Customer Discussions > biography discussion forum

What should I read next? Advice Please!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 106 posts in this discussion
Posted on 28 Feb 2011 08:36:27 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 18 Sep 2012 21:32:21 BDT]

Posted on 28 May 2011 19:35:33 BDT
1923: A Memoir 84p

You might find my book compelling reading for a train trip or a rainy afternoon.
Review
It's a personal as well as a social history. Smith has the knack of bringing the times to life in a way that few writers can manage. It's the ability to tell a story, the knowledge of when to move on & not labour a point.
--The Bookbag

1923 is a book that succeeds in two ways with ease, both as a personal memoir of a life lived in a volatile age and as a record of that age for all time. --The Current Reader

"1923" is uplifting and highly recommended. --Midwest Book Review

1923: A Memoir is a protest against social injustice, corruption, war, famine, poverty, and societies blinded by greed. More importantly, it is the story of hope and the notion that anything can be overcome if desired. --The Publishing Guru
Product Description
To say that Harry Smith was born under an unlucky star would be an understatement. Born in England in 1923, Smith chronicles the tragic story of his early life in this first volume of his memoirs. He presents his family's early history-their misfortunes and their experiences of enduring betrayal, inhumane poverty, infidelity, and abandonment.

1923: A Memoir presents the story of a life lyrically described, capturing a time both before and during World War II when personal survival was dependent upon luck and guile. During this time, failure insured either a trip to the workhouse or burial in a common grave. Brutally honest, Smith's story plummets to the depths of tragedy and flies up to the summit of mirth and wonder, portraying real people in an uncompromising, unflinching voice.

1923: A Memoir tells of a time and place when life, full of raw emotion, was never so real.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 May 2011 11:14:52 BDT
Kate says:
'Clockwise from Home' by Samantha Cochrane
Inspirational about a young woman who has led an extraordinary life. It's all true!

Posted on 30 Jul 2011 11:57:34 BDT
Hi ya I cant reccommend BORSTAL GIRL by EILEEN MACKENNEY enough, its a true story about a woman who has to fight to survive all the hardships thrown at her, not always in the correct way and soon she is on the wrong side of the law and ends up in borstal, which only magnifies eileens fighting spirit and will to survive, it is a book that you just wont be able to put down once you start. Its very much like the Martina cole novels but in this case it is a TRUE story.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Aug 2011 13:28:21 BDT
My grandfather's (Rubin Katz's) new book 'Gone to Pitchipoi', a very good read for all ages between 12 and 120. It's a WWII/Holocaust memoir but rather than all the typical death and horror it shows more of a child's amazement and exploits in such a world-rocking event. I never knew about my grandfather's life before England but reading this has opened up my eyes to his life and my ancestry. He was even worse behaved than I was and still am! I didn't even know it was possible for a young Jewish boy to befriend German soldiers. Anyway, my point recommences, it isn't your average war memoir but on the whole something more unique. Read it or don't, I don't mind (I'm not the one getting royalties) but this book will stay on my shelf and on my mind forever.

Posted on 4 Aug 2011 11:12:03 BDT
D. L. Hooker says:
Hi Ellie
The following is not an obvious choice for an 18 year old woman. However...
Try Desperate Tiger by Octavius Pitt. Why? well, click on the link below to see a short video showing why.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Ro4w6Hafs
Best wishes
Dave Hooker

Posted on 4 Aug 2011 11:23:41 BDT
You Could read my Book - Eyebrows and Other Fish

Posted on 28 May 2012 16:34:53 BDT
I can recommend the newly released Asylum Bound by Stuart Townsend. Asylum Bound.This is about my experience of entering a mental hospital as a student nurse in the 70s and describing the situations I found myself in. It is a memoir as well as a history. It was a scary time!
"My God, has it come to this?"
Meet Grace, white-haired, with dementia, being admitted to the daunting asylum with an un-welcome introduction from the student nurse. Then Percy, the crystal radio buff, with depression. Here is Harry, the Japanese ex-POW, who's bath-time is a re-living of battles fought and Walter, with the dodgy and less than faithful, girl-friend. What about Tom, who is getting secret signs from both the Newscaster on the BBC as well as the landlady of the local pub, or Betty who won't fit in the coffin, and needs a bit of encouragement?
But also meet Stuart, the very novice student nurse fearfully working on nights, standing there being strangled, not knowing what to do, or trying to come to grips on his first day on the ward with shaving a corpse.
Learn about what goes on in the long asylum corridor & how to survive the laws of the asylum jungle. Stuart has to rely on information from the unlikeliest of sources, the Social Club hard drinkers.
Asylum Bound is a wild weird walk through the experiences of a student nurse as he enters the unknown world of the mental "asylum" of the 1970s. It is a bizarre world, a world of terrible extremes.
Within this odd place there are Hogarthian characters of varying chaotic hues, some aggressive, some sad, some disturbed and some institutionalised, both patients and staff. It is in this strange world that Stuart begins to understand the origins of psychiatry and its terrible treatments, including lobotomies, E.C.T., insulin shock and even aversion therapy for underwear snatchers. He has to learn about schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, new and frightening conditions that had new and frightening treatments and outcomes.
But he finds an asylum coming to the end of any usefulness it ever once had. The patients are leaving, the staff are changing, and, thank God, the abuses are declining. It is a different world from anything he has experienced before. It is a very new world. It is a life-changing revelation.
For Stuart, what started as a novelty, progressed to fascination and was to end in tragedy.
It was the start of a long psychiatric nursing career.
It is, sadly, all true.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 May 2012 21:03:48 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 May 2012 21:11:20 BDT
A. Jeens says:
Product Description The Journey by Adrian Jeens
The wonderful sound of the group of boy vocalists called LIBERA, who have sung all around the world in front of Presidents, the Pope, and several thousand fans, and who frequently appear on television and radio, is explored in this new book. This is the story of how it all started, from a small church choir in Norbury, South London in the 1970's, through to Angel Voices during the 1980's and 1990's, to what they are today as LIBERA. Under the guidance of the composer Robert Prizeman (known also for his role within the BBC's long-running religious television show, "Songs of Praise") the reader will learn how LIBERA has grown to become a household name across the world. Complete with photographs this book will be hard to put down, as the LIBERA story is told in full.
The Book is a good read not too long and very interesting try it. The Journey Book The Journey EBook

