Customer Discussions > biography discussion forum

A book for an 18 yr old

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Nov 2011 14:34:16 GMT
katherine says:
hello i'm 18 and my sister wants to buy me something for about £10-£15 for christmas, i want a book but i have all the ones i want so i want something new preferabley not a serise of books unless they are fairley cheap.
I like anything from jane auston and edgar allen poe to enid blyton and terry pratchett please don't suggest some god awfull thing like twilight or vampire academy.
thanks

Posted on 28 Nov 2011 17:01:02 GMT
Maria says:
Some classics such as Charles Dickens or Elizabeth Gaskell perhaps which you might not normally buy. Or something connected to a hobby or interest that you have.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2011 18:05:26 GMT
katherine says:
Charles dickens is a good idea thank you :)

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2011 17:32:07 GMT
Lulu says:
Hey - I'm also 18 and just finished 'The Hunger Games'?? People refer to it as similar to 'Twilight' but I can assure you, as an English Lit degree student, I wouldn't touch anything like Twilight with a barge pole! It's really thought-provoking, emotionally engaging and I loved it! I know that you said not to suggest a series but, on Amazon, you can get all 3 for around £10. I also agree with the other post about Elizabeth Gaskell - I love 'North and South'!!

Anyway, hope this helps in some small way!!

Posted on 30 Nov 2011 00:30:38 GMT
M. Allani says:
I wrote Dark Waters - Chronicle of a Story Untold with all the things I wish I'd been aware of at eighteen in mind.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Nov 2011 11:25:18 GMT
Fifi says:
I am a HUGE Terry Pratchett fan. I just recently got him to sign my copy of Snuff: Discworld Novel 39 . If you don't already have it, it is brilliant!

My daughter, whi is 18, has really liked the folowing:

The Gonzo Papers Anthology or anything Hunter S Thompson
One Day
Scar Tissue: The Autobiography
Best of all, Catch-22: 50th Anniversary Edition

Perhaps a gift subscription to a magazine would be nice too. My daughter got Wonderlust, Lonely Planet and National Geographic for her birthday.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Nov 2011 11:47:36 GMT
I have a few suggestions based on my son's latest reads. He is 18 soon and tends to read complete rubbish! However, to widen his appreciation I have been lending him some of my favourites and he is actually enjoying them!

Robert McCammon - Speaks the Nightbird: McCammon was one of my favourite authors when I was a teen. He wrote horror and mystery, then became something of a recluse. After a spell in isolation he brought out this story of a young cleric in USA in 1699, taking part in a witch trial. Absolutely brilliant story, despite the strange title. Language, detail and atmosphere is very realistic and it's more of a murder-mystery set against the prejudices of the time. McCammon followed this with a sequel Queen of Bedlam which is also excellent.

Philip Pullman - Northern Lights, Subtle Knife, Amber Spyglass: The Northern Lights trilogy is arguably the most discussed fantasy work of the last 20 years. Is it a rant against the church, or is it just a good old story with well drawn characters. The imagination Pullman has is fantastic, with his warrior ice bears, hot air balloon pilots and such. If you have read these already, Pullman also has a detective series featuring feisty young heroine Sally Lockhart, set in Victorian England. These are also good - the series starts with Ruby in the Smoke which BBC made into a drama a couple of years ago with Billie Piper as Sally.

George R.R. Martin - Fevre Dream: Martin is more well known for his fantasy series Songs of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones), but in my teen years I found he had experimented with a darker novel about vampires on a paddleboat travelling up and down the Mississippi. Great story, and bearing in mind this was written in 1982, really changed the perception of vampires and dared to do something different. Twilight and Vampire Diaries may thing they have changed the mould but this novel did it much earlier and much better.

I hope you get a good one whatever your given.

Posted on 30 Nov 2011 13:40:46 GMT
katherine says:
Thank you for all the suggestions i now just need to decide between snuff, the hunger games and northern lights they all sound great :)

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Dec 2011 19:40:51 GMT
Ann sofie says:
What about some John Green, Nick and Nohra's Infinate Playlist, (yeah, it's a book) or No Kiss List? Or, for something a little more complex, what about The Secret History. I adore it.

Posted on 6 Dec 2011 02:28:18 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Dec 2011 02:29:01 GMT
mister joe says:
These changed my perception of books.
Ham On Rye /Charles Bukowski
Catcher In The Rye /JD Salinger
Crash /JG Ballard
American Pyscho /Brett Easton Ellis
Seriously read them.You will not regret it.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2011 14:08:55 GMT
Fifi says:
I also highly recommend Phillip Pullman. His Dark Materials; Northern Lights, Subtle Knife, Amber Spyglass is a wonderful trilogy. His Dark Materials: Gift Edition including all three novels: Northern Light, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass You can even get an anthology of all three!

