Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Nov 2008 14:22:37 GMT
Ronald Craig says:
In his review here, apeman wrote

"...the authors of this book, plainly breaking the fourth wall through Irulan's character, declare FH's original masterpiece nul and void. They effectively de-canonise it and re-class the defining work of the series alongside the Dune Encyclopedia as an in-universe document with all the inherent flaws that go along with that.

Needless to say I never saw it this way."

Neither did I. Nor did anyone else, I dare say.

Unfortunately, some part of me did not want to accept the truth of the situation, that this is seriously what they are doing, even though the evidence is clearly there in this new book. But the new inconsistencies still nagged at me.

So last night I emailed Kevin and asked him how they planned to retcon Paul's having been to Ecaz (twice no less) and Grumman three or four years before the Atreides relocation to Arrakis when Duke Leto himself at the beginning of Dune refers to that upcoming move as Paul's "first time off planet."

Surprisingly, he replied in less than two hours and specifically quoted the passage referred to by apeman at the end of Part 1. So now, according to KJA, Dune is actually "The Life of Muad'Dib" as written by Irulan.

I have no doubt that apeman is also correct as to the motivation for this move:

"This conveniently allows the authors to ignore what was previously laid down by FH and trample the original subtleties of Dune into the ground."

Yet another brilliant coup for KJA.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  1
Total posts:  1
Initial post:  2 Nov 2008
Latest post:  2 Nov 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Paul of Dune (Legends of Dune)
Paul of Dune (Legends of Dune) by Brian Herbert (Hardcover - 4 Sept. 2008)
3.4 out of 5 stars (28)