Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Learn more Shop Men's Shop Women's

The youg cold blooded killer in 'Streets of Laredo'

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Apr 2011 09:56:38 BDT
I felt that this bandit out of place compared with all the other bandits shown in the 'Lonesome Dove' sagas. He was too young, his shooting too godd and his rifle too modern.

Am i being incorrect in this belief???

Posted on 18 Jun 2014 16:58:39 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Jun 2014 17:00:07 BDT
Marcus says:
Hello, yes, I think you're incorrect. The series is set in 1896, the rifle is a Schmidt-Rubin 1889, and if you consider the real-life "Billy the Kid" who killed as many as 21 men from the age of 18 and died aged 21 - anyone can be "naturally talented" whether it be at shooting or something else. No reason why a fictional 17 year old can't have learned to shoot straight with a rifle if that's all he spent his life learning from a young age.

Regardless, I feel the age thing is symbolic of the "dying west" as America moved towards the 20th century, after the Civil War and due to modernisation, the number of old-school outlaws gradually faded as more western states joined the Union and adopted law and order, so the story called for a man experienced in the old ways to deal with the outlaw kid and catch him as few modern lawmen knew how.

Regards.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  8 Apr 2011
Latest post:  18 Jun 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about