on 15 July 2009
Don't step on the pedal while switching on your keyboard, and you won't accidentally reverse the polarity (and hence the function). This is a good sustain pedal, suitable not only for keyboards but also for drum kits. It's more compact than the FC4 and doesn't look like a piano pedal, aesthetes will plump for the more traditional-looking FC4 rather than the squat-looking FC5, but hey, looks aren't everything!
on 12 September 2012
I have a Yamaha keyboard which has a built-in sustain feature but it was never designed to be used for practical reason. Without a doubt I need to invest on an external sustain pedal that I have more and better control of. Thankfully my keyboard has an external jack. The Yamaha FC5 came on top of my selection list. Apart from the obvious brand, I thought on the safe side I should get a Yamaha make. The other brand may work but I did not take that chance.

Build and appearance:
It looks and feels sturdy. It is very compact and easily stored away in one of the side compartment of my portable keyboard carrying case.

Performance:
I was very impressed and well pleased. The sustain sensitivity level is just right, very close to what I was expecting, being a pianist myself. However, the non-slippery base does not hold the pedal well on floor surfaces such as vinyl and carpet. This means I have to keep using my foot to position it when playing. Not a big issue as I have since added a better quality non-slippery base.

Conclusion:
It is very unlikely that you will experience compatibility issue if you have a Yamaha keyboard and a safe one to go for. But there is no reason why this will not work on other make. I feel the price is at the top end hence I only give it 4 stars.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 November 2010
In my opinion the best drum / bass machine for practice and gigging is the SR18 and a pair of these Yamaha pedals compliments it perfectly. You'll use one to start the SR18 track patch and the other to switch between A and B versions of the patch AND control the A and B versions of the drum fills. (You might want to colour one so you don't get them mixed up though.) This unit works perfecty and silently with the SR18 and looks tough enough to last a decade. Don't make the mistake of buying something cheap - you'll just worry all the time when playing live.
on 18 October 2008
Absolutely essential if you're serious about playing your keyboard. However, mine developed the niggling fault of arbitrarily reversing its settings so that 'sustain' occurs with the foot off the pedal. Switching the keyboard on and off a few times cures the episode but if you're prone to 'piano rage' please remember that your keyboard is a delicate piece of kit!
on 11 October 2009
does exactly what it should, am very satisfied with the product. I actually find it also more comfortable than the traditional pedals
on 10 May 2013
This pedal has enabled me to make more/better use of my keyboard and is very helpful for the sound effects.
on 14 April 2013
Sturdy but lightweight unit - switches on the release, which might not be what some keyboard players are used to, but I find it helps with precise timing. This could be to do with polarity (the unit I'm using it on - not a keyboard - is centre negative), and there is no way to change that without going inside it for a fairly simple DIY job. Silent in operation, and doesn't slide about. An excellent pedal, which could be slightly improved with the addition of a polarity switch.
on 28 September 2015
Perfect for the gig bag, as a backup for the larger piano-style pedals. And don't be fooled by appearances, this little baby is made of metal, with a good rubber coating, so is very stompable without any feeling that you might risk breaking it! I have two of these that live with my CP-4 in a gig bag pocket, as well as a number of regular piano-style pedals. I don't bother taking the latter to many gigs now, as the FC5 works so well.
on 3 May 2013
arrived very quickly , adds great sustain to my keyboard . Hopes to have hours of good sounds on my keyboard.
on 12 October 2009
it 'unlocks' the ability to use sustain on my keyboard - i never knew my keyboard could even do it until recently, and it's really nice! i'd imagine any, cheaper, pedal would have worked but i chose yamaha as it's pretty certain you're going to get a good product.