Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Sep 2007 15:53:53 BDT
well the hogfather was very very good particularly susan so what do you think should be next personally i'd like thief of time though cant think of anyone to play lu tse

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Sep 2007 21:48:48 BDT
Malkmus fan says:
Thief of Time would be too confusing for the non die hard DW fan. Of all the books I think the one that lends itself best to being made into a film is Monstrous Regiment.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Sep 2007 23:59:00 BDT
Su says:
how about ben kingsley for the sweeper

who would you try for sam vimes or nobby?

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Sep 2007 16:16:50 BDT
A. P. Conway says:
i'd love to see the watch books on screen, with robert lyndsay as vimes. he'd be awesome. they have such a cinematic feel to them, just classic crime thrillers in the discworld universe, and the action/fight scenes would be really good fun.

it would be nice to see a hogfather sequel, but i agree with malkmus that it would be too confusing for people who don't read discworld much, or at all.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Sep 2007 14:24:47 BDT
i thought that thief would be a great place for new pratchett readers to start i thought it was a very easy book to get into

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Sep 2007 10:30:50 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 Sep 2007 10:31:46 BDT
Although I love the discworld series of books, I have found the attempts to put them to film (be it the hogfarther or the animated) missing something, yes they tell the story, but they lack the humour, maybe its the way that his highly discriptive writting style works that conjours up imagies in our minds, backed up by his footnotes, that simply prove extreamly difficulot to translate to film.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Sep 2007 01:45:58 BDT
N. Caplin says:
I agree that the discworld books don't work well on screen (i personally couldn't stand the Hogfather adaptation), however if any of the Watch books were to be put to film Pete Postlethwaite would make a great Vimes.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Sep 2007 13:27:32 BDT
Agreed. Half the humour in the books is in the footnotes and the descriptive writing. Films can't put this over. Oddly enough Monstrous Regiment probably would transfer to film very well - for the reasons that make it one of his less sucessful productions.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2007 07:12:48 BDT
A. Wright says:
We already know what the next films are going to be. The Colour of magic is in production with David Jason as Rincewind, and The Wee Free Men is in production with Sam Raimi directing.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2007 12:36:27 BDT
A. Bradshaw says:
I think Guards Guards would work, I'm not sure Colour of Magic would as I think its lacking compared to the Light Fantastic, however I suppose you could say its the Fellowship of the Ring compared to the Two Towers and Return of the King.

Also a cinematic version of Mort and Wyrd Sisters would probably work, but more in a TV production compared to a big screen.

Is just my gut feeling anyway

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2007 12:14:00 BDT
Kathryn says:
I'd have David Jason as Vimes, Peter Kay as Nobby (he would be comic genius) and how about Alan Rickman as Lord vetinari (I'm thinking of his performance as the Sheriff of Nottingham and Snape in Harry Potter)

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2007 15:52:47 BDT
Su says:
The problem with David Jason as Vimes is the inevitable comparison between Frost and Vimes (even though they're nothing alike the critics wouldn't be able to help themselves).

I think the idea of Alan Rickman as Vetinari is inspired. Imagine if Peter Jackson came in as the director of say the witches or the watch stories. If he did with the Pratchett stories what he did with Lord of the Rings - wow. Of course that would also depend on backers stumping up the money and giving him the freedom to do his magic

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2007 20:34:50 BDT
Headology says:
I'd like to see a film made of Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg - i know there has been a cartoon of the witches but it would be great to see a Hogfather film equivalent for them.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2007 09:37:28 BDT
Al Dixon says:
I really dislike David Jason, and as Albert Malich he came near to ruining 'Hogfather' for me, although the other characters managed to put in good enough performances (some excellent performances actually) to make it worth watching. The ideal Albert would have been Walter Sparrow - but Death caught up with him a few years ago, which was a pity; he was a fine actor (unlike David Jason).

I think I must agree with Mr Ross J Burton - The Discworld is a difficult proposition when it comes to translating to film. Possibly it's because it is perceived as 'humourous' - the animation version of 'Weird Sisters' definitely suffered because the director thought the characters should be funny; perhaps he should have had a word with Esmeralda Weatherwax beforehand, she would have put him right. the Discworld is only amusing from the outside, to the inhabitants themselves life is a serious business, and any actor trying to portray them should definitely 'play it straight'.

