why on earth would someone want to get rid of their accent?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Nov 2009 14:04:24 GMT
Scott495 says:
Im from UK but dont have BBC English accent.....errr so what?

Should be named...speak steriotypical English language!

any books on how to get rid of the English accent?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Apr 2010 17:13:08 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Apr 2010 17:33:25 BDT
Obviously people who want to be newscasters or play in theatre might use such a book for their jobs, but I think it's very valuable to non-natives as well to get to grips with this peculiar language.

Posted on 13 May 2010 21:16:38 BDT
Avelin says:
Some accents just doesn't sound very nice so I don't find it strange that many want to get rid of their accents.
I have a Danish accent, which is possibly one of the ugliest accents when speaking English, so I am going to make an effort to get rid of it.

I also think that some of the regional accents in the UK might give a bad impression in certain jobs, speaking with something similar to received pronunciation will just sound more professional.

Posted on 3 Aug 2010 10:23:20 BDT
R. J. Worth says:
I am a trainer and while I have few problems in the U.K with my (West London) accent I do have problems with English speakers from Europe understanding me. This is the reason I want to change or at least reduce the effect of my accent and speech patterns.

Posted on 6 Feb 2011 00:58:11 GMT
D. Onidi says:
My wife is Russian, she has a fantastic command of English usage, and a very good vocabulary to boot - however, her heavy accent means that often she incorrectly pronounces vowels and this makes the words difficult to understand when first heard by a native speaker. I think a book like this would help her, and others like her to improve their English. It's not about being 'snobbish' rather about communicating more easily.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  12 Nov 2009
Latest post:  6 Feb 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Get Rid of Your Accent: The English Pronunciation and Speech Training Manual
Get Rid of Your Accent: The English Pronunciation and Speech Training Manual by Linda James (Paperback - 19 July 2006)
3.9 out of 5 stars   (44)