- Paperback: 240 pages
- Publisher: Oxford University Press, U.S.A. (29 Nov. 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0199760241
- ISBN-13: 978-0199760244
- Product Dimensions: 23.1 x 1.5 x 15.5 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.9 out of 5 stars See all reviews (7 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 116,405 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
Writing Science: How to Write Papers That Get Cited and Proposals That Get Funded Paperback – 29 Nov 2011
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
The advice is clearly explained and illustrated throughout, with abundant real examples of good and bad practice. Readers are also invited to select papers from the primary literature and their own work, and at the end of each chapter are encouraged to use the newly introduced concepts to suggest improvements to them. Scientists and students at all levels will benefit from the practical advice in this book. (Sarah Farley, Chemistry World)
About the Author
Joshua Schimel is Chair of the Environmental Studies Program and Professor Professor of Soil and Ecosystem Ecology at the University of California, Santa Barbara. He is a leading environmental scientist, studying how soil processes regulate ecosystems and the earth's climate. He has authored over 100 papers and has served on panels for the National Science Foundation, N.A.S.A., and other agencies.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
I think he base many of the advises on one of the versions of J.M Williams Style: Lessons in Clarity and Grace.
The book does not have so many bullet point tips, rather it tells about how to progress your revision of the language and structure in text and with showing examples. But many of the paragraphs and sentences one can underline and have as "good to remember sentences". The examples are both of good writing and less good writing which Joshua comment on why they are good and not so good and more important how to fix it. Throughout in the different chapters, on different levels of hierarchy, Joshua reference to other chapters at other hierarchical levels to make it easier to understand how it go together. For example on explaining how to build good sentences he refer back on how to make good paragraphs and an good overall article. He also have a chapter which go through how to make the overall revision got get all the thing together; Structure, Clarity, Flow, Language.
I highly recommend this book if you write scientific articles and want help with improving your language in those.
Normally books for such genre were written by those who teaches English as their profession. But, here you got real working scientist, editor/reviewer for journal, dealing/writing with proposal funding, having at least 13 000+ citations to date..... at your service. The book will not really teach you about basic writting or grammar, but focus more on how to write strong. As he succinctly state: "You don't succeed as a scientist by getting papers published, you succeed as a scientist by getting them cited."
It highly useful for any academician, but I highly recommend any research student, be it undergrad, MSc., or PhD to read it.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Reference > Writing
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Education > Teaching Aids
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Reference
- Books > Science & Nature > Chemistry > Education
- Books > Science & Nature > Chemistry > Reference
- Books > Science & Nature > Mathematics > Education > Teaching Aids
- Books > Science & Nature > Mathematics > Reference
- Books > Science & Nature > Physics > Reference
- Books > Science & Nature > Popular Science > Maths
- Books > Science & Nature > Popular Science > Physics
- Books > Science & Nature > Research & Development
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Biology
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Chemistry
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Mathematics
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Physics
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Research & Development