Customer Discussions > action discussion forum

Worse sequel, prequel, remake, reboot, spin-off.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 78 posts in this discussion
Posted on 6 May 2012 13:42:24 BDT
Avatouir says:
Disagree a little with Pop about the Butterfly effect sequels. 2 was better in that it didn't have some stupid cop out ending spoiling the entire film. Not great though

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2012 13:52:15 BDT
Steve, which ending did you see, cus apparently theres a few...

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2012 18:14:32 BDT
Bourne1886 says:
I don't think Alien 3 is a bad film per SE. As a stand alone film it is well made etc, but as a sequel after Aliens I felt disappointed on so many levels.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2012 19:30:53 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 May 2012 19:38:32 BDT
Blastronaut says:
Ok Bourne, reckon I see where yer coming from. With Aliens, the third film had a really hard act to follow; for my money the second film is one of the all-time greats, replacing the jump-out-of-yer-skin tension of the first film with loadsa gung-ho blasting.
That's not to say I don't rate the first film, in fact I'd be hard pushed to pick between the two.
For what it's worth, both 1 & 2 would make my all-time top 20 films regardless of genre.
I realise this'll make me look a big girl's blouse but I found the ending of Alien3 - Ripley going down into the molten lead stuff - quite moving.
Like I said before, a perfect way to end the series, but they just couldn't leave it at that could they?

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2012 19:47:47 BDT
Garscadden says:
I like all four of the Alien films - they are just very very different films.

Posted on 6 May 2012 19:49:31 BDT
Yep, I'm a massive Alien fan, I even like vs predator aswell ---- My bad?

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2012 19:55:51 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 May 2012 19:57:00 BDT
Bourne1886 says:
No they couldn't.Four is definitely the worst. But its not bad,just not as good as the 1st three. I enjoyed the 2nd cut of Alien 3. The extra footage gave it an extra lease of life. The BR box set is great. Let's hope Prometheus kicks butt!

In reply to an earlier post on 7 May 2012 00:28:45 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 May 2012 01:08:26 BDT
West25 says:
The theatrical version of Alien 3 which sadly is the one most people have seen was an abomination, the assembly cut which is supposed to be much closer to the version David Fincher wanted is a far superior film. I hated the ending when she falls into molten lead and the alien bursts out, it ruined the fact she was willingly sacrificing herself. In the theatrical cut, the alien bursting out means that she was about to die anyway, completely taking away her heroism and self sacrifice. The assembly cut is a far deeper film with a much more poignant ending, it also fills in gaps like how the alien gets out after they seal it in behind those huge doors, it goes unexplained in the theatrical version and therefore makes no sense. It's nowhere near as good as the first two Alien films, but at least the assembly cut makes it much closer. Alien Resurrection is by far the worst, it's a mile away from the quality of the third, never mind the first two. It's not a bad film though, and I have to admit to having a soft spot for it and watch it about once a year. The two Alien vs Predator films were a huge let down, far, far too much time was spent on the human characters and they watered down the violence and bloodshed of the Alien and Predator films. Hugely looking forward to Prometheus though.

Posted on 7 May 2012 01:42:44 BDT
whoever put in beverly hills cop 2 and robocop 2 is mad. they're both really good. any of the star wars prequels belong there to be honest. death race is abysmal. the original is far superior. don't like all he different cuts of blade runner either. every time i watch it, it gets ever more confusing. the departed was also terrible. infernal affairs was much much better. anything after alien 3 was rubbish. others to avoid have to be road trip 2, get carter, crank 2, battle royale 2. also you can add every single god father movie. they;re all awful.

Posted on 7 May 2012 08:33:31 BDT
Godfather parts I and II are classics!
Beverly Hills Cop II is not a patch on the original and don't get me started on Robocop 2!
Both sequels were cash-ins on the brilliant originals and are terrible!!!