Peter Kay is good in everything I've seen him do, but I would say he's more of a Colon than a Nobby. Alan Rickman would be an excellent Vetinari, and yes - inspired - Pete Postlethwaite is perfect as Mr Vimes!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2007 19:29:22 BDT
B. Humphreys says:
To play Lu tse i'd think Ken Hom, the chef - he was on tv the other night and Lu Tse sprang to mind

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2007 10:44:56 BDT
I have to agree that I cannot really see a way to translate the descriptive text of the Discworld books onto the silver screen, narrative would go some way towards it but has the ever present danger of overshadowing the story.

And Hugh Laurie for Vimes, the character of House strikes me as almost identical to that of Vimes, and he has impeccable comedic timing.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2007 20:01:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Sep 2007 20:01:36 BDT
B. Humphreys says:
Really? I'd have thought Hugh Laurie as Rincewind! I'm not sure who i'd cast as Vimes...

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Sep 2007 18:21:32 BDT
Ds Martin says:
The problem with transferring anything from book to screen is that sometimes you lose a lot of the story to fit it into a given timeslot. Hogfather definately suffered from this, and I ended up having to explain most of the story to my wife who was watching it with me. But if they are going to end up on Sky then we may as well try to end up with the best cast possible. I totally agree with the idea of Robert Lyndsay as miserable old Sam Vimes, and Alan Rickman as Vetinari. But who would best play Nobby Nobbs - the man barely part of the human race?

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2007 08:13:21 BDT
Mrs says:
David Jason as Rincewind?? Are you mad?? It's got to be Nigel Planer who did such a good job in Hogfather and, lets face it, the character could have been Rincewind!

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2007 23:57:25 BDT
Esme says:
Judi Dench as granny, Dawn French as Nanny Ogg, Keira Knightly as Magrat. Alan Rckman IS Vetinari, CGI version of Nobby or Paul Kaye, the bigger bloke from Pascoe and Dalziel as Sarge Colon. Need to think about Vimes!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Sep 2007 12:16:17 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 Sep 2007 12:17:57 BDT
marky77 says:
ID LOVE DAWN FRECH AS NANNY OGG!!!!! :) :):):):):):):)

Would team her with Jennifer Saunders as Granny Weatherwax and Catherine Tate as Magrat

Id pay millions to see that movie lol.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Sep 2007 13:25:53 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 Sep 2007 13:29:18 BDT
no no there can only be one person for magrat and it has to be Jane Horrocks,like the idea of Judi Dench though

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Oct 2007 20:08:54 BDT
What???!!! No way. Maggie Smith for Granny Weatherwax, That little woman who played prof sprout in Harry Potter for Nanny Ogg and that droopy Alice off Vicar of Dibley for Magrat! Come on people!
Btw - Pete Postlethwaite is perfect for Vimes and the Vimes illustration in Where's my cow? is practically a caricature of him (although I can't help thinking Harrison Ford would be a fab Stoneface). Vetinari - in the realms of fantasy maybe - (no pun intended) but I reckon Jeremy Irons would be cool.
David Jason is way too old for Rincewind. Paul Kaye would be better.
Gotta say though - first time I've read any of these discussion thingies and it's riveting!
Peter Kay as Colon could work.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Oct 2007 21:49:51 BDT
Su says:
I like the idea of Warren Clarke (Andy Dalziel in Dalziel and Pascoe) as Colon.

As for Vimes - are we looking at the original Vimes, shortish or the newer taller Clint Eastwood type of Vimes?

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Oct 2007 02:01:23 BDT
Esme says:
Falk (Peter? ) Colombo as Vimes. Would have to be speeded up though. Or Vinnie Jones? Would like to see Soul Music with Michael J Fox in Back to the Future mode.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  25
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  3 Sep 2007
Latest post:  9 Jan 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Making Money (Discworld Novels)
Making Money (Discworld Novels) by Terry Pratchett (Hardcover - Oct 2007)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (161)