Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Aug 2012 22:32:26 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Aug 2012 22:43:59 BDT
I used to have the book Practical Gilding from Mac and Me - but with constant use it wore out years ago. So I don't know about this book and whether it covered all the subjects the original did. I served my time as an Interior and Exterior Decorator from 1957 for five years and went to Liverpool's School of Art three nights and one day a week to learn everything about decorating including Gilding, Graining, Marbling, Interior and Exterior Paint and putting them together with Thinners, Mediums (a kind of varnish), dryers, oils and lastly, the pigments used to add colour. I also learned about the various forms of Wall-hangings such as paper wallpapers, using grass, Lincrusta-Walton (putty-based finishes to give a room the look of wood paneling); Selected woods (as in paneling) and Sign-writing. The whole apprenticeship lasted five years (and One acquired several staged certificates for what is called an NVQ today and A City & Guilds Certificate at the end of your apprenticeship and an optional Fellowship certificate for Armorial and Heraldry which could get you into the Guild of Heraldry should you prove of sufficient worth as a Master Decorator) and is a far cry from the six month course offered today for aspiring decorators. I suppose I am qualified to teach the same artistic skills myself but now at seventy - I'm getting a wee bit too old to take up the brush and my work ethic again, but back then I learned lots of techniques that didn't come on a computer or mobile phone so I guess this is one way I could teach others... What do you think? Hugo Shepherd
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Amazon Customer Reviews discussion forum (255 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  1
Total posts:  1
Initial post:  5 Aug 2012
Latest post:  5 Aug 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions