Format: DVD|Change

on 6 November 2009
I absolutely love this yoga DVD. After practising yoga using Patrica Walden's Yoga for Beginner's DVD for a quite a while - which incidently, is an excellent yoga DVD for absolute beginners - I had become very familiar with the poses and I felt I needed to move up and practise yoga at a higher level of difficulty and at a faster pace. This Body Wisdom Yoga for Beginners DVD with Barbara Benagh instructing, fulfilled my requirements beyond my expectations.

Barbara's workouts contained poses I was aleady familiar with, but Barbara also introduced poses that I had not practised before and I felt myself being thoroughly stretched after evey routine. There are various routines to suit different requirements ie. destressing, balance and strength etc and of varying lengths of time; eg. 10, 20, 25, 30 minutes etc depending on how much time you have to practice. The DVD also contains longer routines with a higher level of difficulty for those wanting more. Like Patricia Walden, Barbara Benagh is a practical and very accomplished yogi. However, I would mention that although this DVD says it is for beginners, I feel that someone who has never practised yoga before - unless they are already very flexible - may find this DVD a bit hard.

There is everything I need in this DVD when it comes to practising yoga at home, and I feel I will not be purchasing another yoga DVD in a long while, because this DVD has it all for me.

I highly recommend it!
11 comment|139 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 February 2010
As someone who has never done any yoga before I brought this DVD purely on the strength of the reviews and comments made. I can confirm this is an excellent DVD for both beginners and further aadvanced with easy to follow routines which you can pick and choose from depending on which routines you prefer. I am very satisfied with this DVD so much so that I have recommended the DVD to 2 of my work colleagues who have now also purchased this item.
0Comment|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 29 June 2009
I don't like going to classes because they are far too time consuming and you have to pay ridiculous amounts of money for them and go along with what everyone else is doing. With a DVD I am now able to do Yoga at any time, for however long or short I want and with this DVD in particular, choose the sort of Yoga I want to do.

This DVD, as far as I can see, actually has about 12 workouts rather than just 10. You have 8 short, basic workouts ranging from backbends for 10mins to Sun salutation for 20mins and a couple of relaxation workouts for 20 to 25mins. There's also one workout for strength. Then in the 'As you progress' section, there are longer, more difficult workouts, again ranging from specifics to relaxation. One of them actually goes up to 70mins.

Barbara is a good teacher and shows you different variations for certain poses. For example if you can't easily lie flat on your back with your knees bent open to the ground, she recommends using blocks, but in her interview she points out that they don't have to be yoga blocks, they can be books. She encourages you to 'use your imagination'. So all you really need is the DVD. During the lessons, Barbara talks you through all the poses and tells you a few of the things to be careful of, all the same, I would recommend watching her at certain times and using your own initiative at others.

I've done Yoga only a few times before when I could get to the gym, but this weekend when I got the DVD, I was able to do 4 short workouts in all. I love this DVD! I love the variety. And yes, it is definitely for beginners and for UK users.
11 comment|192 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 June 2010
very useful, easy to follow, just watch it first so you can keep up with the different sections as they happen,or you'll end up suddenly having to jump up, lay down etc. but within each pose the instructions are detailed and take account of different levels of ability, and the overall tone is calm and supportive.
on 29 September 2010
This DVD has all you need to learn yoga.

When the intro (welcome to the DVD) finishes you go to a menu where you have selections.

The first selection is "How To Use This DVD" which has alot of advice to how to get the most out of this. It is five screens of information, easy to read. Includes good guidance about how you may feel differently on different days and how to handle things.

The second selection is an interview with the teacher. She reiterates some of the items on How To Use This DVD. To me, the first and second selections should be watched, it helps alot.

The third selection is for Getting Started, which are different exercises. The first two, Gentle Unwind and Letting Go Of The Day, are 25 and 30 minutes. They are both relaxing things that are easy to do - a varitey of sitting poses and poses where you are lying down with gentle twists and breathing practice. Easy to do (I am new to yoga) and it gave me condfidence. Then there is one ten minute lesson (Backbends), three twenty minute lessons (Sun Salutations, Standing Poses and Strength & Balance) and a thiry minute lesson (Seated Hip Openers). The How To Use This DVD mentioned to try all of them to see which one felt easiest to start with, then work from there. Perfect advice, and she is giving you cues and advice along the way. It is also nice that there are cutaways in the screen from time to time to show further details and ways to change poses to make it easier if you need to.

The last selection is the longer routines for, what they say, is "As You Progress." Here the routines are longer (30 to 70 minutes or so) for when you are past the Getting Started. Once again, she taught things well and if you worked with the DVD per the instructions, you will find yourself being able to do these things also, which is good - it is all on one video. You should note that are the longer routines there are ones that focus on relaxation, which are great.

As the How To Use mentions, everyonee is different, but this DVD was a spot on choice for me.
on 8 June 2009
for my first foray into the world of 'keep fit' DVDs I must admit a little trepidation. There seems to be a lot of choice out there, and it's hard to know which title will be what you're looking for.
Despite having done a little Pilates previously I'd really got no knowledge of yoga
This DVD was a very gentle and informative introduction, teaching yoga basics at an easy but not too slow pace. The beach scenery is beautiful, though it did make me a little jealous sat in my front room...
on 7 April 2014
Think I read the comments and reviews on all of the yoga DVDs on Amazon before I finally chose this one. This says it's for beginners, and a few comments said it was quite hard for newbies, but I haven't found it to be that challenging yet. I do a couple of work outs a week and while I'm usually feeling well worked and achy by the end of each session, it doesn't seem impossible to do. I definitely recommend it to other newbies like me :)
on 5 July 2010
Good product - but perhaps not ideal for a complete beginner. Illness has forced me to return to more basic poses and I like being able to go at my own pace with this DVD. Can't review the more advanced section yet: am still working through the 'simpler' exercises.
on 24 October 2011
A great introduction you Yoga in manageable sessions. Can do a 10-20mins session or put a few together and do an hour. Very convenient for someone who has a busy lifestyle! Would recommend to a friend.
on 21 April 2010
Good DVD to get you back into/begin yoga. The introduction, while slightly long, does prepare you and informs you of the whys and hows so you understand where yoga fits into your life, how it helps you etc. You dont need fancy yoga equipment to go along with the DVD, the instructor will tell you how you can substitute.
There are several segments on the DVD of 15 and 25 mins so you can pick the segment you prefer rather than having an hour long class all the time.
Poses were clear and easy to follow, you are not rushed and you are told where you will feel the stretch which helps you correct your pose.