Snuff is awesome though!

Posted on 8 Dec 2011 23:20:45 GMT
Mary says:
A Long Road To Freedom: The Life of Patrick McCrystal

This is the story of a young man during world war 2 written with the benefit of 91 years. Teenagers have been enjoying the story

Posted on 9 Dec 2011 02:21:22 GMT
My advice? Don't worry about age. When choosing what book to read, age should only come into it if you don't think you'll be around long enough to finish the thing, and even then there's always speed reading. If it's the right book, it's the right book!

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Dec 2011 14:23:53 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Dec 2011 14:27:14 GMT
why don't you buy the Otori saga by Leanne Hearn?
or "The bonesetter's daughter" by Amy Tan?

Posted on 10 Dec 2011 17:36:28 GMT
When I was 18, (quite a while ago) I read everything by Herman Hesse, and it heightened my perception of life. I particularly enjoyed Siddharta. Around that time I was also reading Richard Brautigan, who had a wonderful spare style of writing, and managed to be funny and poignant at the same time. I would start with The Revenge of the Lawn, which is a collection of short stories. The title story still makes me laugh now, and I remember almost every word of some of them, as they are so very well written, and touch the heart.

Posted on 11 Dec 2011 15:18:32 GMT
Game Of Thrones is brilliant, a fairly chunky book.

Posted on 8 Dec 2012 11:14:02 GMT
Try this short novel Live by the Knife (S.P.Y Files); the first in an epic series of thrilling and entertaining novels about a young spy, fighting for her country, while keeping her identity a secret from everyone around her. It had a little of everything in it, Romance, Action, teenage journeys, and a fun narrative by the attitude-fueled spy.

Primarily a young adult novel, but apparently many adults are also finding it enjoyable as well!! :) Enjoy

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2012 19:28:35 GMT
donegalgirl says:
How many more times are you going to spam the forum about this wretched book?

What staggers me is the number of SP authors who don't seem able to read. Try looking at the Important Amazon Announce,ment at the top of the forum thread list (the same on every forum). If you want to spam/promote you have to use the Meet Our Authors forum - see the announcement or the most active community forums at the bottom left of the page. Amazon remove promos and on occasion have de-listed the book.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2012 19:44:01 GMT
I Readalot says:
It is tragic donegalgirl, however if we wait long enough hopefully Amazon will delete them all. I don't think that this kind of person actually returns to threads after they have finished plugging. It really is pushing it when long dormant threads are revived specifically for this purpose.

Posted on 9 Dec 2012 16:30:18 GMT
Sou'Wester says:
Alas, I don't think Amazon has the time or inclination to take action against all but the most blatant of offenders. As for the idiot spamming that short novel all over the place, though unlikely it would be very unfortunate if she had no connection with the author - she seems to be making a determined effort to put everybody off buying the book!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Dec 2012 01:50:35 GMT
donegalgirl says:
Yes - tragic. I had the vain hope that Amazon would notify the individual of a reply to a post but I am no doubt deluded. There is another one active this evening on the thriller forum - five or six posts so far. It is a shame for those authors who do comply with the rules that their brethren try to get an advantage although as far as I can see, judging by the down votes, all these self pluggers do is put people off. Again, however, all SP authors get branded on account of the actions of a few.

I have been accused in the past of being anti-SP when all I am opposed to is rampant self promotion which I think is counter productive anyway. I rarely venture back to the forums and even more seldom do I post after one particular SP author accused me of anti-semitism on the basis of nothing more than her assumption that I knew her ethnic origin (which I didn't) and that had defended someone who had used the term "sleazy salesman" or "sleazy salesperson" which she regarded as a racial slur! She seemed to be under the impression that there was a strong undercurrent of anti-semitism in British society. Whilst her attitude was tragic, it left a deeply unpleasant taste in my mouth. I think she deleted some of her posts (they were vile) and Amazon I think deleted others but it didn't make me feel any better about what had happened

Mind you, we have another SP author valiantly 'protecting' himself on the fiction forum who appears to be deluded too. You do have to wonder sometimes about the sense of entitlement.

Faith

Posted on 23 Jan 2013 14:26:23 GMT
L. Cleaning says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the biography discussion forum (205 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  18
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  28 Nov 2011
Latest post:  23 Jan 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions