Can it add handwriting to Word/Excel/PDF files?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Jul 2011 08:55:05 BDT
Impecunious says:
I don't want it for art, I want to leave handwritten comments on Word, Excel, pdf files etc when reviewing other people's work. Will it do this?

Posted on 31 Jul 2011 10:59:32 BDT
Ari says:
I also interested in using it for adding comments on word or pdf documents as well as digitalising notes. Can someone please comment?

Posted on 19 Aug 2011 17:11:28 BDT
Hi, does anyone with this product know how to answer our questions? I'd like to write word documents using it, not just make comments. So I want it to repalce my keyboard as well as my mouse, because of RSI injuries.
Thanks so much to someone who can answer this, or recommend something that does all of the above!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Aug 2011 13:06:58 BDT
f_wulfert says:
I wouldn't think so, you would need to use digital notepads or digital pens to do that (think of amongst others the necessity to convert the handwritten graphic information into text and the ease of use provided by seeing what you have written on paper). I tried a cheap digital pen once and was rather underwhelmed but as you might be forced to use it due to health reasons I would advise you to do research in digital notepads.

Posted on 25 Aug 2011 07:13:13 BDT
Impecunious says:
I queried this directly with Wacom and received this response:

"Every Wacom tablet (but the Bamboo Touch tablet) works with a pen. In order to put a signature or some handwritten information on a Word file, Excel file, Illustrator file, etc., you can find a specific handwritring recognition programme within your computer operating system. By default, such programme is already installed on your computer if you have a recent operating system.

"For Windows XP especially, the "Justwrite office" software is required; Wacom actually offers to get Justwrite office in order to compensate for the lack of a specific handwriting recognition software on this operating system. You can purchase this software through our website: http://uk.shop.wacom.eu/JustWrite-Office

"The Digital Ink application should be available on your Vista system, by default. If you cannot find it, I would recommend to enter in contact with the Microsoft technical support.

"Microsoft recently developed its own handwritring recognition programme: Tablet Pc Ink for Windows Vista end Windows 7. For this reason, "Justwrite Office" is not compatible with Vista or Windows 7. Furthermore, you can also use the Digital Ink function ( www.wacom.com.sg/vista ).

"Concerning Mac, Apple also developed a proper handwritring recognition software, called "Ink" or "Inkwell", that can be found in the system preferences menu (Apple menu > System preferences > Material section > Ink). It is an application automatically activated by the system when it detects a graphic tablet presence. If you already installed your tablet driver, you can find the Ink icon in the system preferences menu. Click on this icon and get the ability for switching this application on or off. If you activate it, a little yellow window will appear on your screen on which you can "handwrite". Then set the preferences according to your choice.

"Some applications allow you to enter text directly; with others, you first enter the text into a "scratch pad" (where you can edit or revise it) before bringing it into the application. Inkwell supports several stylus gestures, making it easy to select, edit, and delete text. It also understands English, French, and German.

"To write within a PDF file, please check this as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_notetaking_software

"Further handwriting recognition info: http://www.wacom-asia.com/vista/"

That's the end of the message from Wacom. I'm not sure that I'm much clearer; I haven't followed all the links yet, but it seems to me that handwriting recognition software reads and 'stylises' handwriting.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Aug 2011 06:58:30 BDT
Hettie says:
I also have RSI and was also wondering if this was possible. Following the instructions given by Cooksey (this was very helpful), I have enabled the Ink programme on my Mac. The main issue is my handwriting which I will need to develop so that the computer recognise my writing (which is messy at the best of times). I have been able to write in spreadsheets and word document programmes but am having difficulty with presentations. I have not tried PDF but will aim to give it a go. I hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Aug 2011 07:36:50 BDT
Impecunious says:
Thanks Hettie. Clearly you have a tablet or some sort of writing pad. Which do you use? I just have a basic PC, keyboard & mouse and before I buy a tablet or whatever I want to be sure it will do what I want it to do - i.e. handwrite on Word, Excel; & hopefully pdf files. I'm woefully ignorant in this area and am just starting to realise that the tablet will probably need separate software, which may or may not already be included in Windows or whatever.

I know there's a pdf annotator (called, strangely enough, 'PDF Annotator') but I don't think it works on Word & Excel files.

Something Wacom wrote has dawned on me - every product of theirs except the Wacom Bamboo Touch tablet has the electronics in the pen itself; with the Bamboo Touch you can use any old stylus as the electronics are all in the pad.

Posted on 26 Aug 2011 08:00:10 BDT
Hettie says:
Hi, I have the Wacom Bamboo Pen Graphics Tablet CTL-460, a basic Mac and keyboard. I have been using the tablet in place of a mouse for a few years and have been very happy with it's performance; I also wanted to use it as a writing tool but did not know how to enable this feature. Once I read your instructions I was able to enable this and did not need seperate software to write on spreadsheets or word, but I think you right with regards to PDFs, in that extra software may be required.

Posted on 19 Oct 2011 12:16:48 BDT
Hello...I'm a writer but not clued up on this modern stuff. Would this product be good to write with instead of a keyboard?

Posted on 27 Oct 2011 05:42:07 BDT
Hettie says:
Hi. With practice, it is possible to use this as a writing tool.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  7 Jul 2011
Latest post:  27 Oct 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Wacom Bamboo Pen Graphics Tablet
Wacom Bamboo Pen Graphics Tablet by Wacom
4.5 out of 5 stars   (172)