on 10 January 2011
I didn't mean to buy this book but I'm so glad that I did. Although I've made use of XMPP as yet-another-IM-service I'd never bothered to look 'under the hood'. Put simply, this well written book (packed with pertinent examples) has opened my eyes to the potential of XMPP as a platform for application development.

Each chapter builds upon and is a logical progression from previous chapters and material is simply explained and illustrated with appropriate examples of XML and Python. I especially like the choice of Python since it looks like pseudo-code and is thus friendly to developers who use other languages. Another plus is how the authors promote the XMPP development mindset rather than just explain how stuff works. For example, don't change core behaviour, keep complexity at the server, re-use existing protocols and so on.

My only (very minor) gripe is wishing that the example application introduced in the final chapter was longer and bigger in scope so that more stuff could be demonstrated with a practical example. Mind you, I suppose that's just me saying I'd have liked yet more of the same.

Great stuff!
on 21 July 2010
XMPP is an important technology to the future growth of Internet technologies. Increasingly systems are being built using it because it scales much better due to it's design than traditional multi-teir web applications.

This book is a great overview of the technology with high level architectural and design discussion around the protocol and how and where it can be used. It doesn't seek to answer every question or provide a how-to cookbook approach. Rather it talks about concepts and then points back to the very well documented official specifications for the nitty-gritty detail.

In my opinion this is the right approach as in a lot of cases the standards and specifications are still "live" and will have changed since the book was released. This allows the authors to discuss key ideas and concepts in a format that won't go out of date for some time.
on 18 August 2009
I did a technical review of this book, and on the basis of that, I wrote a quote for the publisher to stick on the back - which they did. I stand by what I wrote there - if you want to know about XMPP (aka Jabber) then you really do - honestly - need this book.

There are very few people as qualified as Peter, Kev, and Remko to write this book - they've had an enormous part in making XMPP what it is, and it's quite astonishing that they can not only design protocols and write specifications, but they can also turn out a surprisingly light read which covers pretty much every corner of the technology, in huge depth.

I actually liked reading this book - I'm supposed to know it all, but given who wrote it, it's hardly a surprise that there were one or two new things there for me. But above all, I found it enjoyable. Technical books aren't really meant to be a good read, but it's certainly nice when they are.
on 18 May 2012
A very good book on XMPP, Being new to this techonology, I found it very easy to read and finished the book in a relative short space of time.

The content itself is very useful, would recommend this book to somone starting out in XMPP as well as more experianced developers, contains some useful pointers which even my experianced members of the team didnt know.
on 7 October 2011
Very comprehensive technical reference for understanding and implementing solutions based on XMPP. Presence, messaging, publish/subscribe, examples all covered.

Shame that O'Reilly decided to print to demonstrate that you shouldn't print books on cheap, thin recycled paper. By far the worst packaging imprint I've seen of an O'Reilly publication.
on 10 January 2013
I bought this book because of a school project. I feel like the book started off without enough background information. So I found myself lost when going through examples. Maybe this is better for an advanced XMPP/Python user which I am not