Customer Discussions > A Quiet Belief In Angels forum

What is it about Ellorys writing that makes him so uniique?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Jan 2008 12:21:11 GMT
Hardeep says:
I have been a fan of Ellory since his first book, mainly due his wonderful writing style, especially in regards to the depth of his characters. The beautiful resonance with which he sets a scene has certainly created a new standard in modern writing.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jan 2008 01:24:01 GMT
M. Johns says:
Absolutely agree! Just read A Quiet Belief in Angels and have ordered all previous books. Just was not able to put this book down. He has just acquired a new fan.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2008 21:27:16 GMT
I can only agree -just discovered him and have done likewise!I now realize how poor many of the books I have read previously in the crime genre have been

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2008 22:48:45 GMT
Boof says:
Ooh, how exciting. I haven't read this yet but having just seen all these amazing reviews I can't wait to start it. I hope I like it as much as you guys as I too love it when I discover a new author and then have all their other books to look forward to.
Will report back when I'm done.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Feb 2008 13:54:52 GMT
Last edited by the author on 1 Feb 2008 13:55:16 GMT
I really enjoyed "Quiet Belief" but as to "a new standard in modern writing" you might want to catch up with the unfailingly marvellous James Lee Burke. Similarly great in many ways but I'd say JLB still has the edge.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Feb 2008 14:50:26 GMT
Jo King says:
I haven't read any JLB so I will give it a try but as far as 'Quiet Belief in Angels' goes I was thoroughly hooked until about page 200 (1/2 way) and then it all got a bit samey, I tired of hearing long drawn out descriptions of yet another sherif who quite frankly didn't really contribute to the story in my view and after about the 6th murder I was definitely getting bored. Using more and more horrific ways of presenting the bodies didn't keep my attention either, so a great book but too lengthy as I think from pages 200 to 250 could have been cut out of the book.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Mar 2008 22:24:18 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 16 Jul 2013 09:26:55 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Apr 2008 18:14:39 BDT
trianon says:
I don't normally read crime fiction so I'm not sure what drew me to this book but am glad I was! It's one of the best books I've read in ages and I too ordered all previous books - have just finished Candlemoth which is equally as good. Another new fan acquired.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Apr 2008 15:28:57 BDT
EW King says:
I agree, but he's not the only one out there that writes beautifully about difficult subjects. Have you read the debut novel called The Twilight Time, by Karen Campbell? It's been getting cracking reviews on Amazon, and is very much focused on the real and the emotional, rather than the standard police procedural stuff. If you loved 'Quiet Belief', I think you'd really like this too.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Apr 2008 11:48:08 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 16 Jul 2013 09:21:53 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2008 13:14:56 BDT
Carrie King says:
I so agree!
I just think Ellory is a Master of Words. I cannot stop thinking about this book and the impact it had on me. Roger pulled me in so quickly.....I couldn't get away until the last line....even then I didn't want to get off the hook!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2008 18:15:03 BDT
Jelly Bean says:
I e-mailed RJ Ellory earlier, and he sent me this great reply about how he wrote A Quiet Belief In Angels, and he was really nice. I asked him about all the comments that people have made that draw comparisons between his book and To Kill A Mockingbird, and he says that he has never mentioned Mockingbird in the context of Quiet Belief, and that he feels that they are very different and individual books that really bear no comparison. His view is that Mockingbird was a ground-breaking novel in that it challenged segregation, racism, the attitudes that were still very much evident in the south, and that A Quiet Belief in Angels is simply a novel, and was not meant to be similar in any way at all. Anyway, I found him to be really unassuming and direct, and a very friendly guy!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 May 2008 19:13:38 BDT
mrs waters says:
Hi, I really do not get why people think this man can write. This book is average and that's being nice. It is great that Ellory does not compare his work to 'To kill a mockingbird' that would be an insult to that great book.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2008 07:24:47 BDT
Jelly Bean says:
This is a very insulting comment. 'I really do not get why people think this man can write.' What an extraordinarily strange thing to say about an author. Evidently he can write, and though his writing might not be to your tastes, I consider that saying such a thing is very ignorant and exceptionally rude. What happened to manners?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Dec 2009 00:20:56 GMT
S. MCGEE says:
I couldn't agree more! I found A Quiet Belief so brilliant I couldn't wait to read Candlemoth, which I felt was even better. A Simple Act of Violence, although not the best I've read of Ellory's, is a really gripping read too. How can anyone say this man cannot write?

Posted on 10 Feb 2011 16:10:07 GMT
SPG says:
Quiet Belief and Candlemoth are both amazing but Quiet Vendetta is the best - that's just about my all time favourite book ever.
R J Ellory is a really nice guy too - just try chatting to him on Facebook or Twitter and you'll get a response.

Posted on 6 Apr 2011 18:24:38 BDT
After reading Ghostheart, Candlemoth, Anniversary Man, and all R J Ellory's books I can honestly say I am hooked I have read Quiet belief in Angels three times.He makes you feel you are there with each character he doesn't over describe where the reader can become bored no chance with this author!I am passing my enthusiasm over to all the customers where I work and I work in a Garden shop so work that one out. R J Ellory for President

Posted on 3 Sep 2012 18:48:03 BDT
It seems he's being uniquely writing favourable reviews on his own books.

Posted on 4 Sep 2012 09:21:29 BDT
Mark Pearce says:
Hello Stephen
I don't think unfortunately that he is unique in posting favourable reviews of his own books.There are others doing it.The thing about this guy is that he is fairly mainstream popular i.e he sells so why he would expose himself to this. Just puts him in a long line of nitwits who when caught cite "questionable judgement"or some such when what they really mean is c**p i've been caught for allowing my ego to get the better of me.There seem to be enough people who enjoy his work so as to not warrant him gilding the lily.
Regards

Posted on 4 Sep 2012 13:35:45 BDT
Dawn says:
I can't decide if this disscussion is funny or just sad (apart from the last two posts and of course mrs waters post). Isn't it amazing how many 'agree' with the first post using the same diction and tone.

Posted on 4 Sep 2012 13:43:46 BDT
Dawn says:
I soooo agreeee. just sad i think.

Posted on 4 Sep 2012 13:44:26 BDT
Dawn says:
oops forgot to change my username. my bad.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Sep 2012 22:36:09 BDT
BJB says:
lol Dawn :-D

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Sep 2012 11:11:59 BDT
Tinmar says:
Dawn, I agree with your views on this particular discussion. Cringeworthy is the only appropriate word I can think of for some of the earlier comments. I can only imagine it was a mixture of vanity and insecurity on the author's part but that is no excuse. There is no excuse.

However, my interest was drawn to this story in recent days because I think this is actually a very special book. I am not defending the writer but I will most definitely defend this book. I first read it several years ago when the name of the author meant nothing to me. I had no preconceptions before I read it, I just randomly selected it from a bookshelf because the back sounded interesting. I won't use any flowery language as you'll only accuse me of being RJ Ellory but I'll just say that it remains one of the best books I've read in the past decade. I am fed up of reading books that have been praised to the clouds by critics and nominated for major awards only to discover that they are less interesting than watching paint dry. I prefer to rely on my own impressions and taste irrespective of what anyone else might think. I read a lot of crime fiction and I know that this genuinely is a great book.

Posted on 15 Sep 2012 23:32:41 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 15 Sep 2012 23:51:02 BDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  22
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  8 Jan 2008
Latest post:  2 Jul 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Quiet Belief In Angels
A Quiet Belief In Angels by R.J. Ellory (Hardcover - 22 Aug 2007)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (472)