Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Voyage Shop Now Shop now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Aug 2008 02:10:34 BDT
tremby says:
how is the text of the stories presented in this book? is it printed copies of the handwritten original, printed in a "handwriting" typeface or just printed in a regular typeface?

same question for the non-limited edition.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Aug 2008 19:01:21 BDT
Indigo Peas says:
With the Collector's edition, Amazon states that the book "includes an exclusive reproduction of J.K. Rowling's handwritten introduction". This would mean that a)the standard copy has Jo's intro in normal typeset and b)for both books, the tales are reproduced in standard typeset.

I am so very, very grateful to Jo, Amazon and the 6 Special People that everyone will have a chance to read, and even own, a copy of the unabridged tales, let alone have the option of purchasing something which resembles the originals...
...but I would SOOO have loved the tales to have been reproduced in the collector's edition also in full reproduction, rather than typeset. I think this would have been more in step with Amazon's "designed to evoke the spirit of the handcrafted original" description, and a better reflection of the £50 price tag.

Just a wishful suggestion (I know, shared by many, many fans) cos I've preordered my collector's edition and am so excited about it nevertheless ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Aug 2008 01:06:34 BDT
N. Blake says:
Yeah to be honest I'm a bit peeved that it isn't an actual faithful recreation of Rowling's handwriting, which is surely part of the beauty of the original book(s). Presumably amazon think the handwriting is too difficult to read, but surely the point of having a limited edition set is to provide an experience greater than just having the text as legible as possible? (Which is what the much MUCH cheaper standard edition is going to be!) Just seems such a shame that such an opportunity hasn't been taken.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Aug 2008 07:54:49 BDT
Hammo says:
I'm relieved actually. I prefer to read typeface. Handwriting I find frustrating.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Aug 2008 21:43:04 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Aug 2008 21:44:04 BDT
Then buy the standard edition.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Aug 2008 10:48:14 BDT
Hammo says:
Why would I do that? The collectors edition has typeface.

In fact I'm not a harry potter fan so I won't be reading them. Its for the wife and kid.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Aug 2008 15:15:41 BDT
Indigo Peas says:
I'm intrigued by how many postings are made on this and other Harry Potter related forums by non Harry Potter fans ("The (lady) doth protest too much, methinks"). As someone who constantly wishes to squeeze 36 hours out of every day, I'm envious of those with enough spare time to indulge in so much winding-people-up from the cowardly safety of behind an anonimous computer screen.

But to the point: I bought the Waterstones' What's Your Story? postcard collection for my kids and the entries are all copies of the handwritten originals. Whereas I can work out Jo's, I find some of them (e.g. Margaret Atwood's) all but illegible.

Personally, I am really glad that they are reproduced as they are, and not 'translated' into printed typeset. It is tricky picking out the words - even without additional barriers such as a foreign language - but the extra thrill I get from the intimacy of the authors' handwriting gives me something in addition to just the stories.

But I would love to also be able to read all the stories in typeset and made this posting in the hope that maybe someone out there knows where this can be accessed (not just Jo's)?

I would personally have felt the same about the CE version (repro handwriting, typeset available somehow) but have no brilliant ideas as to how this could have been achieved without the whole thing looking tacky (maybe 2 little books within the outer cover book or handwriting versions on one side and typeset on facing page, like some greek / latin translations?).

But, anyway, since we have no choice or say in the matter, thoughts like these are simply rambling reveries...

... on the other hand, there were a lot of similar rambling reveries on the forums about someday being able to buy The Tales of Beedle the Bard back in December...

*goes off to clean the toilets with held breath and wishful thoughts*

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Aug 2008 19:44:15 BDT
Je Mischenko says:
Yeah, I bought one of those postcard thingys and Doris Lessings and some others are bloody impossible to read! I bought the collection just for JK Rowling's story, however I must say I enjoyed the others immensly, :P.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Aug 2008 07:56:07 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 Aug 2008 08:27:04 BDT
Hammo says:
As someone who struggled to get to grips with joint-writing at primary school, I do find it hard to read. Whenever my granny sends me a letter, I have to ask my wife to read it to me. I understand why people would prefer it in the handwriting though.

People are now talking about wearing gloves to handle the book though! I think we all have to wait until its released and remember it is still a mass produced book, and will certainly not be off the quality of the originals! I'm looking forward to it arriving as its a surprise gift.

Hopefully it will arrive, but someone was saying people will not find out until near the release date if they have been allocated a copy. I'm sure most of us ordered in the first day or two so should be OK!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2008 14:28:37 BDT
A. Kent says:
What's even stranger (to me) is those buying the collectors edition and then the standard to read. I do understand why (kinda) but to me a book is made to be read and enjoyed and thats what I'll do (as I have with my signed 1st of GoF) I can't imagine having a book to just sit and look pretty.
Guess thats why we all have opinons though
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  1 Aug 2008
Latest post:  25 Sep 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions