on 22 July 2013
A surprisingly rich full piano sound for an instrument in this price range. Grand piano 1 is by far the best voice and the others are ok but the electric piano sounds are disappointing. Suits me fine as I wanted it essentially for the piano voice. Easy to set up and takes up far less space than a lot of other digital pianos with less good feel and sound. Keys are nicely graded and weighted and feel quite authentic. Sounds a little 'muddy' sometimes when playing mid-keyboard piano or pianissimo and the transition between the samples (soft to loud) can feel a little clumsy until you get used to it. But the top end is beautifully crisp and clear and the bass is full and impressive - the apparently small built-in speakers handle the sound very well. Overall, I'm very happy with this piano and have enjoyed playing it very much.
VINE VOICEon 13 December 2012
Colour Name: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Positive things first: this is an 88-note weighted Graded Hammer Standard keyboard - in simple terms this means it feels like you are playing a real piano (I'm used to using a 76-note synth-style keyboard, which is fine, but probably classed as an aberration by classically trained piano players) So if you are an experienced piano player you will feel right at home with the p-105.If on the other hand your used to the lightweight keys of a typical synth/home keyboard;your fingers and their muscles will get a bit of a work-out! (That said, the keys are touch sensitive and this can be adjusted to suit your playing style)

The other features are very nice: you can split the keyboard and have a different voice (sound) on the left and right e.g. Electric Bass on the left and Vibes on the right (you can also choose the split point, if you need to, and lower or raise the octave of each voice).The transpose feature allows you to change the pitch of the keyboard, which can come in handy when playing with some other instruments that have fixed ranges/keys or, if you can only play in the key of C (the white notes)There is also a Layer mode which allows you to play 2 voices simultaneously, across the whole keyboard, as well as adjust their octaves and respective levels.

Perhaps less useful (at least for me) is the Duo function which splits the keyboard into 2 halves (at G6) which both play the same octaves (a bit like chopping off the lowest and highest octaves of the keyboard - cloning what remains - then sticking the 2 clones together).Or imagine 2 small-3 octave(and a bit)pianos sitting side by side.Again, each of these `smaller keyboards' can have their voice,octave and volume changed independently of each other. Added to this there is a dedicated headphone output for each of these `2 small pianos' (These 2 headphone outputs work in all other modes and cancel out the on-board speakers - handy for playing/practicing late at night or when you don't want to disturb anyone).This feature is clearly aimed at a Teacher-Pupil situation (whether formal or informal) and allows something that would be impossible on a traditional piano.

There are also on-board metronome,rhythm and `pianist styles' for those who want them (the former again useful in a teaching environment) Another clever teaching/learning feature are the demo songs, of which there are 50! You can turn off the Left or Right Hand part as well as slow down the tempo to play along but you may have to do this by ear as the sheet music is not in the manual and I couldn't see a link to a download site.But these features make me think of the `home keyboards' of yester-year and of John Shuttleworth (check him out on Youtube if you dare!)Don't get me wrong I have used these features, in an attempt to be thorough, but it sort-of feels like cheating a little (Dave Brubeck,God rest his soul would, surely never have used these)
As a footnote to the above there are also 50 Preset songs that are included `for your listening pleasure' and include offerings from Beethoven,Bach,Chopin and Debussy.

The P-105 is described as a Portable Digital Piano and yes it is more portable than a real Piano but, weighing in at 11.7kg (nearly 26lbs) and with a length of 1,326 mm (52 inches), I wouldn't fancy taking it on the bus!

Connectivity is fair with a USB port which can link to a PC or Laptop but there is no `standard' MIDI port which makes it problematic if you wanted to connect to older equipment (pre USB).There is sustain pedal in-put - a basic sustain pedal is supplied (a 3 pedal version is available at an extra cost)- also included are an AC Power Supply and a Music Rest) There are 2 Aux Out/Jack Sockets for connection to an external amplifier if required.The P-105 has 2 x 7W Amplifiers on-board which power 2 x 12cm 2 x 5cm Speakers ( the manual suggests that, while you can play the instrument on a flat surface it will sound better with a dedicated Keyboard Stand. Just as a test, I tried turning the volume up full and could not hear any distortion at all.

