Once again the publishing date for A Dance With Dragons has been put back!!!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 184 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Jan 2009 01:27:49 GMT
I don't understand, first this book was supposed to be released in Oct 08 then it was put back until April 09 and it says it will not be published until Oct 09. Is Martin taking liberties or is his publishing house just trying to hold off publishing because they think they'll make more money?

Don't they get that fans of the series have been waiting for years to read this book? It's enough that we had to wait so long for Martin to write the thing because he has other commitments to consider but he wouldn't have these commitments if it wasn't for the success of A Song Of Ice And Fire and the loyalty of his readers.

All I ask is a bit of consideration for the reader, don't keep us waiting for the next book in the series. If you do I know you'll lose at least one fan.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2009 23:33:22 GMT
A. Whitehead says:
To be honest his biggest commitment, editing the WILD CARDS series, goes back to a decade before A Game of Thrones was published and it was the huge success of WILD CARDS that allowed him to write ASoIaF in the first place, so his continued work on that series is understandable.

However, I was starting to expect this news. To get the book in April GRRM would have had to have finished the book about now. Because he hasn't, Voyager have put the date back 6 months. However, they did say previously that they would rush-release the book in 3 months once he's finished, so if he finishes soon perhaps the release date will be brought forward. I wouldn't hold my breath on that though.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2009 01:56:01 GMT
A. Kurt says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2009 16:25:59 GMT
J. Crowther says:
He hasn't finished it yet. It's very disappointing, I know, but apparently he's trying his hardest.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2009 16:31:11 GMT
J. Crowther says:
How on earth is he squeezing more money from his readers by not finishing the book? Surely the best and quickest way to extort us would be to quickly and sloppily finish books five, six and seven?

I'm not saying it's an easy wait, God knows I've felt every minute of the three and half years since Crows, but surely no-one reasonable can think that this is some elaborate scheme to cheat us of our hard-earned cash? I mean, how stupid would they have to be to think that would work?

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2009 23:39:27 GMT
A. Kurt says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2009 11:26:30 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jan 2009 11:27:00 GMT
J. Crowther says:
Yes, there's a lot of spin-off stuff to his name, but it's hardly big business; it's a drop in the ocean compared to movie merchandising and, in particular, to the revenues generated *by*the*books*themselves*!

Do you really think he's dragging out this novel just to sell a few obsessives a couple of pewter knights? Be realistic. Even a few copies of the Guardians of Order RPG he has sitting around his house, hefty though they may be, are not going to bump him up any tax brackets.

And anyway, all this merchandising would continue whether or not the book was completed, so how can you possibly say that *because* the book isn't here that this is cynical money-spinning? His books are popular and ripe for exploitation in other media; creative people are queuing up to ask him for the rights to do so, do you really think he's going to say no when (as with most of the merchandise I have seen) it's of as high quality as it generally is? There's no obligation for you - or for anyone else - to buy any of this, so what exactly is your problem?

And God forbid that an author should promote the other books that he has written. Where would the world be if such cynical self-promotion were allowed to run riot?

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2009 00:32:22 GMT
A. Kurt says:

Posted on 9 Jun 2009 17:04:10 BDT
I've cancelled my pre-order for this book. When Feast of Crows was released in 2005 he stated that the book was so large that it had to be cut in half, which would indicate that the other half of the book was either finished or almost so. So appearantly the author wasn't being truthful with his readers. If the book was so large it had to be cut in half, then either it was not finished, in which case he was dishonest, or, he disliked what he wrote and has spent the last 4+ years rewriting it, which I doubt.

Posted on 16 Jun 2009 17:05:09 BDT
Peter Brant says:
His output whilst of very high quality is unbeleivably slow. And to be honest, its not worth the wait. I shall be putting the entire series on hold until he finishes it (if he ever does). I simply cannot be bothered to read a book and then wait over 4 years for the sequel. At this rate, the series will not be finished until 2021 at the earliest.

Posted on 18 Jun 2009 16:03:47 BDT
A. Whitehead says:
"When Feast of Crows was released in 2005 he stated that the book was so large that it had to be cut in half, which would indicate that the other half of the book was either finished or almost so. So appearantly the author wasn't being truthful with his readers."

No. He. Didn't. The note in the back of AFFC actually says that ADWD wasn't even close to being finished at the time. Yes, he said he wanted the book to come out a year later, but it certainly isn't the case that AFFC and ADWD were one completed book split in half for publication, and GRRM has never said that was the case.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jun 2009 10:49:39 BDT
Rolo Tomasi says:
He has said previously that the reason this book is taking so long is because this is when the story is at its broadest, and tyhe story lines should converge by the end of ADWD, making the next books easier to write. I mean think about how ASOS finished, everyone is scattered, i suspect that a few of the main characters are gonna meet up in this book, making the story a lot more narrow and concise. either that or he will kill off a load of our favourite characters again!
saying this though, i do wonder at the length of time ADWD has taken, as i am rereading the books at present and am astonished at how many references there are in the earlier books to events that don't occur until much later, for example, nods towards the red wedding back in book 2! so if he does seem to plan ahead, then surely this book shouldn't be so hard to write? then again, i am no writer, so can hardly judge. I am expecting a beast of a book though when this is finally released, to make it worth the wait, couple of thousand pages ought to do it! :)

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jun 2009 15:14:12 BDT
It's officially been put back in the publishers schedules to Autumn '10

That info should start making its way to the retailers shortly. But it has been put back again. If its done before then it'll be out, but don't expect it this year.

