Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > Freedom forum

Wrong version?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Oct 2010 14:16:21 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Oct 2010 14:16:55 BDT
A. G. Lamas says:
Apparently, the version that has been sold over the past few days wasn't the one supposed to. Franzen said that 4th Estate has released an earlier draft of his work (complete with typing errors and faulty characterisations) and that the 'true' Freedom would only be available to the general public from the 4th of October onwards. (For more information: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/oct/01/jonathan-franzen-book-pulped
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/oct/01/jonathan-franzen-freedom-uk-recall)

In case you've got one of the misprinted books, will you be giving it back or keeping it as a sort of memorabilia? Could anyone share their experience in case they got Amazon to exchange their crippled text for a new one?

I must say, I'm in page 345 now and have not realised anything weird...

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Oct 2010 20:43:05 BDT
I was at a reading he did last Saturday (2 Oct 2010) and Franzen is very keen that people don't read the wrong one, and that if they bought it they should avail of the free exchange offer from the publishers. But I haven't seen anything on Amazon to explain how the free exchange works or if the version now being sold is the corrected one.

Apparently there are several typos in it, I know I have spotted 2 in the first 200 pages. And he says there are significant differences in dialogue casting light on one or two characters. I'm inclined to keep the wrong one as memorabilia, although from what I have read, it won't have any special resale value, because so many wrong copies have been printed, and they will be in circulation for years. This problem only arose with the U.K. edition, the U.S. one is fine.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Oct 2010 22:01:10 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Oct 2010 22:03:00 BDT
A. G. Lamas says:
Well, I just got an e-mail from Amazon:

"Dear Customer,

We are contacting you regarding your Amazon.co.uk order which included the following:

Freedom

We have been informed about a recall on this item.

Publisher Harper Collins has recalled this title because the first edition of "Freedom" does not reflect the author's final corrected version of the novel.

Harper Collins would like to replace any first edition copies that have been bought, with an updated edition as soon as it is available. Please contact Harper Collins freephone number (0800 542 0677) to arrange this.

Please visit the link below for more information:
http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/News_and_Events/News/Pages/JonathanFranzen-Freedom.aspx

If you purchased this product as a gift for someone, please notify the recipient and provide them with this information.

We regret the inconvenience this recall has caused you.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Warmest regards,

Customer Service Department
Amazon.co.uk"

So they're referring people to HarperCollins to get it exchanged... but what about those of us who have bought it from abroad? Anyway, I'll just finish it as it is and buy a paperback in the future if they're going to charge me with the delivery fees.

PS: How lucky to attend one of his readings! I hope he comes to Spain when the book is translated...but who knows? Franzen is not very famous over here.

Posted on 5 Oct 2010 22:31:22 BDT
Greg Smyth says:
Does anyone know if the Kindle version is affected by these problems?

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Oct 2010 22:36:05 BDT
A. G. Lamas says:
It isn't.

From the Guardian's webpage (http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/oct/01/jonathan-franzen-freedom-uk-recall):

"It was just a mistake that happened," said Siobhan Kenny, director of communications for HarperCollins UK. (...) The US version of the book is fine, so is the audiobook and the ebook. "

Posted on 6 Oct 2010 11:40:20 BDT
Does anybody know if the version now available for sale here is the updated and corrected print?

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Oct 2010 11:56:29 BDT
And I got the same e-mail from Amazon which was sent around the time I was making my post, but which I only saw later.

Posted on 7 Oct 2010 20:03:22 BDT
Hang on to your first editions, they will be worth more than the corrected version!

Posted on 1 Nov 2010 12:07:52 GMT
Scrutineer says:
The way that Harper Collins is handling the recall is atrocious. Was told on the phone they would send corrected copy and packaging to return. Several days later the packaging arrived and was told I had to send the book back when the replacement would be sent by return. I sent it back and after ten days had to phone them to ask where the book was. Had to wait for ages whilst they looked for my details then told I could expect the book to arrive 'in a couple of days'. Told them what I thought of the delay and their complete incompetence throughout the process.

Hope the book is worth all this!

Incidentally, very unlikely that the duff books will have much value as there are so many of them.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Freedom forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  5 Oct 2010
Latest post:  1 Nov 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Freedom
Freedom by Jonathan Franzen (Hardcover - 23 Sept. 2010)
3.8 out of 5 stars (252)