has anyone else seen the price of this book?!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Aug 2008 12:19:07 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 Aug 2008 12:19:49 BDT
Charlee says:
i would love 2 b able 2 buy this book as soon as it is released, i really would, but my issue is with the prices. i am 14 and i love 2 read. a paperback costs 5.99, and i always want 2 buy lots, so it really starts 2 add up.
If i get a book as soon as soon as it is released it will be a ridiculously expensive hardback. just look at the retail price 4 Brisingr, i mean 16.99, thts 3 weeks wages from my paper round!
so much for encouraging children to read.
there are three ways 2 get a book
1. buy it
2. borrow it from a friend
3. go 2 a library.

how can we be expected 2 buy books when they cost so much, especially children and teenagers who only have pocket money, paper rounds or babysitting money.

our friends are in exactly the same position, they can't buy it, so we can't borrow it

and the teenage sections of librarys are pathetic. because they are used so little, new books are barely ever ordered. when brisingr is released my library will probably only buy one copy, if they can even b bothered 2 buy it, so it'll b borrowed straight away and wont have 2 b returned 4 three weeks, which means i wont find it on the shelf unless im very lucky.

this habit of only releasing new books in hardcover is just another way 2 make more money and its terrible really. especially from a childrens book, because this is esentially extortion. taking advantage of desperate fans who want the book straight away 2 read by making them pay more for it.

does anyone else think it would b nice if books were made affordable?

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Aug 2008 13:43:06 BDT
Dsavage94 says:
dude i only ready a few books on the side i game most of my time and games are 40 so do what i do and save up for the book or look around to get a cheaper version or just wait but these books rock so i can't expect u to wait for it to go down in price

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Aug 2008 20:02:22 BDT
Sam. says:
Hey

I agree with you there.

I also buy alot of books and it annoys me to. The prices are stupid.

I think the same as you they want us to read when price are like that and the library are rubbish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Sep 2008 10:43:08 BDT
I think UK book prices are actually very reasonable. Books are priced on release at 16.99 for hardbacks, sure, but anywhere you shop you'll find that the new releases are 3 off or 4 off or even half price on places like Amazon. In America, a hardback book from a mainstream book store like Barnes and Noble costs around $27 (15), but no intro discounts are made available.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Sep 2008 15:15:49 BDT
Sam. says:
That is very true like Waterstones does 3 off new books and on the internet half price and that

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Sep 2008 17:38:21 BDT
They have to be expensive so that Amazon can discount it to half price and still make a profit! As for buying lots of books, thats what parents, grandparents uncle and aunts are for! They are alway stuck with wondering what you want for birthdays, Xmas etc, so ask for book tokens 8-)

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Sep 2008 09:50:08 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Sep 2008 09:50:39 BDT
Sam. says:
True but there are only 2 event in the year (christmas and birthday) when i can get them

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Sep 2008 09:24:01 BDT
P. J. Biggs says:
Maybe you were a bit premature, 8.49 (at the time of me writing this) isn't too bad for a brand new hardback! Also as this is brand new, I'm sure there'll be people who will fly through this in a few hours (like me!) and there's bound to be some of them who'll (for some strange reason that I can't understand!) put it straight back on the net to be sold at a used price!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Sep 2008 13:34:08 BDT
lynspin says:
I'v been watching this book for months and its been half price since i first spoted it, most books like this hav pre order offer on them. Only reason i'v not yet it ordered is i'm moving house and don't want it going to wrong address!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Sep 2008 21:18:57 BDT
M. L. FRIGHT says:
yeh i agree with u about hardback there just annoying and especially some series like demonata (darren shan) the book doesnt come out in paper back until the next 1 in the series is out in hard back so im always a bk behind which sucks!
but amazon are actually quite reasonable in prices and i just have to only buy the books i really love a borrow the rest

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Sep 2008 18:17:33 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Sep 2008 18:24:13 BDT
hey Charlee

I was just reading what you wrote about the price of books i find it cheaper sometimes to buy them from ebay you just have to decide how much you can afford (remember postage costs). I would advise you to bid in the last 30-40 seconds to try and win the book as this doesnt allow other bidders time to outbid you. Hope this helps what I do at christmas it print off a copy of my wish list and ask my mum to tell my family which books to buy me and that helps cos they are always asking me what I want so that way they can buy something you will like.......... take care and I hope you enjoy Brisingr when you get it.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Sep 2008 19:31:45 BDT
J. A. John says:
to be fair as well the people who encorage you to read are teachers and parents relations ectra. not the authers. in the end its a business. and Christopher Paolini is very wealthy now dont for get the book must be expensive enough that the publisher auther and bookshop all get a piece of the pie even though im sure it costs pennies to make they want to make a ton of money. wouldnt you? the real con i think in books is not the price but the font size. i dont bother bying books under 400 pages as they are read in a few days. but what i detest is when you bye a 600 page book with size 11 font with you can read a page in 30 seconds really anoys me!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Sep 2008 10:02:57 BDT
Another way to get books is to go to the lost property department of London Underground! They always have the bestsellers as thousands of books are left on trains every year!