As a fan thats frustrating , but if it also means its getting bigger and better ... so be it.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jun 2009 13:47:19 BDT
Rolo Tomasi says:
I hope it's just the publishers being over cautious. Seems odd since Martin recently wrote in his blog that writing had been going extremely well lately. If it is the case though I might just give up my regular check ups on progress, and be pleasantly surprised in 5 years time (or however long it will eventualy take!) when my pre-ordered copy finally drops through the letter box.

Posted on 3 Jul 2009 19:58:24 BDT
This has been going on so long now... ive forgotten half of whats happened!!!!

Posted on 4 Jul 2009 11:56:35 BDT
Chris Ryder says:
You'd better hope he does get a move on! He's not exactly getting any younger... if he carries on like this he'll never finish volumes 6 and 7 before he shuffles off of his mortal coil!!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jul 2009 17:15:37 BDT
I for one, just love Lord of the Rings and all other books (Similarion, etc). I don't even *know* how far apart they were written. The only unfortunate thing with Songs of Ice and Fire is that I'm alive when it is in the process of being written. The only thing that matters, in the end, is how the series ends up being (very high quality imho).

Posted on 15 Jul 2009 09:42:24 BDT
G. Peters says:
I've also decided to wait until the series is completely finished and then i'll read them. 4 years between books is stretching it just a tad, saying that if they are of the quality of what i've read so far, books 1-3, the it will be worth the wait.

Posted on 17 Jul 2009 12:57:28 BDT
Not meaning to panic fans but according to his blog entry

http://grrm.livejournal.com/tag/dance+with+dragons

He last mentioned DWD on 22 JUN! Can he finish it and have it edited, printed and bound by OCT 09?

Posted on 17 Jul 2009 20:32:25 BDT
Braythor says:
The publishing date on here is unreliable, it's nothing more than Amazon having a guess. He's said quite clearly on his site that when he's finished the book he'll put a post on his 'not-a-blog' saying so, and that until that moment any publishing date given by any person, organisation or site is baseless. Personally I doubt it will be out this year. Yes it's disappointing, I myself read the series to time finishing Feast for the estimated April release, but these things take time. I'm shocked how many people have a 'he should get on with it' attitude; I know how hard it is to write a novel and can only only imagine how difficult it is to create something as epic and groundbreaking as SoIaF. We all know the wait will be worth it, for now we'll have to make do with revisiting the books and/or reading the sample chapters on his website - there are three, he rotates them every couple of months, at the moment it's Daenerys (unfortunately the same sample from the back of more recent copies of Feast), before that it was a Jon chapter, the next one is a Tyrion chapter.

Posted on 27 Jul 2009 19:43:32 BDT
A. Whitehead says:
GRRM's last comment on the book was at his signings in Helsinki and Tallinn a couple of weeks ago. He said it was almost done and he anticipates finishing it by November, maybe earlier than that. If that is the case, the book will be published in the UK in February 2010 and a month or two later in the USA. At the San Diego Comic-Con this week, his editor Anne Groell agreed with that timescale and said she's seen a large amount of the book and has been editing it for some time. According to her the book is over 1,000 manuscript pages in length, making it about the same length as A GAME OF THRONES and A FEAST FOR CROWS, possibly longer.

Obviously the book's chances of coming out in October 2009 are less than zero, and Voyager need to amend their date. I've heard a few Waterstones were even putting up excited signs in their stores saying that the book will be out in October, which they need to change sharpish before they get complaints about it.

Posted on 27 Jul 2009 23:42:48 BDT
VMS says:
Until 5 minutes ago, I would have gladly joined my voice to the "where the HELL is ADWD?" chorus that 90% of fans seem to be chanting.
However I think I have just realised why the guy can not finish his current work - in progress. Writing is hard enough as it is, even without thousands of people demanding an excuse. I know and understand he has been working on other projects simultaneously , this irritates me also, but for goodness sake give the guy a break and he will eventually produce.

I'll be suprised if he hasn't developed insomnia after all this public biccaring and wingeing.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Aug 2009 00:56:32 BDT
mermaid says:
Actually, he did say exactly that in his blog. A pity, because if he hadn't, the reader frustration would not be as intense - or, at least, less justifiable.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Aug 2009 12:28:46 BDT
A. Whitehead says:
Again, he did not say any such thing.

When AFFC was complete he gave the page-counts for the completed material for ADWD. He had 500 manuscript pages left over for ADWD, which was about 40% of the projected total page-count of the book (currently 1,200 manuscript pages). That's not even half the book being done in 2005. So the notion that he had completed the whole thing and cut it in half then is totally without foundation.

The reason for the delay on the book is that most, if not all, of that material completed in 2005 has been rewritten to make for a stronger book. The writing time for ADWD, if you take it as a new book written from scratch starting in 2005, is not unusual for this series: A Game of Thrones and the first third of A Clash of Kings were written together over 5 years, and A Feast for Crows was written in about 5 years, counting the eighteen months he spent working on a different SoIaF book before scrapping it and writing AFFC instead.

I do agree that over-optimism about the book coming out soon after AFFC is the cause of the discontent. I suspect we will see no release dates at all for Book 6 until he is done or nearly done to avoid some of the same issues. I would also not expect to see Book 6 until 2013 at the earliest, but more likely 2014-15.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Sep 2009 01:45:23 BDT
mermaid says:
Yes he did.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  93
Total posts:  184
Initial post:  14 Jan 2009
Latest post:  26 Jun 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 20 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5) by George R. R. Martin (Hardcover - 12 July 2011)
3.8 out of 5 stars   (659)