Format: PaperbackChange

on 20 August 2013
I am midway through the book at the moment but I can already tell that it is a great piece of work. The language and the style make it easy to understand all the concepts shown in the book. Up to date examples is another great feature. I know that writing a decent screenplay is extremely difficult but this book will surely give anyone a sure ground to start from.
on 4 February 2014
Hauge manages to excellently transfer his knowledge onto the reader. The layout is so well structure which makes it enjoyable to follow let alone read. The examples used in the book make it easy to contextualize all the concepts and ideas, and once he has been through the story concept, character development, structure and scene writing with you, Hauge, brilliantly, will then examine and analyse the most commercially successful film of all time in order to show you how all these concepts of screenwriting are put in to use and prove to you that yes, they do actually work. It is the only book you would need to learn to write screenplays effectively. A must-have for any screenplay writer, especially a beginner.
on 23 January 2014
I bought this to read alongside an OU course (A363) and so glad I did as it is so informative and easy to understand. I do wish the author hadn't had decided to remove the section on formatting though as this would have been useful, but still a fantastic book.
on 9 September 2014
I've almost completed my second movie script and until I read the first few pages of this book I thought it was water tight. I've read other script writing books and this one is much better. I'm only on page 30 with many more pages to go. In the first 30 pages of this book, I've managed to learn a number of new things and the way to approach the rewrite of my current script.

There is a good reason why up to now people have given this book 5-stars. Micheal clearly knows what he's talking about and his knowledge is shown clearly in this book.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 October 2014
Brilliant editing tool and for helping authors get to the heart of their story. In my opinion, best used once the first draft is written.
on 11 July 2012
This is a really valuable reference, not only for the screenwriter but also for the novelist. It gives practical advice on how to pace a story and control the suspense for best effect. Some might complain of it being formulaic, but it works for me. Highly recommended.
on 1 February 2013
Some of the books available focus on structuring the screenplay, but this is difficult when you're trying to establish the flow of the events. You need to think creatively for that. This book does not ignore structure, but puts it in perspective.
on 7 January 2013
Brilliant exercises and ideas. Truly inspiring. I will have this book by my side whenever I start on a new script or get stuck along the way.
on 29 November 2012
It's written by someone who is a giant in the industry and has done it all. And it's easy to read and understand
11 comment2 of 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 October 2015
One of the best books on screenwriting. 2 thums up.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse