Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > biography discussion forum

If you like biographies about ordinary people...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 158 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 28 May 2011 08:33:37 BDT
I like this beginning very much. Its ironic, slightly sardonic tone appeals to me. What this writer has up up their sleeve could be anything. The situation - an old man with a new baby and a discontented young wife - is explosive. And this child in its crib obviously grew up and got itself a good education. What happened in between? Will there be light and shade or will it go on like a Greek tragedy. Hopefully no family murders or people poking their eyes out with brooches. What's next then?

Posted on 30 May 2011 11:27:17 BDT
Kate says:
'Clockwise from Home ' by samantha Cochrane.
Truily inspirational story about a youg woman widowed at 27. What happens next is amazing! Check it out Clockwise from Home

Posted on 11 Jun 2011 11:50:09 BDT
Pam Howes says:
For an inspirational story may I recommended this:Six Cats In My Kitchen by Lyn Horner. A great Kindle read for only 70 pence.
Product Description
As I say on the first page, very first line, this is not a "cute kitty" book. I started out to create just that, but my cast of characters swiftly dug in their claws, insisting I tell their true story. Consequently, this comedy/drama turned out to be a very personal memoir. Six special cats are still the headline-grabbing stars of the show, but their human companions (my family) fill pivotal supporting roles.

ISubjects touched upon include grieving the loss of human and four-footed loved ones, moving cross-country with kids and pets, and living with a disabling genetic illness. I have tried to lighten the heavy stuff with smatterings of humor, but you still might want a tissue or two.

Most of all, this is a love story about the deep, unbreakable bonds I have shared with my adopted feline children.

Posted on 12 Jun 2011 15:46:02 BDT
Tina Fowler says:
Drink Dear Boy is about two very ordinary people who decide to make their "dream come true", they could be your next door neighbour, your cousin, aunt or uncle but these two people turn out to be not ordinary at all. As their amazing adventure unfolds it is clear that they are now living their dream and however idyllic their life becomes it is not without quite a few drama's and some low "what have we done" moments, hence at the end of a very traumatic day when all seemed to be going against them the "Drink Dear Boy" was a welcome sound. A book like this makes you realize that there are some brave, if a little eccentric, adventurous personalities in this world, and long may there be so. A great read.

Posted on 13 Jun 2011 13:19:07 BDT
Oh God. I'm so ashamed of myself... I saw the title of this thread and have tried my hardest to resist some blatant self promotion, but I'm so pathetic I couldn't do it any longer...

Life... With No Breaks is my humorous look at the world, written in a thirty hour period. It's got 50 reviews at Amazon Uk and is a top seller at £1.49. Take a look if you fancy a biography about an ordinary person.

I feel so dirty.

Posted on 13 Jun 2011 19:24:39 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 Jun 2011 19:25:16 BDT
honeybunny says:
I can vouch for Nick's very funny book,it made me laugh out loud, but also had some sad bits that most of us can identify with.
An autobiography which was originally banned when it was published in the UK a hundred years ago and is still very enjoyable is 'The Life and Loves of Frank Harris. Raunchy, funny but timeless writing that is still fresh today.I couldn't put it down.
Nick, don't be ashamed of yourself re your blatant self promotion,if I remember rightly, the first story you share in your book is way more shameful than promoting yourself here!;)

Posted on 17 Jun 2011 00:57:56 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Jun 2011 01:01:00 BDT
Mr JJ Harper says:
I've just finished converting to Kindle my grandfather's book about his experiences as an infantry soldier during world war two:

Just a Walk in the Sun

He crossed from Dover to France with the 1st Herefordshire Regiment shortly after D-day and fought on foot through France, Belgium, Germany and Holland for almost a year (with a short time incapacitated with a shrapnel wound) all the way to VE day and beyond.

It's an amazing story of an 'ordinary' (though it's fair to say he's anything but) man thrust into an extraordinary situation -- and the thing that really stands out for me is the amazing luck (as much as anything else) that was a deciding factor in who 'made it' and who didn't.

I hope anyone who picks it up enjoys it.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jun 2011 14:15:32 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Jun 2011 14:15:58 BDT
@Mr. Harper. Congratulations on completing your work. I'm sure you learned much about your father during the writing process. Many families fail to encourage their fathers, uncles, even neighbors to take the time to recount their experiences. You have a treasure, a 'living' memoir of his experiences.
POW #74324

Posted on 17 Jun 2011 15:31:22 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 14 Dec 2012 12:58:15 GMT]

Posted on 25 Jun 2011 15:13:17 BDT
Try this one. It is called 'Mr Versatility'. Go to www.delmeherriman.com for full details. It is a story of dreams/adoption/searching for belonging and basketball.

Regards

Delme

Posted on 25 Jun 2011 20:26:18 BDT
Aditya says:
Onsite Opportunity: Tryst of an Indian Software Engineer with the World

I recommend this book. It gives some interesting insight into the life of IT professionals from India who are now synonymous with the idustry.

