lozan365 says:
One Life to Live

"One Life to Live" by Alexander Crombie Cordiner

This is the story of an ordinary young man from an ordinary family in the North East of Scotland. Like other young men of his generation, Crombie was called up at 18 to join the Army in World War II. He soon found himself in a world totally different from that of his happy childhood in Aberdeenshire. He served with the 9th Battalion Royal Tank Regiment, landed in Normandy a short time after the Normandy landings, moved with his regiment across France, Belgium and the Netherlands, liberating the town of Roosendaal, and served in Germany at the end of the war.

"One Life to Live" is Crombie's full account of his wartime experiences, other memoirs are "The Last Act: March - December 1945", "A Tale of Five Lads", and "Memories of a Nobody".

Posted on 4 May 2012 09:26:44 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 May 2012 09:29:03 BDT
P. R. Scott says:
Well, this is probably shameless self promotion, but as an independant writer/publisher, I have no agent to do it for me, so the autobiographical 'Expletives Deleted' is now FREE on Kindle for the next 5 days. Thanks

Posted on 28 May 2012 16:29:01 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 28 May 2012 16:29:48 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2012 14:07:51 BDT
Davy E. says:
Try

Posted on 24 Jun 2012 10:36:48 BDT
I NISBET says:
Hi,

I have published a kindle book account about my experiences with Mubarak's State Security and prison system.

Mubarak's Mazra'a - My time as a political prisoner in Egypt

http://amzn.to/MrPs41

This is an account of my time in Mubaraks Prison system in Egypt, between 2002 and 2006.
There are many stories that have been left untold, but what follows are the main events of my incarceration, as well as a few stories to give a glimpse of what prison life in Mubarak's Egypt was like. In a few places I have changed names of people, as it may not be desirable or even safe for their true identity to be known.
Most of this text was written immediately after I returned to the UK, although a few additions were made more recently. As I type this introduction, I have just heard reports that Hosni Mubarak is critically unwell, after spending some time in the very prison that I was in. I had also heard that his two sons and much of his government were actually incarcerated in the same cells that I used to frequent, during my stay in Mazra'a Tora prison near Cairo.

Thanks

Ian

Posted on 24 Jun 2012 12:39:11 BDT
Papaya says:
One of my favourite memoirs is Precious: A True Story It's about a baby girl who is advertised in a magazine and sent to live with a stranger. It's a heart-rending story but it's also very witty. The baby girl is called Precious and the birth mother is from some Nigerian royal family. The lady who actually takes Precious in is an old white lady in the English countryside who has never known any black people before.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the biography discussion forum (204 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  112
Total posts:  158
Initial post:  2 Mar 2011
Latest post:  29 Jul 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 30 customers

Search Customer Discussions