The voices (14 of them) are a bit of a mixed bag.There are 2 pianos - one sounds pretty good but I'm not really struck by the other.4 electric pianos 3 of which are fine but the forth has a bit too much vibrato for my ears.3 decent sounding organs.The vibraphone and harpsichord are nice, as are the 2 basses ( an upright and an electric) but the strings are not really convincing at all.
After stating that some of the voices (only 3) fall short of expectations I have to flag-up again the USB connectivity which allows access, via a PC/Laptop, to thousands of voices/sounds/samples which are readily available. There are too many pieces of software to mention but some examples are: Cakewalk,Reason,Ableton,Fruity Loops and Magix. A lot of these are reasonably priced or have `lite' versions which are discounted or free!

The P-105 has a basic recorder (2 tracks) but link it up to a PC/Laptop (with the appropriate software) then the number of tracks and instruments can be almost unlimited!
To sum up, the P-105 has a very realistic feel and although the piano sound itself would not fool an experienced ear; as an alternative to a much heavier space hogging `traditional' piano this has got to be a strong contender.
55 comments|129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 May 2014
This is one of the best digital pianos in this price range. The key action is excellent and it has a nice, warm sound. I preferred this far more than the Casio equivalent.

It comes with a plastic music stand which slots into the top of the piano and a small plastic foot pedal for sustain. If you are used to playing a normal piano you may wish to get one of the more traditional style pedals as the included pedal does have a tendency to move around under your feet.

The range of sounds on the piano are limited but decent enough. The Wood Bass sounds great especially.

At the back there are two 1/4" jack outputs if you want to connect the piano to an amplifier or PA. No XLR outputs are present which is a shame. There is also a USB port which allows you to connect the piano to a computer and use it as a MIDI device for sequencing or to use with notation software such as Sibelius. At the front are to headphone sockets which are handy for teaching or playing with another person.

The piano has a basic recording function which is helpful for remember ideas or listening to yourself playing. There is also a metronome. Reverb, touch sensitivity and transposition can also be adjusted as desired.

Whilst not having a lot of bells and whistles this is certainly good enough for a beginner or an experienced player looking for something transportable and easy to use. You won't get much better for this price.
on 26 February 2015
I bought this as a practice and studio keyboard so am not too bothered about built in additional sounds, However the main grand piano sound is very good, (although if you are only using it through the built in speakers it will be a bit tinny but that is the same with pretty much all digital pianos unless you are spending thousands).

The unit itself is surprisingly light weight so easy to shift around (I've got another weighted 88 note 'portable' workstation but that weighs an absolute ton).

I know there are other brands out there with comparable features but Yamaha is the only one that also make real pianos, and that does show in the keyboard action (the others feel a bit plasticy if you are used to playing piano).

Only negative is the fact that it does not have standard midi in/out, I cannot understand why this has been left out as even the cheaper models have it, marked down 1 star for that.
on 22 July 2014
We don't have room for a full size piano so this was our next option. The weighted keys are just nice. Considering the speakers have to deal with outputting a massive dynamic tonal range, they do it really well. I must say the piano sounds best when cranked up...
I've also started using it with my laptop to control izotope iris spectral synth which is out of this world if you like creating new sounds from existing.
on 24 November 2013
The instrument is very well constructed, the voices, tones and keyboard touch and feel are excellent.
The piano opens up a whole vista of playing for both novice and the more experienced player, just read the owner's manual and see what posibilities await!.
I consider the P105 to be excellent value for money and great fun to play.
I also purchased the Duronic high quality twin X-frame keyboard stand and the Gator stretchy 88 note keyboard cover.
Both have proved to be excellent and I would thoroughly recommend these aditional items.
VINE VOICEon 29 December 2012
Colour Name: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was astonished when this came up on Amazon Vine and leapt at the chance to receive and review it. I only tinker on piano but in the past my wife was really into it. We already had a digital piano (a Bentley something-or-other) but it was pretty cheap and you could tell from the sound so I was very happy to be able to replace it with a Yamaha, who's reputation for making pianos is very good.