Posted on 30 Jun 2011 14:25:46 BDT
1923: A Memoir 83p

Review
It's a personal as well as a social history. Smith has the knack of bringing the times to life in a way that few writers can manage. It's the ability to tell a story, the knowledge of when to move on & not labour a point.
--The Bookbag

1923 is a book that succeeds in two ways with ease, both as a personal memoir of a life lived in a volatile age and as a record of that age for all time. --The Current Reader

"1923" is uplifting and highly recommended. --Midwest Book Review

1923: A Memoir is a protest against social injustice, corruption, war, famine, poverty, and societies blinded by greed. More importantly, it is the story of hope and the notion that anything can be overcome if desired. --The Publishing Guru
Product Description
To say that Harry Smith was born under an unlucky star would be an understatement. Born in England in 1923, Smith chronicles the tragic story of his early life in this first volume of his memoirs. He presents his family's early history-their misfortunes and their experiences of enduring betrayal, inhumane poverty, infidelity, and abandonment.

1923: A Memoir presents the story of a life lyrically described, capturing a time both before and during World War II when personal survival was dependent upon luck and guile. During this time, failure insured either a trip to the workhouse or burial in a common grave. Brutally honest, Smith's story plummets to the depths of tragedy and flies up to the summit of mirth and wonder, portraying real people in an uncompromising, unflinching voice.

1923: A Memoir tells of a time and place when life, full of raw emotion, was never so real.
From the Back Cover
The sky is clear. I am in the back of a truck, in a long convoy of vehicles. We are moving like an enormous centipede up a two lane road. There are 15 men in each lorry. Woodbine cigarettes and Capstans dangle from our mouths. The straps to our tin helmets hang loosely around our chins. We are cocksure and unafraid. We are survivors and conquerors pushing our way through northern Germany. Opposite our convoy, there is an endless procession of refugees. They are pushing their scant possessions in hand carts or dragging along worn luggage with ropes wrapped around them. The procession contained men and women, the young and the old. Thin, cadaverous horses followed the throng dragging their hoofs in the thin soil beside the road. The jetsam was a mixture of forced labourers, ex prisoners, ex concentration camp inmates and the Diaspora from Germany's eastern provinces. They were all moving southward, as if believing that their homes still existed or that they still had relatives alive to give them shelter. If the Netherlands and Belgium were any example to me, there was little left of Europe. What had not been bombed had been looted and what had not been looted had been burned to the ground.

Posted on 1 Jul 2011 03:16:43 BDT
An American Odyssey by one of 6 ordinary blokes who dared to cross America on the R66 on Harley Davidsons:
When you think of the sheer size of North America, it's not surprising that those who live on the east coast think of the UK as being `just across the pond' compared to the west coast of the USA that is such an unimaginable distance that it might as well be on the moon, at least in so far as road or rail travel is concerned, and no ordinary American would ever dream of attempting such a journey.
Well, you know what they say about Mad Dogs and Englishmen... 6 of these middle-aged and inexperienced `lads' undertook a 4,000 mile, coast-to-coast journey from Washington DC to Los Angeles, on Harley Davidson bikes, no less, riding for the most part in the hottest time of day, and following wherever possible the old Mother road: Route 66. Why not tag along on the highs and lows of their epic journey?

Posted on 1 Jul 2011 07:02:38 BDT
Last edited by the author on 1 Jul 2011 07:03:52 BDT
ian says:
Be The Best You Can Be ( polio my constant companion ) Not sure if this would be of interest, a true story of hope written in the words of the survivor.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jul 2011 11:07:30 BDT
You might like Suicidal State a true story just published by Sammy Jo Dancey. A compelling read getting rave reviews.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jul 2011 11:14:09 BDT
Batteneye says:
I've just downloaded a sample but I note that no one has reviewed it yet.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jul 2011 11:20:39 BDT
Urban Vaper says:
My book, Losing the Hate, has eleven 5 star reviews, and is priced at just £1.71.
It is the true story of my struggle with the demons that, until recently, I have carried for three decades.
I speak of how the abusers of my childhood helped to mould the many complex issues that I had as an adult. It descibes of how I became reliant on the infamous Sex Pistols' image in order to hide the pain and suffering I was feeling throughout my teenage years, and includes some of the many poems that I wrote during my darkest hours.
A sample is available to download.Losing the Hate by Simon Palmer

Posted on 6 Jul 2011 14:57:05 BDT
KnightKnight says:
Universal Office Diary by Joe Hebden

A unique account of office life ! Without Ricky Gervais.......

Posted on 8 Jul 2011 15:55:11 BDT
Dailymail says:
You might like 'A Cockney's Journey' by Eddie Allen Brilliant Autobiography available at Amazon.

