Customer Discussions > Cotillion forum

Who else regards this as the best Heyer novel?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Oct 2007 00:36:54 BDT
I don't want to give any spoilers, so I'll be careful of what I say, but I love Freddy. He is so nice without realising it and extremely funny. I enjoy the conversation with his father, and how his father's view of him changes. His friendship with Kitty, repartee with Jack and fraternal relationship with Meg are a delight. What do others think?

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jun 2008 13:02:13 BDT
Helen Hancox says:
Well I think Frederica is my favourite Heyer novel but Cotillion is probably in second place. Along with quite a few others...

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jun 2008 02:33:57 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Jun 2008 01:41:00 BDT
Yes, I like Frederica too. It was the first GH novel I read this time around and found it a good re-introduction to her Regency romances. Although Alverstoke is attractive I love Freddy's kindness and (SPOILER ALERT) the way he rescues Kitty from the masquerade and his dealings with Miss Broughty towards the end of the book. I wonder how old he was meant to be...early twenties I would think, otherwise it would make Meg too old for coming out/getting married etc.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jun 2008 14:52:31 BDT
Stella says:
Georgette Heyer is my favourite writer and I've read all her books several times over, but "Cotillion" is the one I best like rereading. It's such a pleasant, amusing book, and a perfect foil for low spirits. If you really want to hoot with laughter, though, I recommend Heyer's "Black Sheep", which has the most hilarious dialogue I've ever come across.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jun 2008 20:02:07 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Jul 2008 02:32:11 BDT
I agree about the conversations in Black Sheep! So many of GH books are excellent. I would say that she is my farourite writer too.

Posted on 20 Oct 2009 15:20:09 BDT
Kay Sanders says:
Cotillion is definitely in my top ten Georgette Heyers, but where are These Old Shades, Devil's Cub & The Masqueraders? I still laugh out loud when I read the breakfast scene in France after Leonie's abduction in These Old Shades. I could never decide whether I would prefer to be Mary Challoner or Prudence, but Sir Anthony Fanshawe is still the hero I'd most like to meet.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Feb 2010 18:02:58 GMT
Hi Kay,

I'm sorry I hadn't checked this discussion for a while and have only just seen your post! These Old Shades was one of my favourite for the romance and humour, although I was less keen on the revenge aspect of it. I didn't get into the other two books you mention as much, but all Georgette Heyer's writing seems so good, and like you I've laughed out loud many times. I liked Sir Anthony too, but for heroes I would go for Lord Worth from Regency Buck. I'd like to meet Freddy from Cotillion, as he was a nicy guy but not my type romantically.

Posted on 14 Oct 2010 20:26:28 BDT
Avid Reader says:
I would find it difficult to pick a favourite Heyer as I like most of them and like other readers have read each one several times. The only one I didn't care for so much was the Great Roxhythe which was the book she did not want reprinting. I managed to get hold of it from America, and I must admit the excitement of finally tracking it down far outweighed the pleasure of reading the book.

Posted on 6 Nov 2010 04:49:55 GMT
I've not read that one Avid Reader, but thanks for your opinion of it. I've read all her Regency novels except for "The Spanish Bride" because I didn't think I could cope with the war scenes; I found An Infamous Army difficult for the same reason. The rest I loved though.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2012 15:30:29 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 21 Apr 2012 21:30:21 BDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cotillion forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  20 Oct 2007
Latest post:  9 Apr 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Cotillion (Harper Monogram Regency)
Cotillion (Harper Monogram Regency) by Georgette Heyer (Paperback - 9 Sept. 1999)
4.6 out of 5 stars (78)