Colour: Orange 8kg|Change

on 8 February 2013
I've uploaded a couple of pictures so you can compare the size of this to other kettles - also there's a picture of the assembly seam running along the inside of the handle.

It's going to set me back about 9gbp to return the kettle, so I guess I'll be hanging on to it, but it's really only to be used as a door stop. The sheer bulk of this kettle makes it difficult if not impossible to use for a number of activities. (Again see the pictures)

At the price, it's cheap - but it's cheap for a reason.. Personally I shant be expanding my York kettlebell collection beyond this one example.
review image review image review image review image
11 comment| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 May 2010
I work out with kettlebells. I enjoy it. The benefits are obvious and its enjoyable. As a result, I have a few kettlebells of various sizes. The York Vinyl kettlebell is the first time I have moved away from iron kettlebells, a mistake I will not make again.

Firstly, the size is an issue. Due to its large bulk, some exercises are difficult. The vinyl kettlebell is considerably larger than its iron counterpart. I am long limbed, but there are some exercises I will not even attempt with this.

Secondly, and in my opinion most importantly, the vinyl kettlebell has a seam which runs aronnd the diameter of the weight. Initially, this is not much of a problem. However, after an intensive workout with this weight, you will inevitably have some unnecessary blistering to your hands. Blisters and freeweight exercise go hand in hand, but I fail to see the point in using a piece of equipment which will certainly aggravate this problem.

Finally, there are superior kettlebells on the market for a similar price to this one.

Dont consider this item. I advise anyone considering exercising with kettlebells to stick with cast iron ones ( Amazon have a few in a similar price range to this vinyl one ).
44 comments| 172 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 November 2010
I ordered one of these after doing a few kettlebell classes at the gym.

In comparison to the more compact cast-iron bells, these vinyl ones are substantially bulkier. This isn't as noticeable when doing swings and squats but did make it less easy when doing overhead presses etc.

I'd also question how robust it is. The one that I was sent by Amazon was defective; the handle had split and the 'filler' was coming out. This may just have been unfortunate but given that these are likely to hit the floor occasionally, I'm slightly concerned. Btw, Amazon handled the return and refund without any problem.

I'm going to spend the extra cash and get a proper iron kettlebell which should be easier to use and more sturdy.
on 16 December 2011
If you are looking for a way to work out your whole body that doesn't take hours this is for you. You don't need a room the size of Wembley to use it either. Just push back the furniture a bit and you're good to go! Look out for a good dvd to go with it. Try Kettlebell Bootcamp. There is something for everyone in that.
VINE VOICEon 6 November 2009
Number one piece of exercise equipment

I have been going ot the gym for the last few years but I have steered clear of weights of any variety,mainly because I did not feel confident to deal with them

Recently I took up body pump which gets you used to light weights and going through a routine of repetitions. I realised that I would have to build some muscle if I was to improve my fat burning. I have been a few times and after the initial leg aches through squatting with weights I am now quite confident that I know what I am doing.

The gym also gave a free demo on kettle bells. I have never seen of heard of kettle bells so I went along for a 30 minutes demo.

The main activity that its different from anything else is the swing whereby you hold the kettle bell with both hands and use the strength of your legs to increase the swing between your legs and maybe up to chest height. It is your legs not your arms which you have to get used to.

I did that a few times and found the technique different. The other parts of the exercise programme are like other weights but it is a handy manageable size and you don't have bars and weights to keep changing or thinking about.

My partner moans that I have a sit up machine a medicine ball and a couple of 3kg dumbbells in the front room even though they are mainly out of sight. As a result she told me I wasn't allowed to buy fitness equipment that would take up space or not be used.

The beauty of the kettle bells that it takes little space and is very versatile. The worst thing that can happen with it is to use it as a door stop.

After my introduction my inner thigh muscles ached for the next four days so it did something. I watched all the videos on YouTube of the kettle bell and also on Muscle TV.

I read the reviews and decided to get a 8 Kg which is not the smallest but should be challenge for a nearly sixteen stone weakling like me.

It arrived the other day and I w as very pleased with it. I am keeping it in my office to allay any criticism my partner. It takes up little space and only a few repetitions will have the heart pumping.

On Muscle TV one of the presenters went through her top ten pieces of exercise equipment and the kettle bell came out at number one

All in all a great piece of kit. Highly recommended
on 1 December 2009
Fabulous product great results - I did not have much previous knowledge about this product or how to use it but it comes with detailed instructions with picture images which is good. Excellent value for money and highly recommended for toning.
on 13 January 2010
as a beginner i wasn't sure of weight to use so bought 3kg and 6kg Yorkies
the 3kg i find heavy enough for now. They are great to handle, i have quite large hands and
the grip is wide enough, and comfortable, you won't need gloves!
Additonal bonus they were delivered the next day along with DVD to snow bound rural Cumbria!
on 29 November 2014
I own 8kg (orange) and 16kg (green) York Fitness kettlebells, as well as a more traditional 24kg cast-iron kettlebell. The 16kg plastic-encased York is about 40% larger than my plain 24kg cast-iron kettlebell. So it's quite bulky for kettlebell swings between your legs and I could see that being a problem if you are under 6' tall or have tree trunks for quads as you'd have to widen your stance quite a ways.

Bottom line: it's a great kettlebell in terms of having a comfortable grip with plenty of room for 2 hands, but it's far too wide and unwieldy for 16kg.
review image
on 11 July 2010
I love this item. It's very easy to hold. It looks great. This item comes with a very clear exercise guide which tells you to do 10 reps 10 times which i found quite grueling as this kettle bell is quite heavy to lift overhead or do stomach crunches with. I have quite good upper body strength but i have struggled with this weight. Exercising with this weight is very beneficial though as you break out in a sweat just after 20 reps and you do feel as though you had an intense workout. I couldn't get out of bed the next day due to feeling shattered with muscle fatigue. I soon overcame that and have continued with the exercises 3 times a week. You will definitely see results after 2 weeks if used regularly. I would recommend this product but start off with a lighter weight first just to get yourself familiarised with the item.
on 11 June 2011
This kettlebell is good quality & easy to handle. The handle is nice & wide..really easy to grip.

I'm extremely fit & workout on a regular basis & find that this is too low a weight for just doing reps, but is perfect for long Kettlebell aerobic workouts. It's heavy enough to give some resistance & whilst doing a 40 minute workout you can really feel it!!
Some people recommend using a higher weight whilst doing a workout, but I think it would be harder to maintain a full Kettlebell aerobic routine unless you've worked-up to that weight over a period of time.

So...great for a full-on workout, but too low a weight for just reps.