In this book, a world-class Informix expert guides both novices and power users through the complex suite of Informix products, helping them master the development and administration skills they need most. Informix Basics is chock-full of exercises, practical examples and real-world tips - all honed through Glenn Miller's 14 years "in the trenches" teaching, building, and administering Informix databases. It shows not just what to do, but how and why to do it, and which tools to use. It covers virtually every key issue Informix developers and DBAs are likely to face, including: designing databases for maximum efficiency and power; working with SQL; using advanced SQL techniques such as stored procedures and triggers; 4GL programming and user interface development, and more. Coverage also includes data migration, interfacing with 3GLs, and the basics of Informix database administration. Informix Basics is ideal for new Informix users; power users seeking to learn application development; and database professionals migrating from other environments.
From the Back Cover
- Like having your own personal Informix consultant!
- Choose the right Informix tools - and make the most of them
- Master SQL, from the basics to SPL and triggers
- Get a quick start on custom application development
- Hundreds of real-world examples, exercises and tips
The quick, smart, practical guide to leveraging Informix technologies!
Just starting out with Informix? Already a power user, looking to move into application development? Transitioning from Access or Oracle? Informix Basics is like having an Informix expert at your side, guiding you through the complex suite of Informix products and helping you master the skills you need most. It distills the hard-won insights of a world-class Informix developer and DBA, showing you not just what to do, but how to do it, why you should do it, and which tools to use.
Informix Basics covers virtually every key issue you're likely to face as an Informix developer or DBA, including:
- Database design for maximum efficiency and power
- The fundamentals of Informix SQL: creating databases, tables, queries, ISQL forms, and reports
- Sophisticated SQL topics, including stored procedures and triggers
- 4GL programming and user interface development
- Informix database administration and how to choose the right DBA tools
You'll find practical coverage of data migration issues, interfacing with 3GLs, and much more.
On the accompanying CD-ROM, you'll the CBT Course Module: Informix On-Line Dynamic Server: Basic Concepts.
Informix Basics is chock-full of exercises, practical examples and real-world tips - all honed through Glenn Miller's 14 years "in the trenches" teaching, building, and administering Informix databases. If you want to supercharge your Informix skills, don't settle for anything less!