Shop now Shop Now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 19 July 2013
This book is another example of something I've seen happening quite a lot and it annoys me. It is where authors write what should really be done in one novel, but they do it in two separate books instead. This first one is less than 200 pages long, with a standard novel being more likely to be up around 400 pages. For me this is all about money, and while I get greed, I really hate seeing it so blatantly done.

If you think I'm wrong about this, look at the prices for the authors various methods of publication and then compare the prices to other books. Yes, right now the kindle version is free, but I suspect that is more likely down to using the free books to push the book up the amazon sales list so people see it when doing searches, and the book will change price later. I may be wrong, but this is quite common practice with kindle books.

The book itself is not great. I listened to it on audiobook and either there was spelling mistakes, misused words, or the narrator was poor enough to say the wrong words while reading. I suspect from listening to it that it wasn't the narrator's fault, but whichever it was the mistakes didn't get caught.

The characters are very cliché, as are many of the situations the characters get into during the book. I found that half the characters annoyed me enough that I'd have been glad if they got eaten, and the majority of the rest of them I wouldn't have cared overly if they had joined them. A couple of the characters were fine enough, but I found it difficult to really like them because of the interactions with all the ones I found utterly nauseating.

The romance in the book will be bile inducing for most men that read it, and a fair amount of women I would think as well. Younger girls may like it, but honestly the "love/lust triangle/square" between two of the girls and two of the men at times was like reading a bad romance novel. It was like the author was trying to write a romance novel and a horror novel and getting neither quite right. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind romance or sex in a horror novel, but it should not make me feel sicker to the stomach than the horror does.

The action in the book is sometimes okay, but in other cases will just not seem to be believable. Like where two of the characters let a third sit on the bed next to her clearly dead husband that is soon to be getting up as a zombie without doing or saying anything. Also, in other cases where there is just no atmosphere, suspense or fear, which you need to have in a horror novel.

At one point the characters leave a location with hundreds of zombies supposedly there, and I felt about as concerned as if I was surrounded by hundreds of marshmallows due to the way the characters reacted to the situation. These are creatures that have eaten people, they've seen it happen, and it could happen to them at any moment - yet for the most part none of them seem to be scared at all. Certainly I didn't get any sense of it as a reader.

All in all I can't recommend this book. Maybe younger readers will like it, but for me it is another weak novel in the genre to go along with the piles of others that have tried but not really gotten it right.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 January 2014
I decided to read this based on the initial flood of 5-star ratings. Fortunately it's an extremely short read, which meant I didn't have to waste too much of my time.

I don't belong in the target audience (young adults): however, I've read the Twilight series as well as the Hunger Games trilogy, and they're very well written. They also don't FEEL cliched. So onto the review...

I rate this 2/5 because zombies are practically everywhere now. It's not a bad thing, but we want quality zombies, not just disposable ones. What makes the story less than average is that the book is only half a book! You actually have to get the 'sequel' to find out what happens in the second half of the story. That just sucks. Even most novels that are in several parts or volumes can still be fairly decent 'standalone' books - not this one.

I really don't know where to start. There are way too many spelling mistakes, missing words, and incorrectly-used expressions. The author makes no attempt to call zombies anything but just 'zombies'. The storytelling is just descriptive, kind of like a shopping list. Zombies can be more than just 'zombies' - how about antagonist, perpetrator, leftover human being, rotting creature, smelly assailant, gangrenous guy, undead fiend. The author always just says 'zombies'. This is just lazy writing.

For the most part, the book is very easy to read. It's the poor spelling, missing words, and atrocious use of language that spoils it.

The author makes a fair attempt at character development, but it's done in an exceptionally cliched way - and also way too predictable. The characters don't need to be general stereotypes, but somehow she felt it was necessary. Readers are generally not stupid: they will believe anything, so long as it's well written.

Stephen King and Dean Koontz have authored amazing novels - and it's not because their stories resemble anything that could possibly happen (burial grounds that allow reincarnation, pur-lease!), but because their use of language and plot development do not get in the way of a good story. The way this book reads makes me think of how my class used to write in 8th or 9th grade.

PRO: if you're a young teen, it might be fun
CON: poor writing, cliched characters, and what seems like no editing at all are what spoil a potentially decent story.
on 19 October 2013
I'm not quite sure how this came under the search for horror books because the most action there was was a few zombies being hit in the head. There was no suspense or mystery to the book whatsoever and nothing to make me even remotely afraid.
As soon as it was mentioned that the main character did karate or whatever it was I couldn't take it seriously, and couldn't stop myself laughing every time a round house kick was mentioned. I really don't see how this was in any way relevant to the story.