Posted on 9 Jul 2011 03:51:16 BDT
You might like An American Odyssey or Pack Your Bags and Get Out! or One Brit, One Bike, One Big Country, all written by ordinary blokes about their extraordinary doings

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jul 2011 16:43:33 BDT
R. Chang says:
HeLa cells were used extensively in cancer research.

Howver, there is a problem with them which invalidates all the results of work done with them. You can get more detils in James Le Fanu's book - the Rise and Fall of Modern medicine whic debunks many medical shibboleths.
Rene Chang
http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/renechang.

Posted on 14 Jul 2011 20:37:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 Jul 2011 20:39:09 BDT
Rikki Wilson says:
I am the Author of a Biography Called 'INSIDE OUT' by Rick Atkinson. I am a 42 year old full time single father of two children who mean everything to me. I consider my self to be a "ORDINARY PERSON", however I was a bit naughty and very adventurous (in every sense of the word) whilst growing up in a rough area of South London during the 70's 80's 90's etc. Although the book is listed under TRUE CRIME/BIOGRAPHY catagory, There are plenty of funny, romantic, sleazy sex stories, mingled in with the Naughty bits and the time I spent in london's toughest Prison paying for my Naughty exploits. INSIDE OUT' has a subtile called: You can take the boy out of Peckham... and is now available on amazon.co.uk as a kindle/ebook download for only £5.88p or on amazon.com for $7.99. The Hardback and paperback is also available if you prefer the physical book rather than electronic. It's a great book to read while doing that long journey to work, or even when you have some me-time to yourself at home, or in the garden with a nice cuppa and some biscuits, especially if you like reading Biography's by "Ordinary People". Inside Out has had some great reviews so I can confidently promise that you Will enjoy Reading it. Imagine how good you will feel as you Read Through The Book, letting each page absorb you deeper and deeper into an adventure. I wouldn't tell you that £5.88p is a small amount of money, But, for the price of a cheap Packet of cigarettes, you could 'Relax, and Immerse yourself So DEEP into this Journey through my adventurous, romantic, thrilling and dangerous exploits, that You're Unconscious' mind will block out any other distractions around you, leaving you to float deeper into your own Imagination. How would it feel to Imagine that you are Buy' the authors side through every stage of 'The Book? You can Join me in every scene, every dangerous scenario, every moment of joy and despair from the warm saftey of your chosen book reading place. Here is a quick Link to the amazon kindle link: INSIDE OUT

Posted on 15 Jul 2011 10:03:46 BDT
How about this?

The Autobiography of a Super-Tramp

It's the (true) story of a Welsh poet-tramp's travels in the USA, Canada and England, first published at the start of the last century. It paints a unique picture of hobo/tramp life on both sides of the pond in that era. And it's where the prog rock band Supertramp got their name.

Posted on 15 Jul 2011 10:50:41 BDT
Travelman says:
If you have an interest in the immediate post-colonial era in West Africa and the Nigerian/Biafran war (1967-70) in particular, you may like my memoir entitled The Up-Country Man available in Kindle and paperback format.
It's the story of a young British engineer caught up in the political upheaval in Nigeria when he is assigned to the company's branch at Enugu, soon to be the capital of the breakaway state of Biafra. Hostile civilians, road blocks, secret police, marauding, drunken soldiers and food shortages are just some of the difficulties he faced before being evacuated by sea to Lagos as Federal troops closed in for the final assault on the township.

Posted on 18 Jul 2011 21:26:39 BDT
K. O'Brien says:
I have recently wrote a book called NEVER TRUST
ANYONE which I have also had published it's a true down to earth, hard hitting and sad story that tells how I was left after my mum's suspicious death at the age of 9 years to suffer severe torture at the hands of my Dad and others I thought I could trust, My story is a sad one but also humorous and I,m sure anyone who loves reading real Life stories this is the book for you, Thank you for your time and if you want to know more about my book please e-mail me kobrady@hotmail.co.uk
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the biography discussion forum (214 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
45 6 Apr 2015
the rose coloured wish by florence bone 25 22 Dec 2015
Laugh out loud books? 52 28 Aug 2015
Biographies on gay Alan Turing show he had parental neglect as a kid (mygenes.co.nz) 282 19 Aug 2015
Bio on Benny Hill shows he was considered funnier than watching paint dry 30 31 Jul 2015
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 33 20 Jul 2015
Bio on Man Of Truth showed he had repetitive word syndrome called Hill! (delusional.com) 28 25 May 2015
Bio on Benny Hill shows he was considered funnier than Monty Python by various TV stations 363 23 May 2015
HELP! Recommendations for history novels authors please 52 18 May 2015
I have forgotten the title of this book 73 7 May 2015
Best Biography? 464 16 Mar 2015
A desperate young man, ex coal miner, grabs an opportunity and now mixes with film stars 2 21 Jan 2015

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  112
Total posts:  158
Initial post:  2 Mar 2011
Latest post:  29 Jul 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 30 customers

Search Customer Discussions