Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

customers care: box copies are region locked!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Aug 2011 11:01:09 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Aug 2011 11:03:22 BDT
J. Köhler says:
Looks like globalization is for companies only.

Rockpapershotgun brought up the news today, that steam codes in UK and Russian box copies are region locked to their base country. So if you are from outside the UK you need either some fishy VPN to activate the game on Steam, or you get a worthless product.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/17/deus-ex-human-revolution-is-region-locked/

Good job Square Enix. Preorder canceled, will not buy until some sale. Thank you for saving my money.

Posted on 17 Aug 2011 11:06:37 BDT
I really, really hope that story turns out to be inaccurate. This is just insane, and Amz, along with other retailers, are at fault for not being clear about this.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2011 11:47:14 BDT
P. Steiner says:
Unfortunately, it seems to be true :(
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=119397

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2011 13:13:14 BDT
M. Aziz says:
That should not be a problem if you are buying and activating the game in the UK - and it only applies to retail editions, so I can't see the reason for the worry.

In fact, I think this is fair as well - having steam codes on ebay from russia selling for much cheaper than they are sold here is not fair.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2011 13:39:21 BDT
P. Steiner says:
the problem is, many people from all over the EU order from http://amazon.co.uk, and i know several other people who ordered the augmented edition (some as early as 2010). Now, this region lock thing came up in the last minute (today, a week before release).

Also, i don't see a good reason to pay 55€ (48£) in germany vs. 25£ in the UK. Especially since both are in the EU.

Posted on 17 Aug 2011 14:13:57 BDT
For me it's the following: I live in Switzerland and want the game in the original English version, not the German dub/translation, added to which I was hoping to get the Augmented Edition. Looks like I haven't got that choice now...

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2011 14:31:48 BDT
Elle says:
No matter which version buy (boxed/digital) or which country you buy it in, you will be able to change the language. Steam will simply download the relevant language pack you want. Solves the language issue (provided you don't have heavily restricted bandwidth of course).

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2011 14:34:02 BDT
Sorry to be a bit suspicious, Elle, but do you know that for a fact or do you just believe it'll be the case? I'd hate to get a boxed copy of the game in Germany and end up not being able to change the language.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2011 14:43:58 BDT
Elle says:
I don't blame you for being suspicious, given the circumstances (they've done a right number on a lot of people)....but one of the admins mentioned it here: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=0bf2e0793cf7fdac5f410b8ccfde5ddc&p=1649440#post1649440

Posted on 17 Aug 2011 14:44:15 BDT
Hino says:
I was really looking forward to play this, listening to the OST and watching the artbook... and I had to cancel the preorder because of this region lock madness. Will buy it digital sub 10 euros.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2011 14:47:29 BDT
Cool, thanks. They're still idiots for doing this, though, ticking off a lot of customers. For what it's worth (which is probably not much) I sent Eidos a complaint mail.

Posted on 17 Aug 2011 15:32:30 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Aug 2011 16:09:52 BDT
Psymantis says:
This is confirmed on the store page as well now:

"Region Lock
Please note: Deus Ex on PC is region-locked to the UK only. If you are shopping from outside of the UK, please order the game from your local retailer to ensure it works on your PC."

I noticed it's been out of stock but when this announcement was made it was suddenly in stock again. Coincidence or because of people cancelling?

Edit: Holy heck it went out of stock as I was typing the message.
Edit 2: Then back in stock.

Posted on 17 Aug 2011 17:30:59 BDT
Crysis says:
People are cancelling preorders like crazy HUGE MONEY LOSS for Square-Enix

Posted on 17 Aug 2011 19:33:15 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 17 Aug 2011 19:34:16 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2011 20:14:47 BDT
J. Köhler says:
You can't really compare the prices, because you pay p

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2011 20:15:06 BDT
J. Köhler says:
You can't really compare the prices, because you pay p&p&taxes. You end up at ~38eur for AE. Still a huge gap to the .de price, so a nogo for me, ESPECIALLY with this stunt 1 week before launch.

Do say "for UK residents only" from the beginning: not ok, but clear statement. But not looking at the preorder numbers and then bringing this stunt one week before release.

SE is buying cheap resources (development in Canada) but forces customers to pay the highest possible price.

Sure you can preorder this as digital copy even from uk, but I'm pretty sure this is just a test baloon for future blockbusters.

Not buying anymore, waiting for Steam holiday sale or something. I *really* wanted this game as AE/CE, but I'm far beyond the "must have at all cost" age.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2011 21:32:26 BDT
Tom says:
I would just like to add that this marvelous plan of Square-Enix is a violation of EU regulations concerning free trade inside the EU.
More details and info on how to file a complaint with the European commission, local trade agencies and/or consumer organisations can be found at http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1650145&postcount=359

Posted on 17 Aug 2011 23:11:25 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Aug 2011 23:17:15 BDT
Light says:
does this concern the PS3 version too? I don't want to be locked out of the DLC's that come with this edition of the game because I live in a different EU state.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Aug 2011 00:04:56 BDT
J. Köhler says:
"Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Augmented Edition (PC DVD) forum"

No. PC only. UK/Russia retail only.

Everything else works.

Fun thing is: fans can't activate their long preordered AE/CE anymore if they are outside uk.

Posted on 18 Aug 2011 09:31:48 BDT
Elmar Kofler says:
well I had a look and if I want to get the extra ingame stuff the augmented version includes (for 22 Pound as I preordered long time ago) I need to get the version for 90€.

So my question is just one: are they mad?

I gonna get it later when it is reduced to a reasonable price. (or not at all lets see)

Posted on 18 Aug 2011 13:29:47 BDT
Apparently Square Enix have backed down and will no longer be region-locking the game. See the update on the Amazon page for details.

Posted on 18 Aug 2011 14:17:43 BDT
S. Hodgson says:
Yes, it has been reversed

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/18/dxhr-no-longer-region-locked-in-europe/

Posted on 18 Aug 2011 20:33:21 BDT
YamatoZ says:
now augmented edition is not available, lol

Posted on 19 Aug 2011 00:28:40 BDT
Psymantis says:
The system works. :)

It seems foolish to cancel preorders so quick as there was still time to change their minds. Although saying that it is out in a week and Amazon might start processing it very shortly. They can't reinstate their cancelled preorders either because that would mean cancelling newer orders that ordered in good faith.

Eidos/Ubisoft should have announced this months ago then this farce would have had little impact.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Aug 2011 11:10:54 BDT
Hino says:
Problem is, if we didn't cancel preorders, if we didn't contact CE to complain, if UK retailers didn't rage to Square Enix, probably the game would be still region locked... bye bye augmented :(
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  21
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  17 Aug 2011
Latest post:  25 Aug 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about