Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 Oct 2012 21:41:54 BDT
Taron Ramsay says:
Windows 8 Pro, Upgrade Edition [Upgrade from Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7] (PC)
This is a boxed version of Windows 8 Pro used to upgrade all previous versions of Windows form XP onwards. This contains both 32 and 64 bit instillations. The £25 price that everyone is on about is if you bought a NEW computer in the last 6 months. Each upgrade is for ONE computer only, hence the MUCH cheaper price compared to windows 7 that was for three. Almost all previous programs will work with windows 8 but the built in advisor will let you know if they wont.
Yours Truly
Windows 8 Dev and Skype for Windows 8

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Oct 2012 02:25:46 BDT
Jawswing says:
The £25 price is for a digital download that will be available, presumably at launch, if they even offer that in our market at all.
It's £15 if you purchased a PC in the last 6 months. https://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-GB
£50 if you want the boxed upgrade version.

Anyway, I've got a few questions, if you don't mind answering them. Don't seem to get any answers on Google, or I'm just not wording them right.
If you were to purchase an app from Windows 8, is this app available to any user on that PC, or would it just be available to the one account that purchased it? Also, would I be able to use this purchased app with the same account on another PC/laptop?
Blu Ray/DVD isn't supported from what I gather and you need to purchase this seperately apparently from Media Center. Again, will this only work on that PC, or will the support work with the account you sign in with? Also, the articles I read don't clearly state whether or not you can purchase Blu Ray support, it only seemed to mention DVD support. So do you know if Blu Ray support is purchasable?
Finally, in a month or two I intend to get a new graphics card (AMD to Nvidia) which will presumably require a clean install. How will this effect me purchasing an upgrade code? Especially with a digital version?

Thankyou.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Oct 2012 17:44:58 BDT
Taron Ramsay says:
Apps downloading are linked to the microsoft (hotmail, live ect) email account that you will need to use to download the apps, because of this all app purchases are linked to the account and can be downloaded as many times as you like on windows 8 using the same account. Bluray and dvd are supported, there is no need for anything extra, for example, if windows 8 is installed on a desktop with an existing bluray drive it will still play bluray films perfectly fine using windows media player and if you get a new graphic card you wont need a clean install, your card manufacturer will tell you how to install, no fresh windows install is EVER needed. This also has no effect on your upgrade code, you will also have several ways to retrieve your windows 8 digital licence code should anything go wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Oct 2012 21:23:59 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Oct 2012 21:25:22 BDT
N. C. Toma says:
I am building a new computer which version do I need and which are the costs considering that I do this computer for home use and i want media center enabled.

Thank you

Posted on 17 Oct 2012 09:44:09 BDT
S. Clements says:
Can someone tell me if I can use this product for multiple computers, i.e. I have fours computers at home and I do not want to pay £49 x 4. So how many licenses does this cover?

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Oct 2012 14:11:48 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Oct 2012 14:12:24 BDT
Sadly, but it only covers 1 license. The cheapest option would be to buy the downloadable version from Microsoft online store, it supposed to cost half the price of the physical license.

Posted on 17 Oct 2012 14:24:07 BDT
L. Hawker says:
Can anyone tell me why the price of the download version is half of what the physical edition is? and if i download windows 8 do i need to use recovery discs etc. ive never installed an operating system on windows before.

Posted on 18 Oct 2012 23:20:48 BDT
Taron Ramsay says:
there is no need to get anything other than pro, enterprise contains business content not needed by the average user and this is for one computer, considering the cost is much less than previous versions on windows I still think it's worth putting it on more than one by purchasing more than one. £25 for the download key is INCORRECT! it is only that if you have purchased a computer in the last 6 months. If you download windows 8 it will come in an .iso format, this should automatically open windows disk image burner. Insert a blank dvd and start the burn process. To upgrade simply run the disk while logged onto windows, for a clean install boot from the disk in the bios (google will tell you how to do this)

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Oct 2012 09:33:47 BDT
D. A. Atkins says:
You are wrong regarding the £25 download, Taron.

The Win8 upgrade offer you refer to is for people who has bought a Windows 7 PC between 2 June 2012 and 31 January 2013 and that costs £14.99. An official link to Microsoft upgrade offer page:
http://windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-GB

The full Win8 Pro upgrade package can be downloaded from Microsoft for £25 or bought on DVD for £50. From the official Microsoft store, "Starting October 26th, you'll also have the option to download it for £24.99":
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/pdp/productID.257641900

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Oct 2012 10:34:48 BDT
@D.A. Atkins - that's my understanding also.