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jun 2012 10:45:04 BDT
Karma Donlha says:
Explore yourself - it may take a little longer but worthwhile trusting yourself. Good luck with the exploring

Posted on 6 Jun 2012 03:17:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Jun 2012 03:18:18 BDT
mister joe says:
The Trial Kafka,Catcher In The Rye JD Salinger,Crash JG Ballard.....Ham On Rye by Bukowski{amazing}The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen,Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace,Remains Of The Day, Name Of The Rose Umberto Eco.Nice name Ellie,thats what i called my daughter.What a beautiful thing to read an 18 year old studying AND asking for book suggestions.
I assumed all 18 year olds were busy throwing rocks through the windows of Greggs.

Posted on 8 Jun 2012 03:49:52 BDT
The molecules that surround us is good so far. I just started reading it

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jun 2012 14:29:43 BDT
Hmantzou says:
How about something different? `A million little piesces` by James Frey? Highly recommented!!! Sorry for the spelling mistakes... I am Greek...

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jun 2012 08:13:30 BDT
Ian Stott says:
Check out Ertha Bear and No-Bear by Ian Stott

Posted on 20 Jun 2012 07:42:33 BDT
Dantespike says:
One year without the use of money

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2012 11:38:17 BDT
S Takyar says:
life of pie

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2012 14:03:34 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Jun 2012 14:10:12 BDT
Davy E. says:
try Wolves in my Head by Davy E.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2012 18:27:23 BDT
I am presently reading a Kindle book called 'The Making of Modern Britain' by Andrew Marr and I think this could meet your needs. If youy haven't got a Kindle, then another bok I have started on is a paperback from Amazon called 'The Moral Landscape' by Sam Harris. His purpose in witing the book is to show how science can determine human values.
Ian

Posted on 17 Jul 2012 22:08:53 BDT
Dantespike says:
One year without the use of money
short story but very good to read

Posted on 18 Jul 2012 16:42:35 BDT
If you did 'Elements of the Gothic' you may have already read 'The Wasp Factory', but if not, then I'd definitely give it a try. Aside from that, 'Revolutionary Road' by Richard Yates is a must, as is 'Mrs. Dalloway'. If you really want to be stretched try Joyce's 'Ulysses', it's filled with dense erudition and wit. Feminism is perceived most interetingly by Woolf, ad as such I much agree with the first response in that she commands attention.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012 11:40:13 BDT
Bootsalefan says:
Hi Ellie

I would recommend The Devil Dancers by T. Thurai. This is a novel set in south east Asia (Ceylon, now known as Sri Lanka). I think that this book is well written and would be a very absorbing read for anyone interested in modern English literature. I read it on a Kindle during my daily commute to London.

As a Sri Lankan I think that the author has shown amazing insight into the culture and beliefs of the time. It recreates the culture so faithfully that I actually felt that I was there.

This book stands comparison with other works that I have enjoyed, such as those of James Michener (Centennial, Hawaii), John Steinbeck (Grapes of Wrath, Cannery Row, East of Eden) and E. M. Forster (Passage to India). The fictional characters interact with actual historical figures. The complex religious beliefs of this period are effectively explained through the use of magical realism.

Some of the strongest characters in the book are the women who are consistent in their conduct, courage and loyalty while the men are more of a mixed bunch, subject to self-doubt, frailty and acts of cruelty.

Posted on 20 Jul 2012 01:51:59 BDT
Gill Fox says:
The Crimson Petal and the White is excellent.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jul 2012 08:18:58 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 Jul 2012 08:23:22 BDT
Bootsalefan says:
Havent read the book (The Crimson Petal and the White) but loved the BBC dramatisation.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jul 2012 12:34:23 BDT
Paul Ennis says:
I think its time for you to try something completely different, try Show No Fear a bouncers diary, you will be pleasantly surprised. Not what you would expect.

Posted on 20 Jul 2012 13:00:12 BDT
I Readalot says:
As this thread was started in March 2010 I think it is unlikely that the OP is still monitoring it. It seems to have been revived this year as a mainly self-promo thread, interesting.
Your reply to I Readalot's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the biography discussion forum (204 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  88
Total posts:  106
Initial post:  23 Mar 2010
Latest post:  23 Jan 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions