Customer Discussions > action discussion forum

What did you watch last night?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2011 19:46:42 GMT
Spin says:
Blast: You name it: Crap. Hundreds of channels and nothing on.

Posted on 4 Dec 2011 21:57:27 GMT
Last night I watched Taken, great film!!

Tonight i'm watching an old favourite: History of the world Part I - Mel Brooks at his best!! :)

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2011 22:22:00 GMT
Spin says:
Stew: If you think "Taken" is a "great" film (God help you), I suggest you delve back into 60s and 70s movies.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2011 12:14:43 GMT
Trigger says:
Shut up you pretentious moron; Taken is a perfectly enjoyable switch-your-brain-off action film.

You could have taken your own advice and watched a film from the '60s or '70s rather than "crap".

Posted on 5 Dec 2011 12:43:03 GMT
He's right though; literally every movie of the 60s and 70s is better than Taken. It can't hold a candle to Michael Caine's imperious Killer Bees

Posted on 5 Dec 2011 13:02:39 GMT
RAB says:
If Spin doesn't think anything's worth watching let him get on, while the rest of us enjoy what's on offer.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2011 13:03:46 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Dec 2011 13:04:27 GMT
i enjoyed Taken too .. its wasnt amazing ..Maggie whats her name preformance was laughable and Liam neesons jack bauer impression wasnt fully believable but was an enjoyable film

And anyway its hundreds of times better than whatI had to watch last night bloody X Factor !

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2011 13:10:09 GMT
I feel your pain Bauer, at least there's not much left of it to go.

Posted on 5 Dec 2011 13:11:32 GMT
I wouldnt mind Andy but even she is hating it this year and moaned they are doing another year !! .. but i bet we watch it still ; )

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2011 13:19:07 GMT
My other half is the smae mate. The only consoling factor is that she Tivo's it then fast forwards all the filler carp and just watches the singing and judges comments, cuts the whole show down to about 20 minutes.

Posted on 5 Dec 2011 13:29:31 GMT
yeah as does mine, sadly we disagree on what is filler crap, I would argue anything with Gary Barlow, Dermot o Leary and Robbie "big headed to55er" williams talking or even on the screen is filler (utter) crap and should be fast forwarded!

Posted on 5 Dec 2011 14:45:38 GMT
I'm lucky as my mrs hates x-factor. Makes me watch strictly come dancing instead......hang on a minute scratch what insaid about being lucky lol.

Did get to stick a film on last night after the strictly results show. Watched the omen on blu ray (original not remake). Love me a good horror film and I've always been a fan of the omen. Picked up the blu ray trilogy for £15 in HMV which I thought was a bargain. Nice picture quality and a massive leap up from the DVD however the quality is no where near what blu ray can offer. The print was aparantly hard to clean up according to one Internet review site I found. Hopefully watch the omen II tonight.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2011 18:14:45 GMT
Spin says:
Trigger: Ok. You like to switch your brain off. I apologise for presuming a fondness for any film required a conscious act of reasoning..=)

Posted on 6 Dec 2011 18:29:29 GMT
Blastronaut says:
Stumbled across a horror spoof last night (I say stumbled, didn't mean to watch it, honest!) called something like 'Blood Bath In The House Of Death' - starring, of all people, Kenny Everret! Can't remember the channel tho; could've been Horror, or Movies For Men, or some such.
A couple of genuinely funny gags, but mostly predictable and a bit of a yawn.
The superbly camp Vincent Price does manage to slightly redeem it tho, whenever he put in an appearance.

Anyhows, it was all done in 'the best POSSIBLE taste!!!' : )

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2011 18:35:28 GMT
RAB says:
But why is deep, meaningful contemplation a requirement instead? Can we not merely be entertained?

I enjoyed Taken, wouldn't call it a great film though.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2011 18:53:00 GMT
Spin says:
RAB; I am not saying that "deep meaningful thought" is a requirement. But surely one can argue the case for a film one enjoyed but others think is terrible? "Switching off the brain" is a requirement applied to most sectors of US society, not only Hollywood and that has, like McDonalds and mobile phones, infiltrated the entertainment-loving public of Europe. =) Movies are now to be paid for and consumed, not appreciated.

Posted on 6 Dec 2011 18:57:16 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Dec 2011 18:59:15 GMT
Post Soviet says:
Loved 'Taken'.
Yesterday, Time Slip [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC], amazing 1979 Japanese well... something betyween A scifi and B thrash. Squad of Jap army(one tank, couple jeeps with machine guns, combat helicopter) somehow get in feudal Japan and get involved in local wars with hordes of samurais. One battle scene lasted for 25 min.
Very very macho flick. It's warning!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2011 19:02:12 GMT
RAB says:
"RAB; I am not saying that "deep meaningful thought" is a requirement"
Nor was Triggerhuggy trying to say that "switch-your-brain-off" is a requirement.

"Switching off the brain" is a requirement applied to most sectors of US society, not only Hollywood and that has, like McDonalds and mobile phones, infiltrated the entertainment-loving public of Europe. =) "

Plain English please Spin. Triggerhuggy explained the appeal in Taken being the mindless entertainment of the film (to paraphrase). Does that mean that people who enjoy those sorts of films are more discerning at other times? Of course not.

"Movies are now to be paid for and consumed, not appreciated."

Typical Spin statement trying to sweepingly generalise the poor state of repair civilisation is at the moment. Yes, I pay to watch films. That money is needed to make the films is it not? Now, once I've paid to watch that film, I do want to appreciate it, I want to find as many reasons as I can that it was a good decision to part with my hard(ly)-earned. I am quite disappointed when those reasons are lacking, and it does happen from time to time. However, the above paragraph to be honest is likely to be irrelevant because I haven't the foggiest clue what point you're trying to make, I'd love to know if you do either.

Posted on 6 Dec 2011 19:07:16 GMT
i watched episodes 9,10 and 11 of 24 season 7 followed by Zombieland

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2011 19:15:08 GMT
Spin says:
Rab: Explain the term "Mindless entertainment" please. Is it entertainment for the mindless? Entertainment produced without any mind to it? Entertainment that does not require or appeal to a mind? I do not understand that term...Surely "mindless entertainment" would be white noise on a screen...?

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2011 19:21:10 GMT
RAB says:
No, mindless entertainment just means you can sit back and absorb it, no need to work out what the director is trying to say, just be entertained.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2011 19:25:18 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Dec 2011 19:26:04 GMT
Spin says:
RAB: Even a simple entertaining film appeals. If it appeals there is a rason it appeals. If there is a reason it appeals, it is not "mindless". The term "mindless" when applied to entertainment is a reflection of the term "mindless violence". An issue that I think can be brought up on another thread. EDIT: PS: there is no such thing as "mindless comedy" is there?

Posted on 6 Dec 2011 19:27:11 GMT
bk says:
Toy Story 2 on Bluray :)

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2011 19:27:35 GMT
RAB says:
It's probably closely related to a cheap laugh.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2011 20:17:26 GMT
Spin says:
RAB: Yeah, I laugh my arse of seeing a zombie get its head blown off by a teenager with a pistol, while his girlfreind is being raped by a chainsaw fetishist, with a mother fixation, and tendencies towards necrophilia.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  action discussion forum
Participants:  245
Total posts:  7025
Initial post:  28 Nov 2011
Latest post:  8 minutes ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions