on 22 May 2012
Zombies on Kilimanjaro is a satisfying and thrilling experience on so many levels--for the physical exploit of the climb that challenges body and soul; for the exquisite travelogue in sumptuous detail that satisfies your lust for new territory and makes you feel you are on that climb with them yourself, meeting international travelers along the way; for the majestic terrain and what you learn about the ecological/environmental ramifications of the sobering legacy we are leaving our children and grandchildren;for the deep conscious soul exploration of a painfully honest man's earnest quest for truth; and most of all, for the profound yearning for the reconnecting of an estranged relationship and the satisfaction that successful bonding brings. In this case, it is the heart-warming story of a father and 20-year-old son; but all of us who yearn for that connection with a loved one--be it son, daughter or parent, sibling or lover--will relate to the emotional realizations of these delightful "Zombies" on their fascinating journey. In all of his provocative books, Tim Ward pushes the boundaries of courage. In every case, it is worth the read and the ride. --Mardeene B. Mitchell, writer and writing coach, Visionaries to Light, Inc.
on 25 May 2012
There are very few rituals for making boys into men in our culture, the ones that come to mind are going into the military, becoming part of a gang (with its attendant parodies of sacred initiations) and fraternity hazing. None of these speaks to me as a true ritual rite of passage; one that leave the participants feeling changed within and without for the better and having become part of something much larger. This father/son journey up the highest mountain in the world has all the ingredients that make this an excellent rite of passage-physical challenge,Nature, fear, and contemplations and conversations that lead to greater self-knowledge. I have heard from my men friends for years about the lack of manhood ceremonies and they all found it to be a missing in their lives. When I heard of this book I was so proud of Tim Ward for coming up with what I thought was a perfect ritual-imagine my surprise to find out that it had occurred spontaneously. The time-honored formula did its trick though and the end of the journey both men are forever changed. Another important aspect of this book is the conversations that led Tim and his son Josh to a better understanding of memes ("A meme is a special kind of idea.It's an idea we can pass on to other people, things like information skills,facts, gossip, scientific knowledge. Replicability-that's the key feature of a meme."-author.)and their place in our evolution. Tim reminded me in his book that it is better to think about the memes you allow in , or at least to be aware of memes at all than to be acted upon by them subconsciously. The thing that really tied this book together for me and was very powerful was Tim's ability to be aware of himself in the center of the generational flow and look both at his son's reaction to him as a dad and Tim's reaction to his own father from the son perspective. I think this is a great book for fathers, sons and the women who love them.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 March 2013
Having recently got back from doing the same route up Kili, I can't quite bring myself to read this - the trip was tough and I'm not quite ready to go through some of the horrors again. A couple of my friends read it during the trip and it seemed to ring very true. Not that I am not immensely pleased and proud that I climbed Kili and got to the top (all of us did),I can't quite yet look back on the experience with affection or nostalgia!
on 17 August 2013
Since my son has climbed Kilimanjaro I thought it
would make a good gift; he says it is not very realistic
BR.
on 29 July 2015
Excellent read, would strongly recommend if you are planning hiking up Killy
on 16 June 2012
This is a gripping travel book with a difference, because it is a multi-layered and well-written narrative that informs and nourishes the reader in differnt ways. At first sight, the work seems a straightforward and colourful account of an ascent of Africa's highest mountain, the delicate ecological balance of which is being tragically threatened by climate change. But the fact that the journey is being undertaken by a seasoned traveller, who is struggling to come to terms with a failed marriage, and his son, who has become estranged from his father due to the trauma of the family breakup, provides an unexpected dimension to the tale. Hidden depths in their relationship are revealed as the author discovers that the very challenges of the tough trek are in fact Life's most valuable gift. The shared hardship brings father and son together again in glad reconciliation as the climb reaches its arduous but successful conclusion. Tim Ward shows courage in the frank and sensitive way he explores painful aspects of his relationships, not only with his son and former wife, but also with his own father.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse