on 29 May 2013
As I come from the States, I have been using these hand warmers for years (probably about 40+)and one should never use a Zippo or simular type lighter as the carbon that comes off the fuel will adhere to the catalytic fibers and clog it. Always use a butane/propane type lighter or gas stove (if close to one!). Zippo make a butane lighter with flexable neck, that I use for lighting a fire when camping and this is a worthwhile investment. I have read the reviews and am disapointed that some people do not get on with the hand warmer. The Zippo hand warmers I have are used at least once a month during the cold weather and I have had them for over 3 years and still going strong. Simply by not using a 'petrol' type lighter to light them. Thanks and I hope this helps all with 3 stars and below. YankyBri
on 12 September 2011
I bought a couple of hand warmers last year, I play a lot of golf and so I thought the Zippo would be good to keep my hands warm during a cold game of golf. Wow! I was right, in fact at times it was too warm, when not in use I used to keep my hand warmer in my pocket but the heat was too much in a confined space. But d not let that put you off they are brilliant. Eventually I needed a replacement wick, but as you cannot buy the material I had to buy this product, It works well as one might expect, as its a direct replacement. The only down side is the cost, and the fact that you need to buy the metal grid along with the wick, so now I have a metal grid sat on a shelf which seems to be a waste.
on 30 October 2012
The Zippo Handwarmer is well made and very strong but the design of the burner is unfortunately not.
My original burner only lasted two or three weeks and gave up being extremely difficult to light and all but useless.
All is not lost however one can buy a replacement burner that fits the Zippo from an Ebay dealer in
Hong Kong which is really good and is no problem to light with a match or lighter.. You get two of them Post free for £4.50. Delivery about 7 days.You can buy 10 at discount.. These burners are designed similar to the Peacock H/Warmer burners but are just slightly larger and push onto the zippo unit like a glove. Normal lighter fuel can be used. So I have toasty hands
on my outdoor life / golf / fishing. Shame that Zippo could not produce a decent burner.. I have the all black Zippo
h/warmer...I used it daily all last winter and its still lighting ..!!!! I hope this helps..alfreso-gear is the man on Ebay I am no way commercially connected to this person
on 21 January 2016
Excellent for value and fast delivery and Excellent for being better than the original catalytic burner design ie: more heat output, longer run time, old burner 6 hours, new burner 10 hours plus at time of writing this.
So I will be getting a few more for spares, and thank you to Imago Global who I highly recommend and to all and will be using again very soon.

Here is a good tip if you have just got hold of a Zippo hand warmer or lighter before first use fill the lighter or warmer, fill to the top but don't over fill, leave the top and catalytic burner off the warmer, with the lighter put back in case but don't close the lid and let them stand for 1/4 to 1/2 hour, then top them up doing this allows the fuel to penetrate the cotton wool filling in the fuel chamber to get the maximum burn time, and reduce the amount of fill ups needed per month, also do this if the warmer or lighter has not been used for some time.

This also goes for other makes of windproof petrol lighter or petrol catalytic hand warmer but only top up DO NOT LET IT OVER FILL SO IT SPILLS OUT OVER THE SIDES, once this is done put everything back together and let the lighter/ hand warmer stand for a further 5 to 10 minuets, to settle down and any excess fuel to evaporate off, so avoiding any flare ups
on 12 June 2012
I seem to be buying a lot of these things, bearing in mind that the instructions would indicate that the catalytic, fibre-glass type filling should last well-over 40 hours (circa a working week). I am now using the proper Zippo fuel, as opposed to the cheaper lighter fuel available in UK supermarkets. Perhaps this was the cause of my repeated attempts to light the thing - lower flashpoint fuel needed. A lot of money for what the burners are, bearing in mind that you can now get the complete handwarmer for around £12. The handwarmer has been conking out of late, leaving me with cold hands at the top of a mountain on occasions. Also, do not expect the thing to stay lit if you are wearing something with a zipped pocket - lack of ventilation makes it go out. The handwarmer is turning out to be not as trustworthy as I first thought and I still carry a couple of the click & heat type for emergencies.
on 12 December 2015
is there anything bad to say about Zippo ? this is one company who have not sacrificed quality over the years HOWEVER !! , the current one of these I have on my hand warmer, I have had to push the glass fiber back in to its holder a little after long runs ( I do appreciate this item was never designed for people running 16-18 miles in training and and stopping off for a quick beer with a pall, but the quality is that, just tuck the wick back in and it works great
review image
on 12 January 2015
These work. I'll buy them again. Currently, (winter 2014-2015) I'm using my handwarmers daily as I have Raynaud's phenomenon. Replacement burners are an essential part of my handwarmer kit. I like to have spare burners just in case the ones that I'm using wear out.

These are a consumable item. The handwarmer instructions said that I should be able to get about 80 uses out of a burner, however, my first burner stopped working after about 40ish uses. I've seen someone say that this could be down to using a zippo lighter to light the burner.

Overall I'm happy with the heat that these handwarmers provide, so will gladly pay the price for hands that are not blocks of ice.
on 16 February 2015
Excellent replacement burner (I set light to the original by not following the instructions). Good fit. This one is better than the original mesh type one as it seems to get the handwarmer going quicker.
on 3 April 2014
Bought this spare burner to go along with a new Zippo Handwarmer just in case the original burnt out quicker than expected. lovely surprise, having now used the burner in excess of ten times that all is still working perfectly and my 'spare' awaits....
on 10 May 2014
The product was as described and was of good quality and keeps your hands and other parts warm. I suffer from back ache and it was effective as a heat pad, so - Good delivery, good price and good product !!!