The descriptions of the zombies were completely ridiculous and came across as goofy if anything. I thought zombies were just supposed to go after people's brains, not taunt and smile at them.

Now the characters, first of all I think there was a lot of people who didn't need to be there at all, such as Scott, Nora, Mae, Hannah... and the list goes on. Secondly, as expected, they irritated me, especially Bryce.

Of course the author had to slip in a love triangle, (what is with that these days?) I don't see why there had to be any romance at all in it, they were in the middle of a zombie apocalypse for God sake. Way to ruin it.

Lastly, I have to say the ending was pretty poor, I think it was supposed to be an attempt at a cliff hanger, but really it was just a complete disappointment and a bit of an embarrassment. A lot of loose ends were left, and some charters who seemed quite important vanished into thin air. However, I didn't pick up the book, read the first page and throw on the ground so it must have done something right.
on 8 June 2013
The novel is primarily set within a scene we can all relate to: American town, white picket fences, close knit community, a loving family, and zombies trying to eat your brains. The fast paced novel is a fantastic start to a thrilling series, wherein our protagonist is having one hell of an adventure.

The first critique I have about this installment would be the slow start. I understand that it may be a little harsh and the autor wants us to understand our characters and relate to them, but I felt myself skimming over in some places. My second would be that at times it felt a little cheesey- the charactisation of Cassie was this stong teenager, however at times, she would blurt out something an adult thought a teenager would say, rather than what they really would. Finally, I found myself re-reading some parts or feeling a little confused about what happened, which I believe was the fault of some misplaced punctuation or even some grammatically incorrect sentences.

My overall opinion of this novel is one of satisfaction; although I have critiqued it above, I enjoyed the story wuite a lot. I was swept up in the story line, taken aback at some of the characters and completly flabberghausted at the events that take place!

Will be really looking forward to reading the next installment- reccomending it to friends and family of all ages!
on 23 July 2013
I'm a big fan of zombie books and I'm usually fairly easy to please. But on this occasion I really wish I hadn't bothered. Maybe I should say that I have the utmost respect for anyone who can write a book or even a short story. Unfortunately I just didn't enjoy this one.
The first 50% of the book doesn't feature any zombies and the second half seems more focused on the female characters' infatuation with a male character than imminent death. The source of the outbreak seemed ridiculous to me, the characters la k emotional depth (everyone seems to get over the death if loved ones etc rather quickly), the plot is peppered full of holes and inconsistencies (electric doors opening despite power cuts) and the copy reader should be fed to the zombies. The author seems to have confused Vicks capo rub with Vaseline/petroleum jelly, uses the word "raunchy" to describe a smell.. I wanted to stop so many times but kept convincing myself it would get better. There's absolutely no chance I will be buying the next book.
Apologies to the author for such a scathing review. I really do admire anyone who can write and publish a book.
on 11 January 2013
Pleasantly surprised by this book..It managed to pull me into the storyline.
Good characters and plenty of action in this.
Buy it..I just got the other 2 in the series, hope they are just as enjoyable
as this one :D
on 25 June 2014
...but pretty close. Typos, trashy writing, farcical storyline. Pretty bad. I really can't recommend this at all. Won't be buying the next one.
on 11 August 2013
I am a Huge zombie apocalypse fan but recently have struggle to find a decent one to read that doesn't cost a fortune...then my partner had zombie games sent to my kindle!! I was hooked from the first page,great characters,great story line and great take on the zombie and how they came to be.looking forward to downloading the rest of them an settling down for the evening with a coffee and a new series....highly recommend this book to zombie fans of all ages.
on 16 March 2013
I was pleasantly surprised by this as I had no great expectations upon viewing the cover which seemed generic and weak but persevere and you will be rewarded with a well written, well paced story which features a kick-ass heroine who is more than capable of taking out zombies herself instead of depending on others to save her.
I see this is the first book in a series and think it will be worth following.
on 11 March 2014
Ive had the 1st book sitting on my kindle for a while and finally got round to reading it the other day.

Its a good wee series that keeps you entertained for a while.

Only bad thing about them is that they are all roughly only 200 pages long and with the last 4 books costing around £1.90 each i dont feel like you are getting much reading for you money.