Customer Discussions > Andy Murray: Tennis Ace forum

Is he a true champion? Or rather a well marketed/managed celebrity?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 May 2013 11:56:15 BDT
Is he a true tennis champion? Or rather a well managed/marketed tabloid celebrity?
I am a little confused.
The less he plays, the more he's present on papers...

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2013 18:16:17 BDT
Fact is that Britain is soooooooooooooooooooo desperate to have a tennis champion....that it would do anything, even supporting the Scot.
He is so ambitious and clever...When there's so much money around him ( no matter where it comes from..)..you can hire a full team of media workers, who every day flash out hundreds of press releases about every thing he does, every breath he takes... The other day it was about GQ magazine and his hairbrushing photos, yesterday it was about "ice baths", today it's about the BBC documentary "The Man behind the Racquet"..
Crap! He wants to be the new big next thing, after David Beckham! He will never make it!
Has anything like that happened with The champions Federer, Nadal or Djokovic?
It's so sad! It's pathetic!

Posted on 8 Jul 2013 12:54:29 BDT
Grandes57 says:
He won Wimbledon
Duh
What did you do?

Posted on 31 Jul 2013 15:53:29 BDT
D. Milne says:
Britain doesn't need to delude itself that we have a tennis champion since Murray's success is scientifically measureable: just count the slam finals and slam wins. No Brit since Perry comes close, no Brit at all in the open era. Besides that Murray is something like 7th best in history for slam wins compared vs players from all countries, so no mean feat. Murray is demonstrably at the (near) top of his sport - unlike David Beckham ever was btw. Beckham is a media darling and was a decent English footballer but didn't compare at all to the best from Italy, Spain, Brazil etc. You should be holding Murray up as the real thing, and Beckham as the undeserving poseur (I'm just making a comparison, in fact I think Beckham seems like a nice guy, but I don't really understand the personality cult around him).

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jan 2014 18:47:44 GMT
The No.6th ranked Scot is at the end of his journey..
He will never go back to his previous ranking.
And as for the forthcoming Davis Cup tie against the US team, despite all fanfare and brouhaha from British media and the BBC, it will surely be a scorching and undelible defeat!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xb083f2d0)

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  30 May 2013
Latest post:  25 Jan 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Andy Murray: Tennis Ace
Andy Murray: Tennis Ace by John Murray (Paperback - 6 Jun 2013)
4.9 out of 5 stars   (7)