dan brown, need suggestions please

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-46 of 46 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 13 Sep 2009 09:34:03 BDT
I Readalot says:
Robert Butterworth - The other 3 books were actually written before Da Vinci Code but no-one had heard of any of them until all the hype.

As to the original question The Eight by Katherine Neville, a mystery/puzzle/clues novel set in two time periods (French Revolution/'present day'). It revolves around a chess set that once belonged to Charlemagne and it was created in Bagdad. It involves Islam and oil. Oh yes! and it was first published in the 1980's, and was no doubt an inspiration for books like Da Vinci Code and Labyrinth.

Posted on 14 Sep 2009 15:38:49 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 Sep 2009 15:52:02 BDT
Damaskcat says:
I've read The Eight and would thoroughly recommend it.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Sep 2009 16:50:52 BDT
M. Sumner says:
Before making such fatuous comments Mr Butterworth you should have checked the publishing chronology of Dan Brown's work. The Da Vinci Code was published in 2003, some five years after his first book, Digital Fortress, was published. Then came Deception Point and his third book was Angels and Demons.
The Da Vinci Code is now credited with being one of the most popular books of all time with 81 million copies sold worldwide as of 2009. But then you would know that. In order to have such a base opinion of Brown's work you must have read some of it - that no brainer whilst you were on holiday perhaps.
Meanwhile I am expecting my copy of The Lost Symbol to be delivered tomorrow. I look forward to another great read.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Sep 2009 12:52:01 BDT
If you are not going to give a proper, helpful, post then don't bother to write at all!! You don't like his books then fine. But don't come on a forum of people that do and write garbage!!

Posted on 15 Sep 2009 23:55:44 BDT
Grr says:
Shadow of the Wind - an actually intelligent mystery with a proper writer at its helm. You'll love it.

Posted on 16 Sep 2009 15:58:46 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 16 Sep 2009 15:59:24 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Sep 2009 09:31:47 BDT
I Readalot says:
Damaskcat - Have you read The Fire, the sequel published last year. It has had mixed reviews but I really enjoyed it, old friends (Lily now driving a Vanquish) and new characters.

Posted on 17 Sep 2009 09:39:34 BDT
I Readalot says:
M Sumner, yes the other 3 were published first but had you or anyone heard of them prior to 2003? Would anyone have heard of them if it hadn't been for Da Vinci and the surrounding conspiracy theories that far too many people believed. And yes I have read them, Da Vinci in 2003 followed by the others shortly afterwards before they became household names.

Posted on 17 Sep 2009 13:33:39 BDT
Meredith says:
James Rollins is a good author similar to Steve Berry. A bit more fast paced then Brown. There is a collection called the Sigma series but his individual adventures are also very good. If you were to start with the sigma series I would start at Map of Bones, there are 6 sigma books.

Posted on 18 Sep 2009 13:50:11 BDT
Thiswaycomes says:
Can totally agree with Chris Kuzneski (the first two are great!) but must say if you like this genre than you can go no better (and he has been mentioned) than STEVE BERRY. Terrfic plots, good characters, well thought out story lines giving you the info you need to know in an unobtrusive way (without it feeling like an "info-dump")
Absolutely love him - if Brown is considered the best in this genre, I think Berry should demand a recount!!!

Posted on 19 Sep 2009 09:43:34 BDT
Damaskcat says:
I Readalot - no I haven't read the sequel I'll look out for it - thanks for mentioning it

Posted on 13 Oct 2009 12:50:35 BDT
L. Gray says:
The problem with Dan Brown (and others inc Barbara taylor Bradford) is that whilst they are pacy novels you get a sense of deja vu if you read more than one of their books as the plots are so very similar. (If not basically the same just with different people and locations)
Personally I agree that Chris K is very good as is Sam Bourne. Personally I'd rate him a lot higher than Dan Brown.

Posted on 15 Oct 2009 09:14:56 BDT
Atlantis by David Gibbins, a great book!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Oct 2009 10:05:10 BDT
Trallong says:
My kind of books.!

Posted on 20 Oct 2009 16:28:00 BDT
Red says:
If you like fast paced thrillers set in the present, try any of the Soft Target series by Conrad Jones, they are electric page turners, and full of truth mixed in with the fiction. There are six in the series so far, a trilogy and three stand alone novels, try Blister (Soft Target Series).

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Oct 2009 17:31:34 GMT
Not sure if its already been suggested but every now and then I have a look for these types of books and came across a gem that was just the start of a huge series that I never knew about. Try the hunt for Atlantis by Andy Mcdermott its probably one of the best books I have read up there with Angels and Demons. There are now 5 sequel books yes 5 books after this with the same lead characters so if you like The hunt for Atlantis you will have a lot of enjoyment to come. Another series is the Matthew Reilly Jack West Jnr series starting with the Seven Ancient Wonders. I dont personally feel his wriritng is as good as Andy Mcdermott but I am being very picky and still recommend them, there are currently 3 in the whole series at present (the 3rd is just being released). Both series are page turners and action packed, neither scared to kill of main characters except of course the heroes, after all what is an adventure without a charmed life hero or heroine in after all !!!

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Nov 2009 23:00:02 GMT
B. Wilkinson says:
Agree - can definitely recommend Matthew Reilly. Far better author than Dan Brown !!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2010 22:51:05 GMT
The Credit Crunch Conspiracy by Dominic Varadi is also a great page-turner. It is a kind of British, down to earth Da Vinci Code and I really enjoyed it, although as with most thrillers the reviews are mixed. I'm reading the final reckoning' now.

