Customer Discussions > Xbox 360 250GB Console forum

Xbox 360 NAT: from Strict to Open

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Aug 2011 14:31:36 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Aug 2011 14:32:47 BDT
My Xbox 360's NAT type has been set to Strict (not Open) ever since I connected it to the Belkin router wireless. This is a problem that I cannot resolve and I have went through all of the methods that Microsoft have recommended (as well as made extensive research on the matter) without success.

However I cannot open/forward the required ports correctly, the provided link being the tutorial that I am following.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Belkin/F5D7230-4/Xbox_Live_360.htm

The only problem that I'm suffering from is that the system won't accept port 88; stating that "The public port number can not be 88.Because it will have a collision with the Wireless Router web service." I don't know how to resolve this problem and I have made extensive research on the matter without success.

Can anyone help me resolve this issue please? Many thanks.

Posted on 18 Aug 2011 12:59:44 BDT
john says:
Hi Kurtiss,

I also have a belkin router, and I sometimes have this problem. One way is to set a manual ip address on your xbox (set the last 2 digits to a high number above 10, this is so you do not have an ip address conflict). If you look at your belkin router settings if it is the same as mine it should have a dmz option, and simply put the last two digits from you manual ip address in and save and reset the router.

What this does is places your xbox ip address outside the routers firewall.

Hope this helps you kurtiss if you havent tried this already.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Aug 2011 15:30:32 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 Aug 2011 15:33:12 BDT
So far it appears to be working and I understand the concept, I gave the Xbox 360 a static, not a dynamic (a manual, not an automatic) IP address so that way it will always be using the same address (192.168.2."100") and by confirming that the address is DMZ enabled, it bypasses the Belkin's Firewall, avoiding the restriction issues.

This was one of the methods that I did try previously before; which didn't work, but now I realized that I had to define these properties (on the Belkin and the Xbox 360) BEFORE resetting them, not afterwards as I understood it previously.

Many thanks.

Posted on 16 Sep 2011 16:26:18 BDT
C. Cooper says:
Hey,

This sometimes happens to me playing Black Ops. To rectify you go to dashboard and test the connection. After xbox finishes test NAT is open again. Don't know why it happens though.

no1monkeyman
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  16 Aug 2011
Latest post:  16 Sep 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Xbox 360 250GB Console
Xbox 360 250GB Console by Microsoft (Xbox 360)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (269)