Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Dec 2007 21:05:15 GMT
D. A. Shaw says:
this is by far the most awfull book I have ever read.I can as a rule finish her books in 3 days ,this one took almost 3 weeks.very poor

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2008 14:39:18 BDT
I have to agree, whilst it didnt take me three weeks to finish, i was very disappointed when i turned the last page-not because it had ended as usual but because it was all so confusing! The story was far-fetched and unbelievable and the characters including Marino and Kay are unrecognisable. Give Marino some self respect back and tell Kay to get back to Virginia where she was someone! I will buy the next if only to see what depths Patricia can go to.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Sep 2008 17:14:26 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 Sep 2008 17:18:00 BDT
Just finished Book of the Dead after a pause of a few years. Last book I read was Black Notice.

I started reading these comments (and the other thread re: past her best) out of curiosity, and thoroughly agree with all the critique.

I was very disappointed in the Book of the Dead and at one point I thought that I was reading Cornwell's notes rather than a story. The characters have degenerated rather than mellowed/matured.

I felt short-changed.

I was on the Amazon site thinking I would pick up a few of the books I had missed in-between. I'm so glad I looked into this forum first. It has saved me from further disappointment.

My recollections of avidly reading her books, and anticipating her next, has been replaced by a feeling that a good character (Scarpetta) and the twisted and exciting plots were now a shadow of what they were.

I am saddened that others also think this (I thought I had perhaps moved away from her work due to other committments and had forgotten her style of writing) and, although I would like to think that any new work Cornwell publishes in the Scarpetta series will be back to the gloriously gripping style of her earlier works - if the Book of the Dead is representative of her new style, then I will echo the call for the dispatch of Scarpetta to the waste paper bin.
Sue
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  7 Dec 2007
Latest post:  20 Sep 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Book of the Dead (Kay Scarpetta Mysteries)
Book of the Dead (Kay Scarpetta Mysteries) by Patricia D. Cornwell (Audio CD - 23 Oct. 2007)
2.5 out of 5 stars   (179)