Posted on 22 Oct 2012 12:41:27 BDT
B. Dubiel says:
Did any of you considered using Linux?! Why pay for something if there is free alternative. With Linux you don't need MSN account, in most cases you don't need any additional software (as it all comes pre installed - LibreOffice, Gimp etc), there is over 300,000 packeges to choose from (Android Play-like store), there is no need for antivirus.
Free, quick, and with constant updates much more efficient than windows updates.

If you not sure that you will like it, just burn the image onto a DVD and run it in live session mode. No changes will be done on your hard drive and if you happy you can use this DVD to install in on your machine.

Try Linux Mint www.linuxmint.com and look for Mint13 "Maya"

Posted on 22 Oct 2012 15:39:30 BDT
GG says:
Sticking to Windows 7... Windows 8 will be a big fail

Posted on 22 Oct 2012 16:21:09 BDT
Would be grateful if someone could answer this- My entire system is encrypted "on the fly" with truecrypt. Am I Likely to encounter any problems upgrading?

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Oct 2012 07:40:53 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 24 Oct 2012 07:43:16 BDT]

Posted on 24 Oct 2012 23:58:49 BDT
Taron Ramsay says:
Truecrypt will not make any difference as my understanding of truecrypt is that it does not encrypt windows files due to the need for your computer to use them, therefore the upgrade should make not cause any problems, windows upgrade advisor will tell you before hand anyway. The information I have been given is that Windows 8 PRO will not be £25, a standardised version will be downloading with stripped features, this may have changed since I was last told anything about it.
Yours truely
Windows 8 dev and skype for windows 8 dev

Posted on 25 Oct 2012 11:37:10 BDT
govanhill says:
looks like you're wrong again Taron
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/buy

Posted on 26 Oct 2012 15:49:36 BDT
Taron Ramsay says:
@govanhill, The information I was given has since been changed and that is in fact an offer, it will not always been £25

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Oct 2012 16:27:11 BDT
govanhill says:
Yes I know, it is £25 until January

Posted on 26 Oct 2012 19:12:34 BDT
HedKandi says:
Where is the System Builder version? Amazon do not have a copy and I can't see it available on MS web site either. US Amazon has it for $99.

Posted on 26 Oct 2012 19:31:17 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 Oct 2012 09:10:56 GMT
Reuben says:
Windows 8 Pro, Upgrade Edition [Upgrade from Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7] (PC)

Amazon offered this as pre-release at £49.98. On the release day the price was reduced to £46.90 nad then to £46.35. However my pre-release order wa charged at the higher price.
Sneaky or what.

Added 28 Oct 2012: I am please to say that although emails from Amazon were very negetive, a call from the Customer Escalation Team sorted the probelm quickly and efficiently. Well done Susan of Customer Escalations.

Posted on 28 Oct 2012 09:05:39 GMT
HedKandi says:
I have found the system builder on disc for £76. Disappointed MS do not have a downloadable version at half the price like they do with the upgrade version. I will give it a miss at that price.

Posted on 3 Dec 2012 12:40:03 GMT
Cuius says:
Seems UK is losing out again - upgrade price for a recently-purchased computer is €14.99 (£12.17 at today's exchange rate) in Spain, and the back-up disc is €18.98 (£15.40). Incidentally, Acer will refund the upgrade price. Also rumour has it that Microsoft are so desperate to sell the upgrades that checks to confirm you have bought a new computer are not stringent ;<)

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2013 23:46:45 GMT
A. Davidson says:
check out windows to go

Posted on 31 Jan 2013 10:29:53 GMT
Last edited by the author on 31 Jan 2013 10:30:35 GMT
Review deleted. I just want you all to know that I put a review up here, that gave it two stars, and was generally highly critical of Windows 8. 14 people agreed with it. I then edited it, to add a comment about SmartScreen, and as a result Amazon deleted it. Despite have re-written and submitted the review, they refuse to pubish it.

My wife also wrote a negative review about Windows 8 (who purchased a copy from Amazon) and her review was also censored. Just so you know.

I've never had this happen before, but I guess Windows 8 is sensitive issue, and some organisations don't want to upset Microsoft.

This post will probably disappear in a day so, when Amazon remove it, so please remember it, and what is going on here.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2013 18:28:49 GMT
egontoast says:
What a load of rubbish.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  20
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  15 Oct 2012
Latest post:  17 Jun 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Windows 8 Pro, Upgrade Edition [Upgrade from Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7] (PC) by Microsoft Software (Windows 8)
3.4 out of 5 stars   (925)