Format: DVDChange

This now completes my set of 'Wycliffe' DVD's. As I live in Cornwall I expect I am slightly biased in my review as we watched the orginal series to spot where they had filmed. When you look again at the series you find and intelligent well crafted detective series. The episodes focus on the detective work rather than the American fast paced shoot out style we get these days. Many of the crimes depicted and solved by 'Wycliffe' and his team are very believable seeing what goes on down here. To add to the strong story lines the producers use Cornwall as a superb backdrop and just about every part of it is used somewhere in the DVD series. Al in all a good strong series that follows not only the crimes being solved but the ups and downs of the lives of each character and their flaws. This makes the series more interesting in many ways. I have very much enjoyed the whole series and so glad it is now back on DVD.
on 26 April 2011
I bought this for my brother and he already had series 1 - 4.
He told me it was equally as good as the rest of his collection.
The stories are interesting and relaxing and he absolutely loves the beautiful scenery.
He also said Amazon prices are marvellous and he has had difficulty finding Wycliffe Series anywhere else.
He thoroughly recommends this Wycliffe Fifth Series.
on 1 January 2011
As usual the Wycliffe series is right up there. Excellent acting, good scripts and well worth owning. It is a pity there are not more series.
Aldous
33 comments3 of 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 June 2013
I have enjoyed watching Wycliffe,I was introduced to this great program during a long stay in Croydon Universit (formerly Mayday) hospital .
I just dont understand why this entertaining show was taken off the air. It had good locations, interesting story lines and a good cast.

I received my order within 24 hours of placing my request, great work to all those responsible for getting it out to me so quickly.
on 24 September 2013
On the face of it, this series is just a police drama set in the glorious Cornish landscape, so it could be viewed as nothing more - a pleasant undemanding entertainment. But as the series developed, so too did the interaction between the main characters, so much so that the series could well be viewed as a study in interpersonal relationships (Wycliffe - Kersey - Lane - Stevens - Le Page - and even within the Wycliffe family.)

It`s extremely well written, especially those that concentrate on the relationships and characteristics of the main players, and is one of the best examples of how a series can develop in depth and complexity as it unfolds, all of which makes it a matter of regret that the series ended when it did and in unfortunate circumstances.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
An excellent continuation of this undemanding but enjoyable series.
on 11 June 2014
I need to know whether or not these discs are closed captioned. Please help. I have only seen a couple shows on PBS in the States. They are always captioned on PBS but not always on discs.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 August 2013
I have enjoyed all the stories in all the Wycliffe tv detective programmes. Jack Shepherd is so gentle as he works everything out with the help of his team. I watch them many times over.
on 11 March 2015
Good as ever but always sad when key actors start to leave towards the end of a long-running series. DI Kersey left a big hole in this fifth series:(
on 19 February 2013
Another excellent DVD of Wycliffe episodes. Thoroughly enjoyed all of them. Will be buying another series soon as a present..