Posted on 26 Dec 2010 16:06:53 GMT
Last Passage says:
May I suggest you take a look at Codex by Adrian Dawson. Its available on Kindle, or as a paperback original:

Kindle: Codex, Paperback: CODEX

Codex was written in 1999, and Adrian was immediately signed to the Christopher Little Literary Agency....publishers however thought that people interested in the subject matter of Codex, would turn to the non-fiction of Baigent and Leigh, and Codex failed to find a publisher....then three years later along came Dan Brown...

Here's what the latest reviewer said of Codex on Ransom Note:

Codex - Adrian Dawson (Published by Last Passage)
This action packed techno-thriller should appeal to a wide audience, its gripping and twisting story captivating the reader from the first page. Terrorism, monks and chess all feature heavily in this intelligent and crisp page-turner. The parallels with a certain Dan Brown are there for all to see but the differences are telling and really this book shouldn't be mistaken as being a mere suspense-romp full of cliff hangers. Although cliffhangers drive this book along, the author Adrian Dawson is an accomplished author and one reads the book not only to find out how the story ends, but also to enjoy how the story is told and written. Where the Da Vinci Code looks cheap, Codex looks clean and stylish, where the editorial work in the former was shoddy to say the least, the latter seems pristine, and where Mr Brown's characters are superficial and often unbelievable, Mr Dawson's are well developed and believable. If you are looking for an exciting, exhilarating and engaging book for some sofa surfing over the Christmas period, this book ticks all the right boxes.

And here's the review from thebookbag.co.uk:

When I read the resume on the back cover I immediately thought that it was going to be one of those high-octane, action every second paragraph, type of thrillers. All action and perhaps very little substance. I was happily proved wrong. And very early on in the novel, as well, which was good.

Straight away, Dawson with his opening chapter gives us the sweeping statement The chess board is the world ... like life itself is governed by a set of rules ... Very appropriate, as the main character, Jack Bernstein is a dab hand at chess. Although he lives a very comfortable - some may say, enviable life in the US, he is not unfamiliar with personal tragedy. For example, he hasn't seen his only daughter Lara, for several years. He could probably tell us exactly to the very hour. In short, he's a broken man. Work keeps him busy. He's involved in computers in a glossy, corporate fashion. And he has a creative plan to become even bigger.

Suddenly, there's good news for workaholic Jack. Or so it seems. Lara is on her way home from, well, from God-knows-where. Jack doesn't know it yet, but she won't make it. If I say just two simple words - plane and terrorism, I'm sure you'll get the picture. And Dawson's smart but also poetic narrative sets the scene. It doesn't really waver. It is a constantly gripping read. As we take the final flight with Lara, I found it a moving and chilling piece of narrative. I was hooked. We are made all too aware of Lara's inner turmoil. But we are not told all of the details. I was impressed and I wasn't expecting to be impressed, especially not this early on in the novel.

Then everything starts to move at quite a pace. Jack is suddenly, somehow, caught up in a complex and intricate game of cat-and-mouse. Jack thinks he's the clever one. We meet a varied bunch of characters in this meaty story. Intelligent, ruthless individuals with their own particular end-game in mind. Secretive projects in secretive locations. But why? And to what end? There is a strong biblical element to the story and yes, I was reminded at times of The Da Vinci Code. (I haven't read the book but I've seen the film).

Various chapters are given over to a clutch of key characters as the plot deepens. We travel to various parts of the world also. Perhaps a little fanciful in places, but it is a thriller after all. Dawson's flair for creating strong characters shines. Even some of the names (particularly one) are creative and a master stroke (you'll find out why right at the end).

Everything you'd expect in a good thriller is here - and more. The FBI, secret sites, potential bomb scenarios and the like. This is an internationally-flavoured thriller with a compelling plot. It brushes up against real life several times to make your heart chill. To make you think. A treat for lovers of the thriller genre. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and look forward to Dawson's next one.

Codex is currently the #1 bestselling full length thriller on the UK iBookstore of 2010 - and with the parallels that are being drawn between Adrian Dawson and Dan Brown we'd be interested to know what Dan Brown fans think...

Last Passage Publishing

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jun 2012 23:21:34 BDT
In a moment of shameful self- promotion I will point out my own novel `Fresco' was picked up by a couple of publishers because of comparisons with Dan Brown. It is a thriller based around the mysteries of a medieval fresco that leaves sadistic murder and mayhem in its wake.

Fresco

It was only uploaded to Kindle today and with the paperback out before the end of the week you may be the first to read it.

If you don't like the first free chapters then good luck with your search elsewhere Je

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Nov 2012 20:33:28 GMT
Agree on THE ALEXANDER CIPHER...
You might also take a look at CODEX 632 and an older work, Wilton Barnhardt's GOSPEL...the short "Gospel" that begins the work is almost unreadable, but it's a fun novel.
Also take a look at THE SIXTEEN PLEASURES, THE CLUB DUMAS, THE FLANDERS PANEL and the Iain Pears novels with Jonathan Argyle, an art historian sleuth: Nick and Nora with a Ph.D.--cozies with a brain (ex: THE IMMACULATE DECEPTION)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  41
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  5 May 2009
Latest post:  7 Nov 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Lost Symbol
The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown (Paperback - 22 July 2010)
3.5 out of 5 stars   (1,461)