I was a little surprised at first when I opened the box as the piano actually feels quite cheap, especially compared to my our old one which was partly made with wood (or something that looked like wood). The P105 is much lighter and, alas, does not come with a stand (or fit the old one we have) so that's something to bear in mind. If you buy this and want a stand, you'll have to fork out an extra £85 (ish) for it.

That's the only negative thing I have to say about it however, as when I turned it on and had a try I was very impressed. As I've already said, I don't have much experience with pianos but I do have some. To me, the keys felt as weighty as a real piano and the sound, while digital can never compare with a real grand, is excellent. It far outshines the old piano.

The other voices, including another variation of grand, four electric pianos, three organs, vibraphone, harpsichord, strings, wood bass and electric bass, all vary in quality. The pianos and organs are all good but the strings and harpsichord are a little ropey. The basses are pretty good though.

One feature I love is the ability to split the keyboard into two sections (the bottom 29 keys and the top 49) which I can see being very useful in the future if our children want to learn how to play.

The piano also comes with a sustain pedal and music stand. Again, they feel a bit cheap but they do the job (although depending on how heavy footed you are, I don't know how long the pedal would last!)

On the back the piano has a USB socket, sustain pedal socket, expansion pedal socket (for a three-pedal board), two jack aux out (left and right) and the power socket. On the from there are two large headphone jack sockets.

Overall I'm very happy with the piano and expect to get years of use out it.
on 30 January 2015
Bought for my son, who is about to take his G8 piano and will be going on to read music at Uni next year. He's thrilled to bits with it. In fact, he says it plays and sounds better than our reasonably decent overstrung upright. So, in spite of the price, I wouldn't call it a 'beginner's' instrument - he anticipates this will get him through Uni and the occasional gig / concert as well. The sound quality of the speakers is astonishing [at the loudest, it's slightly louder than the 'real' piano]; the effects are as realistic as you could expect [ie not very for strings / bass, not bad for jazz / pipe organ!]; and the touch sensitivity of the keys is very good indeed.
on 5 April 2015
Very happy. Have had it for over a year now. No regrets. Perfect for practising, including a bit more demanding stuff. I learnt on a 'normal' piano, and not a bad one, but i can say the keys feel close enough to an accoustic one, so when i sit on our 'real' piano at my mom's when visiting, it doesn't feel too weird. Sound over built in speakers not that great, but actually quite good over headphones. I suppose it might be quite good over a good set of external speakers, but i havent tried that. Came later than ordered, but that additional payment for next day delivery was refunded, so fair enough.
on 18 August 2014
From the moment I opened and set-up the Yamaha P105 I have been more than impressed with both the sound quality and touch-feel quality.

The keys are weighted perfectly to recreate a real piano and are pleasure to play - allowing for some very dramatic playing alongside effortless gentle delicate key strokes.

Sound wise - as a piano I feel it is faultless. Offering 2 grand piano styles, both with their own distinct sound. The first recreating perfectly the sound a the grand piano - full bodied and emotive. The 2nd grand, is some ways my favourite for everyday playing - sounding more like the familiar piano you may find in any room.
Alongside this you have a host of other sounds, which all recreate their instrument immaculately.

The built in speakers are loud and adequate for most rooms - sounding full and rich and most importantly 'none-digital'.

The only thing I find a little disappointing in when using headphones with the piano - as the sound levels all seem much more on one level - making it difficult to distinguish between gentler key strokes and heavier louder ones. This is a small negative though as generally if you want to play without bothering others in the house you can just turn the volume down and the piano still reacts with the correct range of levels.

To anyone professional or amateur I would recommend this digital piano without hesitation.

It is relatively portable - well been quite large and heavy you wouldn't want to have to walk too far with it!

The accompaniments and extras are all interesting but not something I use really as I prefer the natural piano sound.