Posted on 7 May 2012 08:33:55 BDT
Godfather parts I and II are classics!
Beverly Hills Cop II is not a patch on the original and don't get me started on Robocop 2!
Both sequels were cash-ins on the brilliant originals and are terrible!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 7 May 2012 15:13:13 BDT
Avatouir says:
@Pop I saw the cop out ending. I have heard of a better endings but only seen the rubbish one.
Incidently I'm going to sound controversial here but I'm gonna add Hunger Games to the list. Everyone below a certain age will hate me I know but IMHO Hunger Games is a vastly overhyped and overrated even if admitidly semi decent film

In reply to an earlier post on 7 May 2012 16:19:52 BDT
Cop out ending? I saw the one where he went back and told that girl he hated her and wanted to kill her and her family, she then chose to live with her mother instead of her father as she only chose her father initially to be with Ashtons character. Quite a good way to finish as the romance is never fulfilled between them - the best way for romance to end in a film. Good stuff, was that the one you saw lol?
I havent seen hunger games so cant comment.

Posted on 7 May 2012 16:24:22 BDT
Avatouir says:
That was the one. But I would've chosen a darker ending for example he went crazy or something

In reply to an earlier post on 7 May 2012 16:29:59 BDT
Lol fair enough, I thought it was a nice way to end it, maybe I'm a softie lol

Posted on 7 May 2012 21:59:24 BDT
Avatouir says:
I think if it was abou 40 ,is shorter and better paced it'd be better but for me too much warm up to very little action. If I'd not seen Battle Royale I'd probably be a bit more wared to it. I also found I cared little for the lead character

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2012 10:39:53 BDT
Battle Royale was a canny one like. The condemned was a worse version of that very film. Loved Battle Royale though, mad killer kids on an island.
There was a horror on the telly other week, about these kids who went all derranged and started killing their folks in this big house in middle of forest, might be called the cildren actually. Not a great one to watch if you have youngs kids.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2012 13:42:52 BDT
Barry Wom says:
I have to agree with Godfather 3 - its an absolute mess. Mind you I think Copolla always been a bit overated perhaps with the exception of Apocalyse Now. The first two films had the advantage some excellent casting and some good turns even if the plot was really just a composite of the Lucky Luciano and Genovese stories.

Posted on 10 May 2012 12:49:25 BDT
Rabies says:
Can't believe nobody's mentioned the spin off of "Dead or Alive" which had a couple of admittedly redeeming features (T'n'A) but aside from that was f'in awful! Also, Matrix reloaded/revolutions - It was just unnecessary!

Posted on 10 May 2012 13:19:52 BDT
I kinda liked the first Godfather (although it is a little overrated) but the second was merciless garbage, it seemed to go on for about 20 hours and then I turned it off cos it was only halfway. Multitudes more talking than Death Proof and a fraction of the interest (wether drama, action or anything) I could not find a single redeeming characteristic of that film and shall never bother to try.

The Godfather Part II is up there with Citizen Kane, Orson Welles himself, Communism and Half-Life 2 in terms of being some of the most massively overrated things of the last 60-70 years...

P.s. sorry about the rant-iness, some things just annoy me :P

Posted on 10 May 2012 15:16:52 BDT
Wayne says:
Godfather II is a masterpiece of acting and filming in my opinion but hey, we can't all have the same taste :)

Posted on 10 May 2012 15:31:19 BDT
Yeah I do wish I could see it the same way that it's fans do simply because I love films but alas, twas not to be...

Posted on 10 May 2012 20:12:32 BDT
Avatouir says:
Why Will? Peter Griffin hates it too (re:The "Panic room episode of family Guy). I though Godfather 2 was ok but not on my watch lots of times list. I did like Citizen Kane but that was when I was 15 not seen it since so maybe didn't rate it that much lol. But yeah rant away

Posted on 11 May 2012 11:48:01 BDT
Hasn't been released yet, but I'm so against them remaking Total Recall. I loved original and used to watch it all the time when I was younger. I just hope they don't make a complete mess of it.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 May 2012 12:17:12 BDT
It's not a remake as such Mark, it's going to be based on Philip. K Dick's Short story: "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale"
The original was loosely based on the same story, so hopefully it should be a decent film.
Loved the original story, massive Sci-fi fan. ;)
Your reply to Stew, Chocobo_Sage (PSN: sas1983red)'s post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the action discussion forum (453 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  action discussion forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  78
Initial post:  3 May 2012
Latest post:  7 Jun 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions