on 4 December 2012
This software is fantastic and so easy to use. My four eldest children range in age from 7 to 14, and they have all been having great fun with this. It has everything you need to create hours of great animations and mini movies. My eldest daughter is currently taking GCSE Media and she has been able to use this to create some amazing coursework. I have not had to help them with anything, they just took it out of the box, loaded it onto the laptop and away they went!
This would make an ideal christmas or birthday present for any young aspiring director or movie producer, can't praise it enough, the kids words include Cool, awesome, fab and wow...
on 3 January 2013
Bought this for Christmas gift for a child who loves animation. Great gift, giving hours of fun and creativity. At first I thought it was rather overpriced but having had it explained to me by a 10 year old I understand the full potential of the kit! I did research this kit before purchase and agree with other reviewers, it's the best on offer and worth the price. Fully recommend.
on 4 November 2012
This product is fantastic it has all the equipment you need and the software comes on one disc. I am eleven and I haven't stopped playing with it since I got it. Personally I think it would be a great Christmas or birthday present for anyone of my age or older, or younger with a bit of help from a parent.
The website that supports this animation kit has plenty of tutorials for everything on zu3d which are very helpful, although if I am honest I had to watch some more than once. Zu3d comes with some different colour plasticine however I have lego so I used that.
If a there is a child you know who would like to have a go at making their own animated films and likes using a computer then this would be great.
on 21 September 2015
My 9 year old son had being showing an interest in making stop-motion movies for quite some time. His first efforts involved Lego people and a camera to take a photo, then move the Lego person a little, take a photo, and so on. He was getting quite creative and producing some imaginative movies. With Christmas 2014 on its way, we therefore bought the Zu3D Animation Kit. On Christmas morning, the present was unwrapped and this was the gift that got played with first. Setting up the software on our laptop was a doddle and with the supplied camera plugged into a USB Port, the first Zu3D Movie was quickly made.

It is now the end of September 2015 and over the last nine months the Zu3D kit has been and continues to be used regularly. Mostly my son uses the Zu3D on his own, but every so often, he and I will use it together, one of us moving the characters and the other one clicking to take the shot. We have used Lego people, as well as the Hamster Ball (spaceship) and clay (plasticine) figures.

It is fun planning and preparing to make a movie, although as you can imagine, depending on how serious you are about your movie, the planning and preparation can be just a very quick thought process, then away we go. The quality of the movie you make does to a large extent depend upon your patience. To achieve a realistic character movement on screen, requires many small movements and frame captures during the making. If patience is not one of your virtues, then you will find that the on-screen movements of your characters will be jerky instead of smooth and gradual. Quite honestly does this really matter? If you are serious about making semi-professional stop motion animations, then yes, it does matter. If you are having fun with your movie making, but you and your son or daughter don’t have the patience to invest the time into each small progression of movements, then I don’t think it matters. You’ve just spent some fun time together working on a short movie and have a great result to show for it. With the Zu3D kit, you can do either.

The software is very easy to use and you can move or delete frames. This is quite handy when there are two of you. Your itchy trigger finger makes a too quick click which captures a frame with the other persons hand still in the shot. Just delete the frame and click again.

The customer service provided by Zu3D is excellent. We swapped laptops and needed to install the Zu3D software onto the new machine. My email to Zu3D support was met with an extremely quick response from Francesa, who reset the registration code for me. Much appreciated.

Does my son like the Zu3D kit. No, he loves it. It is fun, creative and easy to use. Do I like the Zu3D kit? Yes, for exactly the same reasons.
on 15 November 2014
Becoming a film maker has never been so easy with this stop motion animation set. Basically this means that you move your plasticene models a little bit each time and then add them together (Although you can also use drawing as well). The Zu3D web site gives some great examples of films that have been made - my favourite is the Infant class who has created a film of a dinosaur chasing them through the school - and this is because ZU3d also allows "green screen" technology - eg you can add a live video camera film behind your creation - you really can make a plasticene version of "Top Gun"! Plasticene may make an interesting "Wallace and Grommit" type film but you can also use small toys, lego or even household items and just move them between scenes to make entertaining films.

The kit comes with everything you need: camera (nicely made with its own light source and focus),the green screen, a stage backdrop and even a collection of plasticene (oh, and the all-important software that really is a doddle to use)

The software is simplicity itself to use with the ability to add a vision 'track', multiple "sound tracks" (so you can have background sound effects, voices and music on separate tracks) and a 'green screen" film (such as a video of some world landmark or a real-life piece of film). This really is child's play and the results are astounding - with patience and persistence they can become outstanding [It does take some effort and thought to make a stop motion animation of 100-1000 frames]. As finishing touches the software provides Title screen transitions and credit roll-overs so that you can become the director of the piece.

An excellent start in film making!
on 21 July 2015
I have been using Zu3D in my animation workshops for the last two years and have yet to find a program better on the market. I am a big fan of the interface (which isn't shown in the clip) it has a friendly design with pictorial buttons. Great for young budding animators and will keep the attention of experienced older children.
on 30 November 2015
I bought this for boys aged 6 and 11. They love it! Having looked around for a suitable animaton software I chose this after first trying the demo version that can be downloaded from their website. Webcams and extras can be replaced ... so I was most interested in how the software can be used. I liked the way you can add multiple sound files. You will need good lighting for the 'green-screen' feature to work but is a fun feature. The children love the way you can add credits to the movie and there are a number of other features that are not available on cheaper and free software.
The web cam is fine and is quick to set-up which is what the children want.I have added a cable ties to the base of the camera as I was worried about the cable coming out the back twisting. Considering how much some computer games cost, this software I think is good value for money, and it is great to see them get creative! I am using it on a 5 year old laptop (2MB memory - windows 10)
on 23 May 2015
This thing is brilliant. The software manages to strike a good balance between being accessible and appealing to children with its colourful, chunky looks, but is deceptively sophisticated. You can be up and running and start making an animation in seconds, but as you get more familiar with it, you've got the editing capabilities that let you take on more adventurous projects. My 9 year old son has had great fun with it - perfect for stop-motion Lego movies!
on 13 April 2015
My 10 year old dughter uses this to create her own animations, adding backgrounds and music without any help from me! There's a green screen included and easy to follow tutorials. I've recommended this to all of my facebook friends. We love it. Great value for money. :)
on 11 February 2015
Brought this for our 7 year olds birthday party. Had them making star wars and lego movies and then emailed their parents the finish movie at the end of the party. We spent a couple of weeks learning how to use quickly to ensure we didn't lose their attention on the day when adding the sound effects and music etc but actually it is fairly simple to use once you know how. Zu3d were also quick to reply to an email asking them a question. Fab item that i'm sure my son will get a lot of use out of and that even we enjoyed using.