on 6 December 2003
This book helped me shape my script. It prompted me to consider aspects that I had overlooked. One or two films mentioned are not really rom-coms, but it's still great. Don't forget you can buy scripts to films written by people like Richard Curtis. Read those too.
I got all I wanted from this book and more.
Rom-coms are not the poor relation to 'good' films. They have to be just as well-crafted.
This seems to be the only book of its kind on the market.
on 15 September 2001
This book is full of great ideas and advice which I have found very helpful in sparking off rom-com concepts. It's accessible and not burdened with technical jargon. There are writing excercises at the end of each chapter and lots of examples from famous movies throughout. If, like me, you're looking to specialise in romantic comedy, consider this a 5-star review. I would rate it's usefulness to general screenwriters at 4 stars, but if you are mainly into rom-com, I would heartily recommend this book as a starting point.
on 29 August 2015
This is an excellent book. It offers insights that I haven't read in any other screenwriting book and uses film examples that are easy to find and watch, and also explains structure, theme and subtext in a way that works for any film, not just for rom coms. Written in a helpful, inspirational, easily accessible style. Recommended.
on 14 March 2012
This is a fun book to read. So far I'm on the third chapter; and I'm soaking up information on structure, history and sub-genre types. Plus there are a wealth of films to watch so you can reference the points the author is getting across. It is money well spent.
on 28 January 2016