Best wishes and keep up the reading...................................

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Sep 2008 20:22:03 BDT
yes i am 12 and i think they should make books more affordable because if you want to buy a series its 20 quid out of pocket. Also my libary has lods of books but not any good ones so i 100% aggree with you

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Sep 2008 09:27:23 BDT
E. M. Newton says:
im not being silly, but just go to a decent library! if there isn't a big one near you, then talk to the people there, if they arn't going to buy it in, then as you are 14 you can order it from another libray free of charge. But if lots of you go in and ask if they are going to buy it then im sure they will get the hint. also school library work really well. ours had loads of good books almost as soon as they came out.
im sure you will find a way.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Sep 2008 09:27:54 BDT
E. M. Newton says:
im not being silly, but just go to a decent library! if there isn't a big one near you, then talk to the people there, if they arn't going to buy it in, then as you are 14 you can order it from another libray free of charge. But if lots of you go in and ask if they are going to buy it then im sure they will get the hint. also school library work really well. ours had loads of good books almost as soon as they came out.
im sure you will find a way.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2008 18:08:41 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Sep 2008 18:11:49 BDT
its just 16 quid, btw u should be on amazon via ur rentz cred/debit card, so im sure ur rentz wouldt mind a book

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2008 19:11:50 BDT
Sam. says:
Library have no decent book in and if they do they usually have the second one but on the first. The only good library is the school one and there is only a certain amount of books they have which are good

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Sep 2008 12:36:49 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Sep 2008 12:37:26 BDT
petzneo says:
Hey, you can get this book in waterstones for 7. I bought it from there on saturday!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Oct 2008 15:06:03 BDT
Well this book isn't that expensive if you look around. its 8 something in tescos but i do agree. books are extremely expensive espesially graphic novels/comics

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Oct 2008 18:07:26 BDT
bookfairy says:
Hey good luck with getting the book. They were expensive and your right its not encouraging kids to read at all.
I buy alot of books and iv been leaving myself with litrally no money by the end of the month so iv started to buy most of them second hand. So if it was me, i would either do as these other guys on here say and hunt for the bargain at tesco's, waterstones, or wait til someone sells one second hand on here :) or ebay
GOOD LUCK!

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Oct 2008 14:37:46 BDT
Charlee, I totally agree, but here's the thing... an offer of a FREE BOOK!! Go to www.dragonhorse.co.uk and from there to the author's blog via the MySpace link - the author is offering FREE SIGNED COPIES to the first 10 people who comment on his Blog! He's trying to get a Readers' Circle going on his book, Dragon Horse, which by the way is a cracking good read and a totally original fantasy set in ancient China on the Silk Road 1,000 years ago. Awesome dragons, sorcery, evil guardian-spirits, battles and loads of other stuff - you have to read it! So go on, be the first to log on to his Blog and get your free copy!!

Pascoe Lee

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Oct 2008 06:49:36 BDT
It would be nice but unlikely to happen - why not club together to buy the book or wait a couple of weeks for the price to drop. Also organising book swaps with friends so you get more for your money.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Oct 2008 20:49:24 BDT
stardust says:
I read a lot of books and can't afford to buy them new so I go around the charity shops and usually pay about 2-4 for a virtually brand new hardback book. Although it means I do have to wait a little bit longer to read them I usually have a nice pile waiting to be read so it doesn't really matter. If you are really in a rush to read a book don't rely on finding it on the library shelves, ask to reserve it (as soon as you know it has a definite publication date if you want) - if they don't have a copy at your branch then they should get it from another library, my library will even get me books from another county. If they are reluctant to do this because you are a teenager (wrong I know but some people are like that) can you get an adult to request it for you?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  20
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  31 Aug 2008
Latest post:  24 Oct 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Brisingr
Brisingr by Christopher Paolini (Hardcover - 30 Sep 2008)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (201)